• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big snowmaking upgrade at Wildcat

SIKSKIER

Wildcat Mountain to Undergo Largest Snowmaking Upgrade in Ski Area’s History.
The snowmaking system at Wildcat Mountain is about to get a major overhaul thanks to a $2 million capital improvement project that will include over nine miles of new snowmaking pipe, more than 150 new high output/high efficiency snow guns and other state-of-the-art facilities as part of a total infrastructure revitalization.
more...
http://www.skiwildcat.com/press-room.html?key=5581

dlague

After last year that is definitely good news. Gotta watch out for those frozen pipes!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

I hope this makes them an early season player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdironRider

+1 if they could get a T2B route using the HSQ that would really be nice and likely would steal some market share from K/SR

Doubtful, but you are going to see a vast improvement mid-season and late season most likely.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Doubtful, but you are going to see a vast improvement mid-season and late season most likely.

It could be lip service, but when the upgrades were announced during the season, the GM said part of the goal was to try and be the first area to open in NH each year. I doubt they'll be going for October like SR and K, but if they can consistently open the first week or so of November with Lynx top to bottom, that would be the best early season terrain in the east IMO.

AdironRider

We're on the same page, my comment was more in reference to being the next SR or Kmart in the terms of opening early.

Bretton Woods would give them a run, but it would be way better terrain at Wildcat.

MadMadWorld

It could be lip service, but when the upgrades were announced during the season, the GM said part of the goal was to try and be the first area to open in NH each year. I doubt they'll be going for October like SR and K, but if they can consistently open the first week or so of November with Lynx top to bottom, that would be the best early season terrain in the east IMO.

If they wanted to open as early as Killington they easily could. Base elevation of 2,000 ft and the notch can definitely help limit crappy early season weather. They are always around late in the season without even trying. They could easily do early season without much effort.

yeggous

If they wanted to open as early as Killington they easily could. Base elevation of 2,000 ft and the notch can definitely help limit crappy early season weather. They are always around late in the season without even trying. They could easily do early season without much effort.

They are also further north. The GM says they want to be an early and late season player. It's likely the want to compete with nearby Sunday River and Bretton Woods, not Killington. Those areas both gun top-to-bottom ASAP whereas Killington takes it's sweet time.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Brad J

I will believe it when I see it. the other mountain has a good system,they just refuse to use it.

doublediamond

Attitash has a lot of old flanged pipe, so for most trails they can't pump to a lot of pressure.

AdironRider

Attitash has a lot of old flanged pipe, so for most trails they can't pump to a lot of pressure.

I was going to say, does anyone really consider Attitash a behemouth for snowmaking.

Crotched is impressive, but they are like one trail pod at Attitash or Wildcat.

MadMadWorld

I was going to say, does anyone really consider Attitash a behemouth for snowmaking.

Crotched is impressive, but they are like one trail pod at Attitash or Wildcat.

They can really pump it out when they want to. Which is usually only before Christmas and February vacation weeks.

JimG.

Staff member
Wildcat is my favorite NH mountain, partly because of it's proximity to Mt. Washington.

A lot of good steep terrain, a lot of fun on a powder day.

snoseek

I've been pretty quick to point out the obvious flaws at Wildcat over the past couple years I'll admit.

This however is great news and will make a HUGE difference....so glad to see this happen even though I don't ski much back east. Fantastic mountain!

yeggous

Attitash has decent capacity from their ASC days. They do a decent job eventually burning the mountain, but they start making snow very late.

Most of the money being spent at Wildcat this season is for new pipe. They bought new compressors last year which provided them with enough power to blow top to bottom for the first time. Unfortunately the higher pressure wreaked havoc on their ancient pipes.

Looking forward Wildcat's next problem will be water supply, and that will be very difficult to solve.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app