• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Park City without Park City?

hammer

Take your bank account with you:-D I'm a fan of the front 4 so PCMR operational or not would not stop me from going to Utah. Something about that mountain has never grabbed me, (Jupiter Bowl is cool though). Like mentioned before it is probably my least favorite Utah resort.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Is Deer Valley really that much more expensive than the other resorts in Park City? The food might have been a bit more expensive but it was up a notch from the usual ski area fare.

Wildcard for me would be the Canyons, didn't make it over there when I went but it seems like reviews there are mixed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is Deer Valley really that much more expensive than the other resorts in Park City? The food might have been a bit more expensive but it was up a notch from the usual ski area fare.

Wildcard for me would be the Canyons, didn't make it over there when I went but it seems like reviews there are mixed.

The walk-up cost is very similar....IIRC last season, peak season, was something like:

DV: $110
PCMR: $106
CAN: $108

trackbiker

The walk-up cost is very similar....IIRC last season, peak season, was something like:

DV: $110
PCMR: $106
CAN: $108

You can get much better deals on Liftopia or the area websites. I paid $82 at the Canyons last season buying from their website a day or two in advance.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You can get much better deals on Liftopia or the area websites. I paid $82 at the Canyons last season buying from their website a day or two in advance.

Very true. I did the same with Canyons on the two days I skied there last season. But I was just saying window rate. FWIW Deer Valley generally has very few discounts.

BenedictGomez

How reliable is the snow in late March to early April at various UT places (Canyons, PC, Snowbird, etc)?

My GF is a teacher and cant take winter vacation, which sucks as much as you all can imagine. However, in 2015 there is a rarish early Easter and she has off from March 27th to April 5th. I've always wanted to ski UT, but I'm wondering what "average" conditions we'd be statistically likely to encounter in that timeframe.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How reliable is the snow in late March to early April at various UT places (Canyons, PC, Snowbird, etc)?

My GF is a teacher and cant take winter vacation, which sucks as much as you all can imagine. However, in 2015 there is a rarish early Easter and she has off from March 27th to April 5th. I've always wanted to ski UT, but I'm wondering what "average" conditions we'd be statistically likely to encounter in that timeframe.

The PC resorts, relatively speaking, don't go too late. Cottonwoods resorts are a better bet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

trackbiker

I've been skiing Utah at Easter for the past several years. Conditions have been great 4 out of 5 years and just very good one year. It's a great time to go because people are no longer booking trips that late in the season and crowds are low.
How's this for 4-24-2011.
Blue Sky Morning.jpg

jimk

This is a little off topic of PCMR, but I concur with TrailBoss and Trackbiker, late Mar early Apr should still be outstanding at higher elev UT resorts (AltaBird, SolBright). I've also had a couple fine Easter trips to CO. Agree on low crowds, friendly weather, discount prices, and good snowpack at higher resorts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was referring to snow conditions, but are you saying some of them already might be closed by late March or early April?

As crazy as it sounds, Park City is lower in elevation than the Cottonwoods areas and they get spring conditions a lot earlier than the others. So some natural snow options at lower elevations may not be so great. For example, the lower parts of Canyons go really fast. So if you want spring conditions then Park City may be an option for that time of year. But if you want powder and colder temps then go higher.

FWIW Deer Valley and Canyons usually close the second weekend of April; PCMR is the next week.