• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huge New Gladed area being developed at Saddleback

tipsdown

I would think they'd need to offer more acreage for the sale to be viable. The money at ski resorts, especially destination low skier visit resorts like Saddleback; is in real estate development. I don't think a buyer would be willing to take on just the ski area and not have opportunities to develop real estate. Like Burke, the mountain would probably benefit greatly by having a four season anchor hotel at it's base.

Could not agree more. If they don't move off that stance then I don't see it selling, unless they basically give it away....I'm sure it will be a tough pill to swallow but most of that 8,000 acres will have to go with it....

dlague

There are a quite a few slopeside condos and there are vacant building lots to be built on but apparently there are no takers or it is slow going. The same lots have been for sale over the past two or three years we have been there.

Edd

We stayed there on mountain this winter. It was a condo downhill from the base. At first glance they're nice but, upon closer inspection, they have a cheap, modular feel to them.

I don't know if the ones uphill from the lodge are different.

dlague

We stayed there on mountain this winter. It was a condo downhill from the base. At first glance they're nice but, upon closer inspection, they have a cheap, modular feel to them.

I don't know if the ones uphill from the lodge are different.

I have stayed in both and the Condos above the lodge are nicer and bigger. Plus you do not have to deal with the lower beginner section of the mountain if you stay above the lodge.

salsgang

Back to the Red Devil glade discussion. They are having a volunteer work day this Saturday to help the on-mountain glade crew and two of the @MaineSkiFamily men are heading up to move some wood. They already have one day in the books and below is a pic. I am looking forward to seeing how this is shaping up. Follow my @MaineSkiFamily twitter feed and A Family Skiing in Maine Facebook page as I hope to post updates on-mountain Saturday. More info and pics at the blog.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20140901_110547496.jpg
    IMG_20140901_110547496.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 275

xwhaler

Looks real nice...look fwd to your report from the hill. This will be the 1st glade at SB to the Western/skiers left side of the double which is nice to give some gladed variety over there.

dlague

Once you pop out of that new glade it will be pretty flat back to the lift and fro a good stretch too! It will be a nice addition in any case to mix it up a bit on their intermediate pod.

salsgang

Once you pop out of that new glade it will be pretty flat back to the lift and fro a good stretch too! It will be a nice addition in any case to mix it up a bit on their intermediate pod.

On the days they have the T-Bar running it will be just a short hop to the T-Bar loading area.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Isn't there also plans for a new lift and trails over on that side of the mountain?

Probably years away. I'd have to imagine the Rangeley double replacement is priority number 1 for them regarding big expenditures.

xwhaler

Isn't there also plans for a new lift and trails over on that side of the mountain?

Probably years away. I'd have to imagine the Rangeley double replacement is priority number 1 for them regarding big expenditures.
A Magalloway lift (5400') was on past trail maps extending up to the little nubble between Red Devil and Hudson Highway....I'm looking at one I have hanging in my cube at work now. In fact there are 4 additional lifts that they have at least put in proposed locations and on various literature.
That said, I know a lot of that was contigent on home/condo sales which I gather to be quite slow. The Rangeley replacement has to be the first to happen I'd think. Without at least 1 HSQ I cant imagine home sales will really boom as that is what the majority of skiers with $ for a 2nd home will want.

xwhaler

On the days they have the T-Bar running it will be just a short hop to the T-Bar loading area.
+1 In the 2 yrs I was a pass holder at Saddleback we did this a lot...lap the T bar for 3-5 runs for some variety. Some good trails over there that have good pitch and challenge. Paramacheene Belle when bumped up, Golden Smelt, Silver Doctor for high speed carving and the Devils for just nice classic New England cruisers.

Nice job helping on the glade and we appreciate your pics! I look forward to checking it out this season.
Does it appear there will be just 1 access in/out point? i.e. can you duck in/out from various points on Red Devil similar to Dark Wizard or is it more like Casa where there is really just the glade on its own not close enough to other trails?

salsgang

+1 In the 2 yrs I was a pass holder at Saddleback we did this a lot...lap the T bar for 3-5 runs for some variety. Some good trails over there that have good pitch and challenge. Paramacheene Belle when bumped up, Golden Smelt, Silver Doctor for high speed carving and the Devils for just nice classic New England cruisers.

Nice job helping on the glade and we appreciate your pics! I look forward to checking it out this season.
Does it appear there will be just 1 access in/out point? i.e. can you duck in/out from various points on Red Devil similar to Dark Wizard or is it more like Casa where there is really just the glade on its own not close enough to other trails?

It is fairly close to the Red Devil trail. I am sure there will be some goat paths in and out but it will not be immediately next to the trail.

On another note there is some Facebook posts about Saddleback purchasing Camden's t-bar.... rumblings they are going to use it for the west bowl expansion. Not sure on timing.

Last edited:

tipsdown

You must be thinking of something else...No flat spots. Brings you to the T-Bar or thru the terrain park and down to the Rangeley Chair.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
My understanding is that they don't expect to complete it this summer. So wherever they finish, they will have it exit onto Red Devil and they will complete the rest next summer.

salsgang

My understanding is that they don't expect to complete it this summer. So wherever they finish, they will have it exit onto Red Devil and they will complete the rest next summer.

They are starting from the bottom... hudson highway up. So if they don't make it to the bee wee pass they will have to do some type of small goat path entry from Red Devil. Will still be awesome regardless from what I saw when I was up there last weekend.