• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Mountain Trip - 3/3/15 to 3/10/15

C-Rex

Hey everyone!

I hope you're all enjoying your summer, but I've already started some planning for the upcoming season.

I am putting together a group trip to Red Mountain in BC. (www.redresort.com) It's been said that it's the most underrated resort in North America with some of the best snow and tree skiing out there, but without the crowds you find at more well known destinations. We'll be staying in the Slalom condos just steps from the lifts. They are modern and luxurious, sporting gourmet kitchens, granite countertops, and private hot tubs on their decks. As far as I know they are all 2 bed/2 bath. The trip will include airfare through delta, leaving from Hartford, but we can look at other departure locations if necessary. Also included are round trip transfers to/from the resort/airport, 7 nights lodging and 5 day lift pass.

Also available, but not included, is cat-skiing through Big Red Cats (www.bigredcats.com). Check out the site and you will see just how awesome this opportunity is. We will most likely be reserving a full cat on one of the days we are there to take advantage of group pricing. Tagging along will be first come, first served, or you can do your own booking. The area also has heli and other cat operations if you'd like to try one of those.

Preliminary pricing is $1699/person and includes all current taxes. I will post again when we nail it all down and start taking reservations. I just wanted to give you guys a heads-up so you could mull it over and be ready to pull the trigger if you wish to do so.

BTW, I run membership and trip organization for the HS Ski Club which is part of the CT Ski Council and I have a few trips under my belt. Savemeasammy went on a trip with me last year so he can testify that I'm not just some scumbag looking to part you from your money. Our club may be subsidizing part of the cost for members as well. I'll have more info about that when I start taking reservations.

dlague

Hey everyone!

I hope you're all enjoying your summer, but I've already started some planning for the upcoming season.

I am putting together a group trip to Red Mountain in BC. (www.redresort.com) It's been said that it's the most underrated resort in North America with some of the best snow and tree skiing out there, but without the crowds you find at more well known destinations. We'll be staying in the Slalom condos just steps from the lifts. They are modern and luxurious, sporting gourmet kitchens, granite countertops, and private hot tubs on their decks. As far as I know they are all 2 bed/2 bath. The trip will include airfare through delta, leaving from Hartford, but we can look at other departure locations if necessary. Also included are round trip transfers to/from the resort/airport, 7 nights lodging and 5 day lift pass.

Also available, but not included, is cat-skiing through Big Red Cats (www.bigredcats.com). Check out the site and you will see just how awesome this opportunity is. We will most likely be reserving a full cat on one of the days we are there to take advantage of group pricing. Tagging along will be first come, first served, or you can do your own booking. The area also has heli and other cat operations if you'd like to try one of those.

Preliminary pricing is $1699/person and includes all current taxes. I will post again when we nail it all down and start taking reservations. I just wanted to give you guys a heads-up so you could mull it over and be ready to pull the trigger if you wish to do so.

BTW, I run membership and trip organization for the HS Ski Club which is part of the CT Ski Council and I have a few trips under my belt. Savemeasammy went on a trip with me last year so he can testify that I'm not just some scumbag looking to part you from your money. Our club may be subsidizing part of the cost for members as well. I'll have more info about that when I start taking reservations.

That is a pretty good deal! Nice!

VTKilarney

I just priced out a trip for those same dates with four adults staying in a two bedroom unit. With 6 days of skiing, rather than 5, it came out to $1,180 USD per person with all taxes included. This did not include airfare or transportation from the airport. The airfare to Spokane was pricing out at $600 for those dates, although I suspect that might decrease at some point. So this package seems fairly priced, although perhaps not that much different than booking on your own.

I'm curious as to what airport this trip will be flying into, since it seems like this resort is not near anything major.

LONGBOARDR

Best bet (cost, proximity, weather issues) IMO for air travel is Spokane WA.
Shuttles to Red run daily and rental cars are an option.
Awesome place

Savemeasammy

Savemeasammy went on a trip with me last year so he can testify that I'm not just some scumbag looking to part you from your money.

I hear that guy has questionable judgement... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-Rex

I just priced out a trip for those same dates with four adults staying in a two bedroom unit. With 6 days of skiing, rather than 5, it came out to $1,180 USD per person with all taxes included. This did not include airfare or transportation from the airport. The airfare to Spokane was pricing out at $600 for those dates, although I suspect that might decrease at some point. So this package seems fairly priced, although perhaps not that much different than booking on your own.

I'm curious as to what airport this trip will be flying into, since it seems like this resort is not near anything major.
Was that the same condos?

Flying into Spokane. Trip also includes transportation from the airport to the mountain and back. Not to mention my club will probably pay $100 each towards the cost for the first 20 people to sign up. And you don't have to deal with booking it yourself.

It's totally possible you may be able to put together a better deal, but you certainly won't go wrong signing up with my group.

jaytrem

Red is a pretty awesome, and that was before the added another mountain. I'm sure you guys will have a great time. I only got one day in there. It was mid-week and VERY quiet. Around opening time it took a good 10 minutes before anybody else showed up at the ticket window (we were looking for somebody to split a 4 pack of tickets with). Most of the other people skiing that day seemed to be local seniors. It might come in 2nd behind Sun Valley in average skier age. I also remember the cafeteria staff being very friendly, even by Canadian standards. Definitely one of my top places to get back to.

MadMadWorld

Red is a pain in the ass to get to from what I hear and it's kind of in a weird spot. Too far south to get the snowfall that Kicking Horse/Revelstoke see but too far north to get slammed from PNW storms. My suggestion is change it to Revelstoke/Fernie/Kicking Horse. Even Lake Louise/Sunshine Village is only a few hour drive. Plenty of cat skiing as well.

HowieT2

Havent been to red, but went to whitewater, which is nearby, this past season. Great skiing. if you're looking for resorty, non skiing stuff, this probably isnt for you. Highly recommend the cat skiing also. We did Wildhorse out of Ymir but heard that Big red cats is similar.
flying in to spokane, the drive up to BC is easy. was able to book flights last year in october for 400 rt.

HowieT2

Red is a pain in the ass to get to from what I hear and it's kind of in a weird spot. Too far south to get the snowfall that Kicking Horse/Revelstoke see but too far north to get slammed from PNW storms. My suggestion is change it to Revelstoke/Fernie/Kicking Horse. Even Lake Louise/Sunshine Village is only a few hour drive. Plenty of cat skiing as well.

I dont believe thats true. couldnt have been much easier to get to. Was less than 3 hours of easy driving including the border crossing from spokane.
and they get tons of snow. pretty much the same as the mtns further north. in fact, the week I was in whitewater last season, I had a friend up north near revelstoke and we got snow and they got 'nothing.
anyway, there was a great article last year in either ski or skiing about whitewater and the skiing around there.

MadMadWorld

I dont believe thats true. couldnt have been much easier to get to. Was less than 3 hours of easy driving including the border crossing from spokane.
and they get tons of snow. pretty much the same as the mtns further north. in fact, the week I was in whitewater last season, I had a friend up north near revelstoke and we got snow and they got 'nothing.
anyway, there was a great article last year in either ski or skiing about whitewater and the skiing around there.

You're going to compare snow totals based on the fact that it snowed once when you were there and it didn't snow at Revelstoke? Look at the numbers, Red averages 225-250. Revelstoke/Kicking Horse average about 425-450 with with a few 500+ years. It's not even close.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
While I've never been there, my impression of Red is that it's regarded similar to Magic Mt. Great terrain and vibe, away from the crowds, awesome on a powder day, just wish they had the higher snow totals of their neighbors to the north.

jaytrem

You're going to compare snow totals based on the fact that it snowed once when you were there and it didn't snow at Revelstoke? Look at the numbers, Red averages 225-250. Revelstoke/Kicking Horse average about 425-450 with with a few 500+ years. It's not even close.

Yeah, unfortunatley Red isn't know for getting a ton of snow. Very cool place otherwise.

HowieT2

I was talking whitewater which also averages about 450 a year. I just looked at the numbers for red and see that they get about 300. stupid of me to assume because of the geographical proximity that Red gets as much as whitewater.

C-Rex

I didn't start this thread to argue about where you think is better. Everyone has their opinion. I chose Red because its something different and while they don't always get the crazy dumps other places get, they are know to get consistent refreshes almost nightly. That makes it a little easier to guarantee decent conditions which you really can't do at other places. I posted to extend an invitation to the people on this forum. If you don't think its a good deal or would rather go somewhere else you are more than welcome to organize your own trip.