• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Telemarketing cell phone calls

skiNEwhere

Am I the only one who's getting telemarketers calling their cell phone? I used to get those types of calls to just my house phone, but now it seems like I get calls from either a cruise line or a car warranty company at least once a month.

It's funny too because they keep trying to have me extend my warranty on my Audi that I sold almost 2 years ago. If I'm not busy, next time they call maybe I'll just waste their time and play along for a while until they ask for payment info and I'll say I don't have the car anymore, like I've stated 10 times already in the past.

The do not call list doesn't seem to be effective either

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I havne't gotten any on my phone thankfully. I do find that incredibly irritating. Although it's less of an issue now that most phone plans have unlimited minutes.

wa-loaf

Don't get any on my cell. Was getting a ton on the home phone, but I plugged it back into the do not call and they've slowed down.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Last Thursday got an office phone call from a telemarketer and the same person called several times earlier in the week. I hung up and they dialed me 5 times in a row , then my cell phone rings.....The only reason I picked up was local. It's the same SOB!!!!
I freaking snapped !!!! And informed them I'm on a no call list...I screamed my ass off . They just kept insisting I have a rebate coming from my utility.
I looked up the number and it was local a few miles away . If they call again ,I'm in my truck and in their office in 1/2hr!!!!

Yesterday got a fake ATT phone phish. from an 800 number. 800-888-8804 , They say it's ATT and my account is flagged for closure .
I should enter last 4 of social.

What do these scumbags have against making an honest living?

dlague

We got rid of our land line and have gone 100% cell. That reduced those calls immediately. However, some laws have changed that could change that! If they call me and I am not busy I will keep them occupied for a while the give them the answer they do not want,

bvibert

Staff member
I used to get spam text messages very rarely, though I haven't in quite a while. I think I got one or two telemarketer calls on my cell phone many years ago, but putting it on the do not call list fixed that, apparently.

Tin

My favorite is the Microsoft "Security", "Tech Department", or "Legal Team" scammers that calls the house from a 5 digit number, thick Indian accent, and tries to get you to get team view running for them. They are fun to play with. "My keyboard doesn't have a Windows key, it's a Mac", "No I work for a law enforcement agency and was just trying to keep you on the phone to trace the call", etc.

Geoff

I cancel my Comcast Digital Voice service every 6 months when I move between Massholia and Vermont. The Massholia number I have now gets telemarketer calls like crazy plus collection agency calls for the previous holder of the phone number. Do-not-call doesn't help. I turned off the ringer and my voice mail greeting is: "This is Geoff. The ringer to this phone is off. Call my cell phone. If you don't have my cell phone, you shouldn't be calling this number."

I telecommute. We use Skype as our text messaging. If I'm at my desk and somebody wants to talk, I Skype them my landline and watch for the incoming call. Occasionally, a co-worker will call and get that voicemail greeting. I have to explain the flood of useless calls.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yesterday my office phone rang ...voicemail picks up....Hang up. Rings again....hang up. My cell phone rings. My blood pressure went up 40pts. Blocked number call. !!@@#^&**(0.
Thinking ...Tomorrow I'll be in the Pokey!!!
Listened to the message...Customer with an emergency LOL