• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

drjeff

Plus that lower HSQ definitely makes the mtn bike loading operations much easier during bike park season. And there's a bunch of trails and features on that part of the mountain and the draw to the area of the amazing Kingdom Trails network

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd bet if the lower quad at Burke was a fixed grip that'd help the bottom line. The resort operates too few of days and sees too few skier visits to warrant 2 hsq's. And of course, that abomination of a hotel must lose money 90% of the year.

Jay needs a lot of work for the on-mountain infrastructure that doesn't see a huge ROI. The tram is a money sink. The Bonnie needs to be a 6pack. Snowmaking needs improvement. I wouldn't touch it either, especially since Vail and Alterra already have a good chunk of the Northeast in their portfolios.
So as to Burke's lower HSQ, the thinking in 2005 was that was the older lift and also a gateway lift for many. The last ten years or so they run it in the summer and fall for biking. It sees more traffic than you think. It is what it is.

As to MidBurke, that deal was a bit more complicated as I understand it. A friend of the mountain and a renewable energy grant (hence the wind turbine) cut the cost. This was installed before Q took over. The thinking was also to entice a buyer.

The Hotel is doing better than you would think. They've attracted a lot of meetings, weddings, and group events. They also regularly fill up for biking. Remember, with Kingdom Trails, the Spring-Summer-Fall are busier than winter. Are they making money hand-over-fist? Probably not. I will have to review the Receiver's reports.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't disagree then, however carpet loading chairs weren't really a thing yet for FG when this particular HSQ went in. Was a bit weird with a HSQ there and just FG serving the main mountain for sure.
I think their intent was to replace both but either because of manufacturing issues, money, or time they only did the Sherburne. After the first season Ginn saw that they were losing tons of money running it as they were (they were WAY overstaffed) and cut back. A lot. The rest we know was history. Ginn was a big loser in the 2007-2008 meltdown.

Zand

generally cheaping it up in lyndon when I'm in the area.
Dare I ask which Lyndonville motel(s) you've dared stay at?

Other then spending a decent dime on the Comfort Inn in St J, I'm not sure what else is even livable up there these days. Parents used to stay at the Lynburke (which is gone now, kind of a shithole but marginally acceptable for human habitiation) and the Fairbanks Inn in St J (which used to be fine but...read up on what they've done with that place the last 2 years). The only other two are the Colonnade (I spent a lot of time in the halls and studios of News 7 during my time up there and they had some INTERESTING death investigations at that place) and the Lyndon Motor Lodge which used to have some shithole bar out front and otherwise was known to be a big drug den. I'm not even sure that place is still open, never really saw cars there.

Last year on my Jay trip I really wanted to stay in the NEK but Burke was charging $225 (on weekdays in mid March...no thanks), the St J Comfort Inn was charging $185, and every other place I can think of I listed above but would never stay at. So just ended up staying in St Albans.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Dare I ask which Lyndonville motel(s) you've dared stay at?

Other then spending a decent dime on the Comfort Inn in St J, I'm not sure what else is even livable up there these days. Parents used to stay at the Lynburke (which is gone now, kind of a shithole but marginally acceptable for human habitiation) and the Fairbanks Inn in St J (which used to be fine but...read up on what they've done with that place the last 2 years). The only other two are the Colonnade (I spent a lot of time in the halls and studios of News 7 during my time up there and they had some INTERESTING death investigations at that place) and the Lyndon Motor Lodge which used to have some shithole bar out front and otherwise was known to be a big drug den. I'm not even sure that place is still open, never really saw cars there.

Last year on my Jay trip I really wanted to stay in the NEK but Burke was charging $225 (on weekdays in mid March...no thanks), the St J Comfort Inn was charging $185, and every other place I can think of I listed above but would never stay at. So just ended up staying in St Albans.
There are other options that are pricier. Wildflower, Mountain View, etc.

Zand

Haha I'm guessing "cheaping it up in Lyndon" doesn't include the Wildflower. Which is more of a B&B anyway, plenty of those to go around in VT but also pricey.

I think this is another reason I like Killington. Lots of cheap places right on the access road that aren't luxurious by any means, but not quite "Rutland Rodeway Inn" bad either. Chalet Killington is my new haunt. Used to stay at the Hillside but Killington bought them out for employee housing. Used to not mind the Snow Lake Lodge at Mt Snow either, but that's also no longer for the public.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Haha I'm guessing "cheaping it up in Lyndon" doesn't include the Wildflower. Which is more of a B&B anyway, plenty of those to go around in VT but also pricey.

I think this is another reason I like Killington. Lots of cheap places right on the access road that aren't luxurious by any means, but not quite "Rutland Rodeway Inn" bad either. Chalet Killington is my new haunt. Used to stay at the Hillside but Killington bought them out for employee housing. Used to not mind the Snow Lake Lodge at Mt Snow either, but that's also no longer for the public.
It is too bad that the former budget accommodations in the Lyndon/St. Jay area have really fallen apart. The LynBurke is no more as you know. Days Inn/Colonnade is pretty worn.

drjeff

I did stay at the Colannade once about 5yrs ago... Not as nice by any means as the Burke Mtn Hotel, but it did the job for the 3 nights me and my daughter were there when she was racing in the VT U14 state Championships that year. Granted the most I remember about that trip was taking out a deer on I-91 about 15 miles South of Lyndonville about 9 at night in the dark (fortunately for me, but not the deer, when I "only" took its head off and turned it into paté when I hit it with the cruise control set at 75, my air bags didn't go off and it basically just took out my passenger side lower valance, and fog light), but I do remember more having cocktails with racer parent friends and coaches (many of whom actually were able to get a room at the Burke mtn hotel since their kids qualified for states weeks before my daughter did that year) than the actual hotel room/amenities!

The one thing you get to experience as a ski Rafer parent, if your kid can qualify for various state/New England/Highschool Championships, is some interesting at times, last minute hotel bookings in the prime time of late February through until roughly St Patrick's Day weekend!

Of the 3 Burke, 1 Stowe, 1 Sugarbush, 1 Middlebury Snowbowl, 1 Stratton, 3 Gunstock, 1 Cannon and 1 Attitash events like that I have been to with both of my kids to date, the Colannade and Clear River Inn (stayed there for Middlebury even though it's closer to Killington) were per my now 18yr old daughter, the "sketchiest" places we stated at. The Burke Mtn Hotel and thus past March at the Eastern Highschool Championships at Attitash when we stayed at The North Conway Grand Hotel, were the nicest in her view

thebigo

Is VT champs at burke every year or does it move around the state?
I did stay at the Colannade once about 5yrs ago... Not as nice by any means as the Burke Mtn Hotel, but it did the job for the 3 nights me and my daughter were there when she was racing in the VT U14 state Championships that year. Granted the most I remember about that trip was taking out a deer on I-91 about 15 miles South of Lyndonville about 9 at night in the dark (fortunately for me, but not the deer, when I "only" took its head off and turned it into paté when I hit it with the cruise control set at 75, my air bags didn't go off and it basically just took out my passenger side lower valance, and fog light), but I do remember more having cocktails with racer parent friends and coaches (many of whom actually were able to get a room at the Burke mtn hotel since their kids qualified for states weeks before my daughter did that year) than the actual hotel room/amenities!

The one thing you get to experience as a ski Rafer parent, if your kid can qualify for various state/New England/Highschool Championships, is some interesting at times, last minute hotel bookings in the prime time of late February through until roughly St Patrick's Day weekend!

Of the 3 Burke, 1 Stowe, 1 Sugarbush, 1 Middlebury Snowbowl, 1 Stratton, 3 Gunstock, 1 Cannon and 1 Attitash events like that I have been to with both of my kids to date, the Colannade and Clear River Inn (stayed there for Middlebury even though it's closer to Killington) were per my now 18yr old daughter, the "sketchiest" places we stated at. The Burke Mtn Hotel and thus past March at the Eastern Highschool Championships at Attitash when we stayed at The North Conway Grand Hotel, were the nicest in her view

drjeff

Is VT champs at burke every year or does it move around the state?
Burke generally hosts one of the age group state championships each year. Stowe, Stratton, Okemo, Sugarbush, Middlebury Snowbowl and Pico as well were the hosts during my kids state championship times.

Up until a couple of years ago VARA would have the boys and girls U14 states at the same mountain at the same time, and U16's were boys at 1 mountain and girls at a different one. Then they started recently spliting up the U14's as well

thebigo

Burke generally hosts one of the age group state championships each year. Stowe, Stratton, Okemo, Sugarbush, Middlebury Snowbowl and Pico as well were the hosts during my kids state championship times.

Up until a couple of years ago VARA would have the boys and girls U14 states at the same mountain at the same time, and U16's were boys at 1 mountain and girls at a different one. Then they started recently spliting up the U14's as well
NHARA champs was at Mitty this year, figured it was every year but may be wrong. Going to have a U8 and U12 this year with a wife that occasionally and unpredictably works weekends. Logistics may be more of a challenge than the actual skiing. Splitting girls/boys champs is nuts. Have friends with boy/girl twins on U12 next year, what are they supposed to do?

drjeff

NHARA champs was at Mitty this year, figured it was every year but may be wrong. Going to have a U8 and U12 this year with a wife that occasionally and unpredictably works weekends. Logistics may be more of a challenge than the actual skiing. Splitting girls/boys champs is nuts. Have friends with boy/girl twins on U12 next year, what are they supposed to do?
The way that VARA did the last couple of years when my 2 were U16's and went to states, was that the boys were held 1 weekend (or more often either a Friday-Sunday or Saturday through Monday) and then the girls the following weekend. And VARA and the host club for states DEFINITELY put on a big show for the athletes at states, that they enjoyed. It was definetly a noticable step up from the regular season long council races. The change that VARA did with splitting the U14 girls and boys championships up into 2 events happened after my youngest moved out of U14's and up to U16's. There were definitely some plusses and minuses when they went to the split championships so who knows if they will keep it that way or go back to both at the same time

And may your U12 this year qualify for what is the de facto U12 Eastern Championships, the Piche's Invitational that Gunstock hosts every year in Mid March. That was still one of the coolest events, both for parents and the athletes that my kids went to (My daughter went as a 2nd year U12 and my son went as a 1st year U14 - it's not as big an event for the U14's as it is the U12's)

crank

Wildflower has a building across the street that is very much motelish and was reasonable when we stayed there during prime leaf peeping season about 4 years ago. WIfe does not want to revisit because we learned that the owners won't do weddings because they couldn't do weddings and not do gay/lesbian weddings.

Used to stay a a cheap divey motel in Newport a long time ago. Also the old Snowline up on 242 right before Jay's access road.

KustyTheKlown

Wildflower has a building across the street that is very much motelish and was reasonable when we stayed there during prime leaf peeping season about 4 years ago. WIfe does not want to revisit because we learned that the owners won't do weddings because they couldn't do weddings and not do gay/lesbian weddings.

Used to stay a a cheap divey motel in Newport a long time ago. Also the old Snowline up on 242 right before Jay's access road.

speaking of asshole hotels... we are going to see phil lesh at bethel in august, and i booked a nice kinda bougie expensive place, and also a backup for less money. i did a little research on the back-up today, and its a tire fire. enjoy these links. specifically the facebook post of today, then the one of october 2020, and then the two recent trip advisor reviews. i've canceled the reservation. bougie $350/night hotel it is.

cdskier

speaking of asshole hotels... we are going to see phil lesh at bethel in august, and i booked a nice kinda bougie expensive place, and also a backup for less money. i did a little research on the back-up today, and its a tire fire. enjoy these links. specifically the facebook post of today, then the one of october 2020, and then the two recent trip advisor reviews. i've canceled the reservation. bougie $350/night hotel it is.

I never realized Bethel is that close to Barryville. My parents have a vacation home in the Poconos about 15-20 minutes from Barryville. Never even remotely crossed my mind that Bethel was around there. For some reason in my mind I always thought it was closer to the NY Thruway and further north.

crank

lol. Recently read an interview with Joe Russo and he was talking about when he used to play with Phil and Bobby, Bob would tell him to slow the tempo and Phil would be telling him to play faster.

Saw DSO recently phakes were really good.