Jay Peak bombshell - Page 105

AlpineZone

Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1088
  1. #1041
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Funny. They have been doing those windholds for years. Granted, Jay gets A LOT of bad weather and wind. And FWIW Sugarbush had a tendency to have a lot of windholds as well.
    Wind holds are one thing... when there's actual wind. But, when Jay puts the Tram "on wind hold" sometimes it will coincidentally be on a day with low crowds and like ~10 mph winds. Rarely do you see mountains shut down their most popular lift for an entire day because at one point in the day there was a high wind gust. You'll see it if the day is going to be 30+ MPH sustained all day or something, but Jay seems to keep the Tram on wind hold even when wind isn't there or has passed.

    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  2. #1042
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Funny. They have been doing those windholds for years. Granted, Jay gets A LOT of bad weather and wind. And FWIW Sugarbush had a tendency to have a lot of windholds as well.
    I can't speak for Jay, but at SB, I'm not about to question their use of windholds. Anytime I've seen SB have a windhold, it has been legitimate. I've been on a lift at SB right before they closed it for a windhold and trust me, it was one of the scariest lift rides ever. And yet when I got back to the base, there was virtually no wind. That wind can be brutal at times in one spot and nothing in another so people tend to think just because there's no wind where they are standing that it can't possibly be windy enough somewhere else to close a lift. SB does seem to have more windholds than some other mountains at times, but each mountain is unique with the way the wind blows and how the lifts are impacted by wind. It is what it is.

  3. #1043
    fbrissette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montreal/Jay Peak
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Wind holds are one thing... when there's actual wind. But, when Jay puts the Tram "on wind hold" sometimes it will coincidentally be on a day with low crowds and like ~10 mph winds. Rarely do you see mountains shut down their most popular lift for an entire day because at one point in the day there was a high wind gust. You'll see it if the day is going to be 30+ MPH sustained all day or something, but Jay seems to keep the Tram on wind hold even when wind isn't there or has passed.
    I'll first state that I rarely ski on week days with the exception of holiday weeks and pow days. I've skied an average of 45 days per year at Jay Peak over the past 8 years. I'm a big fan of closed lifts since I'm always willing to hike or skins. Wind holds are a drag to most, to me it's an opportunity. I cannot remember a single of those hiking days where the wind wasn't howling on top with lifts on wind hold. In several instances it was mind boggling how bad it is up there compared to the bottom. I have noticed however a few instances where winds significantly decreased in the afternoon and the lift would not reopen. I assume they have some sort of time limit where it does not make economical sense to recall lifties.

    I am not saying Jay Peak ain't lying on some low-traffic week days. It's very possible they do. I have not witnessed blatant lying (i.e. wind holds with no wind on top)

  4. #1044

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I can't speak for Jay, but at SB, I'm not about to question their use of windholds. Anytime I've seen SB have a windhold, it has been legitimate. I've been on a lift at SB right before they closed it for a windhold and trust me, it was one of the scariest lift rides ever. And yet when I got back to the base, there was virtually no wind. That wind can be brutal at times in one spot and nothing in another so people tend to think just because there's no wind where they are standing that it can't possibly be windy enough somewhere else to close a lift. SB does seem to have more windholds than some other mountains at times, but each mountain is unique with the way the wind blows and how the lifts are impacted by wind. It is what it is.
    I got to agree with this, unless you are actually taking wind speed measurements 30, 50 or 100 feet up in the air, its not really possible to tell whats going on in the path of a lift or tram.

  5. #1045
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    I'll first state that I rarely ski on week days with the exception of holiday weeks and pow days. I've skied an average of 45 days per year at Jay Peak over the past 8 years. I'm a big fan of closed lifts since I'm always willing to hike or skins. Wind holds are a drag to most, to me it's an opportunity. I cannot remember a single of those hiking days where the wind wasn't howling on top with lifts on wind hold. In several instances it was mind boggling how bad it is up there compared to the bottom. I have noticed however a few instances where winds significantly decreased in the afternoon and the lift would not reopen. I assume they have some sort of time limit where it does not make economical sense to recall lifties.

    I am not saying Jay Peak ain't lying on some low-traffic week days. It's very possible they do. I have not witnessed blatant lying (i.e. wind holds with no wind on top)
    Kudos to you, but you are certainly in the minority. Sure, I'll hike if conditions warrant it and I'm in the mood. But, to suggest hiking as an alternate to actually taking a lift that should be running... that's not comparable.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  6. #1046
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    I have noticed however a few instances where winds significantly decreased in the afternoon and the lift would not reopen. I assume they have some sort of time limit where it does not make economical sense to recall lifties.
    I know at SB if an upper mountain lift can't be opened by somewhere between 12 and 1, then it will typically stay closed the rest of the day even if the wind dies down. Like you said, there's a point where with the limited amount of hours left in a day it just doesn't make economical (and logistical) sense any more to open the lift.

  7. #1047
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Funny. They have been doing those windholds for years. Granted, Jay gets A LOT of bad weather and wind. And FWIW Sugarbush had a tendency to have a lot of windholds as well.
    Yes, this is true at SB but most of it is in the past. They used to use wind holds to cover for mechanical issues

  8. #1048
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,343
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Yes, this is true at SB but most of it is in the past. They used to use wind holds to cover for mechanical issues
    Figured it was that and money. It is true that a lot of SB's lifts on the upper mountain are exposed. The same for Jay, but I know that Jay had a tendency not to run lifts when they could.

    And in other news: https://vtdigger.org/2017/10/03/stat.../#.WdVhTWhSw2x
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  9. #1049
    I think what he's trying to say is when he has hiked, and with the Tram subsequently down, the nuance of upper mtn winds v lower mtn winds was remarkable. We've talked about this before and I'll say it again, we've never made a decision to shut a lift down predicated on pure economics, not since I've been here at least. I can't imagine a scenario where we would. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and, as such, it's no business of mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Kudos to you, but you are certainly in the minority. Sure, I'll hike if conditions warrant it and I'm in the mood. But, to suggest hiking as an alternate to actually taking a lift that should be running... that's not comparable.

  10. #1050
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@jpr View Post
    I think what he's trying to say is when he has hiked, and with the Tram subsequently down, the nuance of upper mtn winds v lower mtn winds was remarkable. We've talked about this before and I'll say it again, we've never made a decision to shut a lift down predicated on pure economics, not since I've been here at least. I can't imagine a scenario where we would. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and, as such, it's no business of mine.
    Hi Steve,

    I really do appreciate your responses and candor, as always. You seem like a stand-up guy and I do not think I have been, but if I have been a dick to you personally at all, I apologize. I really do want Jay to do well and want to go and enjoy it, its just tough sometimes.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:25 AM.