• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

JPTracker

ctdubl07

Funny...I think it was Thursday morning and I caught Charlie Baron in a lengthy interview on "Before the Bell" and he was touting his 5 most recent big buys which included Tesla and Vail.....

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So who believes there are really competing bidders?

Me. One accountant and one lawyer in the Alterra and Vail corporate offices is all it would take to jack up the price for Pacific group and probably delay their ownership by a season or two. Shady but not out of the question given the scope of this purchase. The longer it stays in receivership the longer Jay remains the status quo and falls further behind the competition. And the more Pacific pays for it the less $$$ they have for the sorely needed CapEx improvements.

My black helicopter post of the day, LOL.

jimmywilson69

Maybe so maybe not...

Its still hard for me to understand why vail or altera wouldn't want in on this place. I guess the numbers, which none of us know, really must be closer to year 2000 Jay Peak than 2022 Jay Peak with all of its shiny, corruptly acquired toys.

tumbler

Vail and Alterra are in the ski business not hospitality. The waterpark, hotels probably make it not as desirable because they would have to mange it themselves (not what they do) or pay a third party to manage it. It's a well known mountain on this forum but joe sixpack skier has not heard of it.

jimmywilson69

I would argue that vail is very much in the hospitality business based on the beds and "amenities" they own at their flag ship western resorts. Altera is in the same boat but not as much.

I get what your saying about Jay Peak really being known to their supposed "core" demographic. My guess is the Jay Peak season pass numbers and their potential zip code locations or whatever they call it in Canada aren't enticing enough to think that the investment, even as low as $58 million, wouldn't pad their bottom line/stock price.

tumbler

True on hospitality at their big western resorts but Jay in the middle of nowhere. I don't think Vail owns any of the lodging at Stowe?

mbedle

True on hospitality at their big western resorts but Jay in the middle of nowhere. I don't think Vail owns any of the lodging at Stowe?
The only lodging they own at Stowe is the hotel down at toll house, which is used for employee housing.