• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, we'll soon find out Jay's destiny and this thread can be mercifully buried. RIP
IMO Jay does not easily fit into a tidy box like other ski areas, thankfully. Hopefully that will help in who buys the mountain.
Over the years there has been a steady migration of skiers here to Jay that have had their fill of standard fare and want to expand their ski experience.
Many like myself wind up staying.
This site seems divided between those wanting more "stuff" and those who accept the "Jay foibles" for challenging, ungroomed steep in bounds terrain, sometimes world class powder and a genuine, authentic welcoming vibe. I say choose the path that suits you best and enjoy.

As this new chapter of Jay eventually unfolds, it is important to mention some key people who have had a role in creating and making Jay what it is, in a semi-chronological order:
The Gilpin brothers; Father St Onge; Perry Merrill, Harold Haynes; Don McNally; Walter Foeger; Bill Stenger and Steve Wright.
I'm not a buddy of Steve's but he rightfully deserves IMO outsized credit for steering Jaypeak through some mighty challenging seas.

Bring on the winter!
V/R
Longboardr
A nice tribute to some Jay legends. But you left out the real stars, former owners and the next Bond villains, Big and Little Q, seen here getting to work on their next criminal enterprise.

😆😆😆🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

31633778-5069-468D-A2D9-679D1466D22D.jpeg

BenedictGomez

I'm still surprised he only got 5 years given the massive scope of the fraud & the significant damages caused. No idea when he's eligible for parole, but if it's in only 2 or 3 years & he gets out early the entire thing's a mockery.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm still surprised he only got 5 years given the massive scope of the fraud & the significant damages caused. No idea when he's eligible for parole, but if it's in only 2 or 3 years & he gets out early the entire thing's a mockery.
Exactly. I am pretty pissed.

The fact that Shumlin got a pass is also pretty bad.

LONGBOARDR

A nice tribute to some Jay legends. But you left out the real stars, former owners and the next Bond villains, Big and Little Q, seen here getting to work on their next criminal enterprise.

😆😆😆🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

View attachment 54727
I find it deliciously ironic that Quiros senior was a prison guard in the Army, now on the other side of the bars.
Karma Baby!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I find it deliciously ironic that Quiros senior was a prison guard in the Army, now on the other side of the bars.
Karma Baby!
Well, the other news is that the Receiver has had to sell some trail and feature names to raise some cash. Starting this season, we will have some great new names such as:

* The Jail Triple
* The Boondoggle Quad
* Ponzi Plunge
* Lost Green Card
* Con Am
* Bankruptcy Pond Glade
* Poor House Waterpark
* The AnC Bio First Aid Building
* The first Tram Tower will now be Trump Tower
* The Heist
* Fraudway

And many others.
;)

drjeff

Stuart Winchester of the Storm Skiing Journal reported tonight that there are 3 groups bidding in the auction this Wednesday

bigbob

thetrailboss

Staff member
who really could be in this market?

Vail
Altera
Boyne
Powder
Some Rich dude who just won the lottery?
Well, Boyne has "previously said" that they are not interested in Jay. But that could change.

There, apparently, were a lot of investment funds that were interested in the real estate.

Vail is too big, whether they admit that or not remains to be seen. They can't operate and manage what they have.

Alterra went big at the start and are now not in a buying mood from what I see. But then again that could change. They have a lot of $$$ floating around. It makes sense for them because they own Tremblant, so another reason for the Montreal market to go IKON but, then again, it siphons off business from their Montreal Market Resort (Tremblant).

I would not wish POWDR on my worst enemy. John has his a piece of his Dad's estate, but he, too, has a lot of balls in the air.

thebigo

thetrailboss

Staff member

thebigo

I don't know if a break up fee would apply here as this is an auction and they submitted a bid that has yet to be really "accepted."

From Lift Blog:

Should another buyer prevail, Pacific Group would be paid a breakup fee of $1.25 million plus expenses from the sale proceeds.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

jimmywilson69

so if they decided to pull their bid would they need to pay $1.25 Million? Its sort of odd if they lose they get paid $1.25 Million

cdskier

so if they decided to pull their bid would they need to pay $1.25 Million? Its sort of odd if they lose they get paid $1.25 Million

What would be the point of them pulling their bid? If they don't want to pay more than they originally offered, just don't put in a higher bid and walk away with the $1.25M breakup fee for being outbid.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is what Paragraph 26 of the Motion says. I think it is meant as a way to pay for the costs associated with Pacific's bid (time spent on investigating, sourcing funds, hiring lawyers and professionals to make up a deal, etc.) There are some contingencies though to get said break up fee that have to be met though.