• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

IceEidolon

Another possibility is KSL Resorts directly. They're in PA with Blue and Camelback, they're not short on cash as far as I know, and they're already directly and indirectly competing with their own Alterra money. Jay is already a resort destination, which is their bread and butter.

downdraft

That is what Paragraph 26 of the Motion says. I think it is meant as a way to pay for the costs associated with Pacific's bid (time spent on investigating, sourcing funds, hiring lawyers and professionals to make up a deal, etc.) There are some contingencies though to get said break up fee that have to be met though.
This - the breakup fee to Pacific is intended to cover costs and act as an incentive to set the opening price when making the stalking horse bid.

thebigo

Supposedly minutes from a 2019 meeting:

“The first one is Alterra, they possibly have the funds, second is FoSun (privately owned), third is Pacific Group, fourth is two different groups Snow Operating and a fund called Oz, fifth is AWH (privately owned). He (Elander) stated Vail showed no interest in Jay Peak.”

– Walter Elander

cdskier

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another possibility is KSL Resorts directly. They're in PA with Blue and Camelback, they're not short on cash as far as I know, and they're already directly and indirectly competing with their own Alterra money. Jay is already a resort destination, which is their bread and butter.
KSL is Alterra from what I understand. I believe that it was folded into the Alterra entity. This would be the first time that I have heard that KSL is still an independent going entity. But then again the Aspen Ski Company is a separate going entity from Alterra.

If not, it is a part owner of Alterra (with the Crown family).

cdskier

KSL is Alterra from what I understand. I believe that it was folded into the Alterra entity. This would be the first time that I have heard that KSL is still an independent going entity. But then again the Aspen Ski Company is a separate going entity from Alterra.

If not, it is a part owner of Alterra (with the Crown family).

KSL is definitely still separate. Alterra is just one of the things they're invested in... https://www.kslcapital.com/investments

Edit...in the northeast alone they own/manage a couple resorts separately from Alterra - Camelback and Blue in PA being 2 notable ones.

drjeff

Per an update from the Storm Skiing Podcast, it is confirmed that snow operators (the Big Snow operating group) WON'T be on of the 3 groups bidding.

And the initial bidding process will be in increments of 1.175 million dollars starting via Zoom or similar platform at 11AM.

Should in theory know by early afternoon tomorrow who the new owners of Jay are

Smellytele

My immediate concern is how it will effect my Indy pass.
After that I have concerns of who will have enough money and willingness to improve the skiing experience.

machski

My immediate concern is how it will effect my Indy pass.
After that I have concerns of who will have enough money and willingness to improve the skiing experience.
Regardless of who buys Jay, I think at this point they are committed to the Indy this year. Now, the new owners could institue an Indy reservation system. But I would think that would be the extent of things for this coming season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Please not Vail … Please not Vail … Please not Vail
"C'mon. You all know that I AM a nice guy!"

thetrailboss

Staff member
KSL is definitely still separate. Alterra is just one of the things they're invested in... https://www.kslcapital.com/investments

Edit...in the northeast alone they own/manage a couple resorts separately from Alterra - Camelback and Blue in PA being 2 notable ones.
Very interesting. Thanks for that clarification.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Per an update from the Storm Skiing Podcast, it is confirmed that snow operators (the Big Snow operating group) WON'T be on of the 3 groups bidding.

And the initial bidding process will be in increments of 1.175 million dollars starting via Zoom or similar platform at 11AM.

Should in theory know by early afternoon tomorrow who the new owners of Jay are
Might there be a link so we can watch the fun?