• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

eatskisleep

Maybe just a shield on the right side of the chair that blocks the wind that blows straight from the artic across the flat frozen Canadian tundra.
I’d be happy with that. I just like fresh air, especially in a post-covid world.

Also, Vail Sucks!

crank

From what I remember that patented "Freezer" arctic blast hits you from dead ahead. If them bubbles can power through that I'm all for 'em. Brrr that's a cold ride.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I found myself at Okemo last season for the first time in 50 years. It was a really cold-windy day. I spent 90% of the day on the Bubble-six. The heated seats and the bubble immensely improved the experience. On a warmer day later in the season, we rode bubble-up.

I spend a lot of time at Killington. On really cold and windy days, I used to spend the entire day doing laps on K1. I was pleased when they swapped out the Slowden Quad for the Bubble-six and provided a fast and comfortable ride on those brutally cold days.

The Bubble may not make a difference to the 10K vertical skiers who take a lot of breaks in the day, but if your typical day is 25K to 35K vertical, the enclosed lifts make a big difference.

Smellytele

From what I remember that patented "Freezer" arctic blast hits you from dead ahead. If them bubbles can power through that I'm all for 'em. Brrr that's a cold ride.
nope. You come over the rise about 2/3rds of the way up and it hits you from about 2-3 o'clock as you cross over Alligator ally near staircase

BenedictGomez

Then why the $20M price increase?

Then color me surprised in this environment when few deals are getting done, I saw that the initially named entity's taking control, but I didn't see the updated $18M higher figure. A few pages back I guessed it was worth $60M - $75M, so I think $76M is a fair deal. At least this many-year saga will soon be over.

Last edited:

crank

nope. You come over the rise about 2/3rds of the way up and it hits you from about 2-3 o'clock as you cross over Alligator ally near staircase

Yeah I remember getting all zipped up into chair mode before cresting the ridge. I just remember it hitting me head on. I Used to ski Jay a lot in the 80's up until about the time they opened tore down the old hotel Jay. Have only been a couple of days since.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I found myself at Okemo last season for the first time in 50 years. It was a really cold-windy day. I spent 90% of the day on the Bubble-six. The heated seats and the bubble immensely improved the experience. On a warmer day later in the season, we rode bubble-up.

I spend a lot of time at Killington. On really cold and windy days, I used to spend the entire day doing laps on K1. I was pleased when they swapped out the Slowden Quad for the Bubble-six and provided a fast and comfortable ride on those brutally cold days.

The Bubble may not make a difference to the 10K vertical skiers who take a lot of breaks in the day, but if your typical day is 25K to 35K vertical, the enclosed lifts make a big difference.
Agreed. The Bubbles saved at least half of our recent week at Big Sky when the highs were in the 0-10F range.

I just don't know if Pacific is going to be able to spend that much on new lifts after dropping $76 mill to buy the place. I think a reasonable expectation may be replacing Bonnie with a HSQ and maybe the Jet. Both are approaching 35+ years old.

BenedictGomez

That picture never gets old...

its so incredibly odd

nothing says "have a good time skiing" like that...

I was literally about to post, "that picture never gets old", and then I saw your reply.

It's like a photo some authoritarian dictator would pose with his military brass to frighten the citizenry into submission.

BenedictGomez

I just don't know if Pacific is going to be able to spend that much on new lifts after dropping $76 mill to buy the place. I think a reasonable expectation may be replacing Bonnie with a HSQ and maybe the Jet. Both are approaching 35+ years old.

This is probably correct, but skier's right needs help too. The line at the Freezer now gets so long certain weekends & holidays that it makes you ponder whether skiing that day was the correct choice. The entire period comprising Canuck school vacation(s) is particularly brutal.

drjeff

Between mutiple lifts and snowmaking enhancements as well, realistically it's probably in the neighborhood of 40 to 50 million that likely should be spent over the next say 5 years or so at Jay to get the infrastructure up to where it likely needs to be for the next 10 - 20 years of operations. Not exaclty a small amount, and likely going to have the new ownership taking a long look at how they will allocate their coming capital investments across all of their resort holdings