• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Newpylong

Snowmaking improvements will not be cheap. Their main problem is lack of water. The only solution is to install a pipeline down the mountain to the river. Not cheap! Then they will need to upgrade their pumps and snowmaking system on the mountain. Last season there were trails that they never got to with snowmaking, most noticeably Uler's.

Many trails across the region didn't see snowmaking last year (and the year before in many cases).

IceEidolon

I'd hope for more grooming as a faster fix than more snowmaking for ther recovery problem. A PB600E+ or a Leitwolf can turn rather a lot of icy beginner trail into tolerable surface in the hands of a skilled operator. That's especially true if most of their snowmaking fleet is older low E guns and portable Ratniks and Larchmonts - adding one or two cats to the rotation is likely easier than changing your entire snowmaking plan and adding trails of new Impulse towers.

crystalmountainskier

I agree that while many of the lifts are old and the Flyer is one of 3 NA Leitner HSQ's in existence...
There are actually 10 if you count Canada as part of North America. These lifts are fully supported as Leitner bought Poma, not the other way around. I don't think the Flyer is going anywhere for a long time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The quality of man made snow at Jay is the the absolute worst imaginable. I mean they blow piles so wet they won't open the trail while guns are going. It's just awful. And with the wind there all the natural gets blown right off in places. Whatever those two intermediate trails are off the top of the tram- terrible in my expirence.
Bad wind, bad snowmaking, and wide trails = the real reason they pushed the glades. It is a hell of a lot cheaper to cut some glades then add snowmaking to trails that just can’t hold it with the wind.

That said, the trees at Jay Peak are definitely legit. What makes it work is that they do have the snow to make them awesome. But the trail skiing at Jay Peak, with the exception of the Jet, does suck. It is either too steep to hold snow, wind blown, or slabs across the fall line.

BodeMiller1

Looks pretty fast. Is that a double fall line? Also, pretty sure I see a Squatch coming out of the woods on the left. You can tell by the knuckles almost dragging on the snow (this is not anywhere close to a ski move) it moves in complete silence. Let's keep this on the down low as voices carry. 🫖🚠

MidnightJester

Definitely was doable but a little scary in spots looking at it.
Beware always because the Squatch lurk amongst us in human attire :)~ He looks slightly familiar at that distance though

Tin Woodsman

All you folks clamoring for massive investment on mountain in a hurry (they need to replace Bonnie, Freezer and Jet in the next five years etc.), why?

Jay ain't that broken. They can milk those lifts a lot longer. Plenty of other mountains have with their lifts. And none of Jay's lift ages or speed is catastrophic to the business like say the Attitash triple.

What if Pacific just approaches Jay like they did Ragged? Steady improvements and investments commensurate with the business growth.

Focus on snowmaking first while getting their feet under themselves with the water park, lodging etc, then maybe get to a lift in 3-4 years.

I have a lot of confidence in Pacific based upon what I've read, seen and experienced with Ragged. They have a very loyal and pleased clientele there. They take the same approach with Jay and I see good things while preserving current character which is still great. Not as good as it once was. I miss the dirtier Jay
Don't think they need to back the truck up with additional capital, but any plan that doesn't involve replacing Bonnie is going to be viewed as massively underwhelming. You can quibble with calls to replace Jet, Freezer or other lifts/expansions, but Bonnie is a festering wound that is the missing piece to make the mountain ski more cohesively. If it's up to me, I'd put a widely spaced 6 seater to the higher terminal spot planned above Northway so that you manage capacity while upping speed and wind resistance. Then chop the Bonnie in half and use it to replace the Jet triple, bringing extra capacity and wind-resistance on the cheap for a pod that doesn't require a detatchable lift.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I miss the dirtier Jay
Amen to that! Aside from the GROSS men‘s room I miss the old Stateside Lodge with the porch. The new lodge/hotel leaves me feeling too disconnected from the slope. I liked the view from the old lodge.

But that’s history. Ragged can’t bring that back … or can they?

Smellytele

Amen to that! Aside from the GROSS men‘s room I miss the old Stateside Lodge with the porch. The new lodge/hotel leaves me feeling too disconnected from the slope. I liked the view from the old lodge.

But that’s history. Ragged can’t bring that back … or can they?
Bar is too small at stateside. Stupid bus

BenedictGomez

Are we confident the Vermont Supreme Court wouldnt protect State of Vermont?

Seem to me this needs a Federal investigation*, and if that happens I expect to hear about, "missing records, "deleted emails", and "vanishing hard drives" aplenty.

*PRO TIP: Wait until 2023 once Leahy retires.

BodeMiller1

It's odd The Feds would "put him up" in Florida. The crimes were committed in Vermont. I guess the thinking is if he wants to escape he can swim back to his home land?
This whole thing has had a weird smell to it since day one.

Is this guy and his thugs going to make the victims whole? Nope

Attachments

• Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's odd The Feds would "put him up" in Florida. The crimes were committed in Vermont. I guess the thinking is if he wants to escape he can swim back to his home land?
This whole thing has had a weird smell to it since day one.

Is this guy and his thugs going to make the victims whole? Nope
Um, interesting points. Q lived, and his businesses, were in Florida. That is why the case was in Florida because he was there and that is where they have jurisdiction over him.

And I am pretty sure that Q was born and raised in NYC. I might be wrong. His wife is Korean. So I guess he could swim back to NYC?