• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

JimG.

Staff member
Moderation.

If you don't moderate someone's feelings get hurt and they demand moderation.

When you do moderate people scream their First Amendment rights are being violated.

A total no win for moderators. I've been a moderator for close to 20 years here and I've personally never banned a user. Nothing written here bothers me so much that I need to lash out and cancel anyone. People have a right to act like fools for everyone to see. If someone doesn't like it, that's what the ignore feature is for.

Keelhauled

Moderation.

If you don't moderate someone's feelings get hurt and they demand moderation.

When you do moderate people scream their First Amendment rights are being violated.

A total no win for moderators. I've been a moderator for close to 20 years here and I've personally never banned a user. Nothing written here bothers me so much that I need to lash out and cancel anyone. People have a right to act like fools for everyone to see. If someone doesn't like it, that's what the ignore feature is for.
There may be no winning, but there is definitely a way to lose. Generally if people's feelings are getting hurt they don't make a point of sticking around for more, and the community gradually dies out. Which I suppose for a moderator's workload is a self-solving problem, but it is discouraging to see, and I've seen it from both a user and mod point of view. It's hard enough these days for individual message boards to survive and grow in the face of the popularity of Facebook groups; if you have a community that embraces and is allowed to embrace shit flinging instead of reasonable discourse it's basically a death sentence for getting new members at the same time as your existing community eventually schisms.

SteezyRob

Why do all your FOS posts/ replays reak of shit. Stay up there in your over priced pieces of shit, crap built Toll House Condos. The people who for the most part live there Suck. Yes, as a Child I wanted to live there too. Now you got AH’s who are stuck in shit, trapped by traffic, who say hey, “when it sucks here, I’ll go to Jackson Ass Hole and stink that place up more…” fuck off, self centered asshole. I can’t stand the sight of you in Stowe, on or off the hill. Your posts stink and you F’n suck dick rich Balls arrogant MFer. Stay away from me, forever !!!
af112bff-67bf-4272-9326-41ffb689a8e3_text.gif

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back on (the skin) track:

According to VPR, a significant amount of the amount paid by Pacific is going back to the defrauded investors. Pacific assumed about $9 million of debt in addition to the purchase price.

The sale of a Northeast Kingdom ski resort netted just over $67 million, according to recently filed court documents. The sale proceeds will be distributed to investors who were defrauded by the former owner and president of Jay Peak. The resort was run by a court-appointed receiver for six years after federal regulators revealed that the former owner and president of the resort misappropriated more than $200 million from foreign investors. Pacific Group Resorts bought Jay Peak for $76 million - the Utah-based company runs several ski resorts, including Powderhorn Mountain in Colorado and Ragged Mountain in New Hampshire. The profits from the sale were about $9 million less than the purchase price because Pacific Group Resorts assumed some debts and other financial obligations.

VTKilarney

So now that the whole saga is over, I have an interesting story.

Some of you may remember that I used to post quite a bit about my suspicions that the EB-5 program at Jay Peak was a scam. It was basically Benedict Gomez and I leading the charge - with most people thinking that we were crackpots. We took quite a bit of heat from many of the people here. I spent quite a bit of time doing research and it seemed incredibly obvious to me that something was wrong. Frankly, it should have been obvious to anyone after reading our posts.

About a year before everything fell apart I got a telephone call at work from Bill Stenger. He invited me to meet with him personally up at Jay Peak. I took him up on his offer and he was nice enough to give me a ski pass to make the trip worthwhile.

The meeting was cordial. It was basically an infomercial to try to convince me that everything was on the level. He clearly did not want me posting on this forum, and the meeting was designed to convince me that I was wrong so the posting would stop. I pretty much just listened, since I knew that he was never going to admit that my suspicions were correct. Needless to say, he didn't change my mind. My overall impression was that there was a level of desperation but Stenger somehow believed that they could keep the house of cards from falling.

I never asked how he figured out my actual identity, but I didn't really care since I stood by my posts and my opinions.

I would love to believe that Stenger was an innocent victim in all of this - but I really don't believe that. Which is too bad, because during our meeting he seemed like a very likeable person and that he could have been a good ambassador for Jay Peak.

Last edited:

crank

I was with you as soon as the ANC Bio thing was in play. I wasn't really thinking scam though...just thinking there's no effing way that is happening in Newport.

tnt1234

Some of you may remember that I used to post quite a bit about my suspicions that the EB-5 program at Jay Peak was a scam. It was basically Benedict Gomez and I leading the charge - with most people thinking that we were crackpots. We took quite a bit of heat from many of the people here. I spent quite a bit of time doing research and it seemed incredibly obvious to me that something was wrong. Frankly, it should have been obvious to anyone after reading our posts.

About a year before everything fell apart I got a telephone call at work from Bill Stenger. He invited me to meet with him personally up at Jay Peak. I took him up on his offer and he was nice enough to give me a ski pass to make the trip worthwhile.

The meeting was cordial. It was basically an infomercial to try to convince me that everything was on the level. He clearly did not want me posting on this forum, and the meeting was designed to convince me that I was wrong so the posting would stop. I pretty much just listened, since I knew that he was never going to admit that my suspicions were correct. Needless to say, he didn't change my mind. My overall impression was that there was a level of desperation but Stenger somehow believed that they could keep the house of cards from falling.

I never asked how he figured out my actual identity, but I didn't really care since I stood by my posts and my opinions.

I would love to believe that Stenger was an innocent victim in all of this - but I really don't believe that. Which is too bad, because during our meeting he seemed like a very likeable person and that he could have been a good ambassador for Jay Peak.
Wow, that's crazy.

I wonder how they did figure out your identity....

weird to think they were worried about people posting on a ski forum...

Any links to your old posts? I'd be curious to see just how right you were. I don't remember reading them in real time.

thetrailboss

Staff member

thetrailboss

Staff member

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

While he’s talking to you …

1674580604805.gif

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

thetrailboss

Staff member
Notice how Shummy does not outright deny wrongdoing.

VTDigger has documented how Shumlin and Company KNEW that it was a fraud but made the decision to allow the projects to get done. It was strategic--completed Hotels at Burke and Jay are worth more than uncompleted projects left to rot.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don’t doubt government corruption. I also doubt he was an unknowing pawn.
Yeah I will have to read the affidavit. I think that his quote is being taken out of context. He MUST have known that all was not right. I don't doubt that he was in a bad spot, but he would have figured it out.

There is A LOT of video out there of Shumlin saying exactly what Stenger claims--"these investments are safe because they are audited by the State".