• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

kbroderick

I should have booked 100 hotel rooms many months ago. I was early on this to the point the woman said, "is there something special about that date", we've had other people ask for that so far in advance. LOL. As ThatGuy notes, it's a real crapshoot that it will even be that big of a deal given weather, but if it happens to be a clear day it will be spectacular. If not? Pretty big disappointment ensues.
A friend of mine organized a camping trip near the Continental Divide in Wyoming for the last total eclipse in the US. I was initially skeptical about all the hype, but holy crap was the effort worth it. I was living in Montana at the time, I think we drove six or so hours down and eight back (with a lot of traffic and the busiest single day at the southern gate of Yellowstone), and we also took a scouting and camping trip two weeks prior to have multiple campsites in play. That proved to be a very good decision, as there were a lot of people in that particular area of the national forest for the event.

I should make plans for next year, but they'll probably be relatively nearby and, as you suggest, a bit of a crapshoot due to weather concerns.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We have a place booked in North Troy for the event. Should be cool. If folks are on the fence, they should book now. Pricing is starting to skyrocket, but we got a good deal.

abc

if it happens to be a clear day it will be spectacular. If not? Pretty big disappointment ensues.
How big of a disappointment can it “ensue” to just spend a couple hours waiting for the sky to clear (or not)?

How many times you’ve gone to the mountains in anticipation for a storm that fizzle out?

The only reason NOT to plan for it is because you don’t believe it’ll be all that “spectacular” anyway. Plenty of skiers won’t bother getting up early on a powder day because they just don’t get what the big fuss is about!

VTKilarney

Benedict Gomez in 2011 on AlpineZone said the Jay Peak projects were a sham.

And that more than anything else should tell you how absurd this is given I had ZERO access to State of Vermont's financial data. Just some guy with a barely passing accounting background who took a few hours to look into this & realized with strong conviction that the whole thing was obviously total bull****.

Heck, this thread was started by me 2 years before the state realized that something was amiss.

BodeMiller1

“State to pay $16.5 million” really means “taxpayers to pay…”

If you are on the board of directors for a bank and the bank fails you can be held personally responsible. Never heard of it happening.

Yep, this $16.5 will come from tax payers. Does the state of Vermont have insurance for this? Are the actors bonded?

This is not good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree with him. The ones who were responsible are not being held accountable. Former AG Sorrell’s comments are complete B.S. as well.

machski

I agree with him. The ones who were responsible are not being held accountable. Former AG Sorrell’s comments are complete B.S. as well.
Sort of yes, but sort of no. The State said it audited it's EB-5 programs and vouched for their solidity. As far as I'm concerned, they became part of the mess the second they did this. And while they did not orchestrate the scheme or have an active roll in committing it, they continued to vouch for the program while it was happening under their Audits. Crappy for the residents, but they get what they voted into office unfortunately.

BodeMiller1

It goes back to the "spaghetti map", should a reasonable person pick up on this? seems like yes.
Around Concord we've had issues (big issues) with local people on school board finance... One forgot a zero and cost the town a bunch of money later. This has happened a lot.

What a mess...

BenedictGomez

Sort of yes, but sort of no. The State said it audited it's EB-5 programs and vouched for their solidity. As far as I'm concerned, they became part of the mess the second they did this. And while they did not orchestrate the scheme or have an active roll in committing it, they continued to vouch for the program while it was happening under their Audits. Crappy for the residents, but they get what they voted into office unfortunately.

Did this? No.

They SAID they, "did this", but they didn't actually do it at all.

Let's not even use the fancy "audit" term, an accounting student with a free copy of Excel could have figured this out, let alone the State of Vermont with access to all relevant financial documents & conducting a professional audit! I really cant describe how obvious this all was. State. Of. Vermont. Was. In. On. It.

BenedictGomez

Heck, this thread was started by me 2 years before the state realized that something was amiss.

There was a heated thread even older than this one, like circa 2012, when some of us began questioning this whole thing as fishy, others were vehemently arguing that Vermont's EB-5 was the "safest" in America because it was the only one government run! That would be a doozy to roust up and look at.

BodeMiller1

I hate to tell you guys this, butt because you figured this out and did not report (although you had no duty) everyone on this board may be on the hook for...

I had no idea of the fraud, just thought the whole program was a Trojan horse. Just get a visa like everyone else.

Yepper

thetrailboss

Staff member

raisingarizona

There was a heated thread even older than this one, like circa 2012, when some of us began questioning this whole thing as fishy, others were vehemently arguing that Vermont's EB-5 was the "safest" in America because it was the only one government run! That would be a doozy to roust up and look at.
People that trust the government are.......

I'll let others finish this sentence.

thetrailboss

Staff member
He's BACK! And better than ever!

And getting a bit hot:

Now, it appears, Stenger is back in Goldberg’s fold — publicly.

“Don’t try to make something out of this that it’s not,” Stenger told VTDigger on Thursday.

“You attacked me for 10 years, OK,” he said, adding, “I simply attend the meeting, take notes and report back to Michael.”

Last edited: