• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

mbedle

Little off topic but I see Jay has a new website and I'm not a fan.

What I like to call a little to much fluff and not the core business information visitors need to have readily available. The home screen should at least show a summary of the weather and trail status or have a direct link to them.

BenedictGomez

It wouldnt be so bad if the fonts on everything werent so BIG and so BOLD.

I feel like my eyes need a nap after perusing the new website.

cdskier

What I like to call a little to much fluff and not the core business information visitors need to have readily available. The home screen should at least show a summary of the weather and trail status or have a direct link to them.

Right...unless I'm missing something on Jay's new site it is 3 clicks to get to a trail/weather/condition report (so much for "Find it Fast" as the home page says!). For comparison, Sugarbush, Stowe, and Killington all have 1 click from the home page to the condition report (plus an overview of the current status right on the home page).

Edd

They changed it radically like 5-6 years ago. It went from being highly functional to very pretty-looking shit. I don’t even want to look this time.

bdfreetuna

As a high-end web dev this is interesting.

Their previous site I actually considered one of the best in the industry. Maybe not objectively so, but I liked it. What they replaced it with is clearly below par of their previous game, and makes me wonder why they replaced a perfectly good website at all?

LONGBOARDR

Screw the website, snow dropping on the higher elevations here today.
In the barn prepping the boards, having a couple heady toppers with my season pass hat and celebrating my 25th year at Jay

deadheadskier

Staff member
As a high-end web dev this is interesting.

Their previous site I actually considered one of the best in the industry. Maybe not objectively so, but I liked it. What they replaced it with is clearly below par of their previous game, and makes me wonder why they replaced a perfectly good website at all?
Probably a new marketing person wanting to make their mark.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

I agree the new website is a step down. I see they got rid of there interactive trail map. Its a shame, since if you are not familiar with trail names the lists and statistics are hard to understand if you are not familiar with the ski area and don't know how many are connectors really short...

bdfreetuna

I agree the new website is a step down. I see they got rid of there interactive trail map. Its a shame, since if you are not familiar with trail names the lists and statistics are hard to understand if you are not familiar with the ski area and don't know how many are connectors really short...

They should bring back the interactive map. Even as someone familiar with the trails it makes it really quick and easy to see what's open. Clearly an asset.

BenedictGomez

Agreed, that was the best part of the Jay Peak website.

And I agree with the other poster that the other, other, Jay Peak website from years ago was actually the best website they had, and that the prior website just looked "prettier", but was actually less functional and useful.

Jcb890

Agreed, that was the best part of the Jay Peak website.

And I agree with the other poster that the other, other, Jay Peak website from years ago was actually the best website they had, and that the prior website just looked "prettier", but was actually less functional and useful.
I thought the interactive trail guide was a good idea, but never seemed to function well enough on Jay's site. For example, Killington's interactive trail guide actually works.

Jully

I thought the interactive trail guide was a good idea, but never seemed to function well enough on Jay's site. For example, Killington's interactive trail guide actually works.

The Jay Peak interactive map I thought sucked. It might be better than no interactive map, but just barely IMO. Many resorts have awesome interactive maps, Loon, Sunday River, and Killington, all come to mind as being intuitive and easy to read. Jay's seemed to be their normal PDF map that someone took an eraser too in photoshop. There's better options out there nowadays (there may not have been when Jay first released that map though). I can see why Jay tossed it.

Wouldn't shock me if they release something much better in a few months.

BenedictGomez

I think any interactive trail map > any regular trail map, so I think Jay's online map was a winner in that regard.

That said, yes, once we begin ranking interactive trail maps against other interactive trail maps, Jay Peak's was not very good.

Jcb890

The Jay Peak interactive map I thought sucked. It might be better than no interactive map, but just barely IMO. Many resorts have awesome interactive maps, Loon, Sunday River, and Killington, all come to mind as being intuitive and easy to read. Jay's seemed to be their normal PDF map that someone took an eraser too in photoshop. There's better options out there nowadays (there may not have been when Jay first released that map though). I can see why Jay tossed it.

Wouldn't shock me if they release something much better in a few months.
I was trying a change for a difference and trying to be more optimistic even with my negative comments. I agree with you that the Jay Peak map sucked royally. It was borderline useless.

I think any interactive trail map > any regular trail map, so I think Jay's online map was a winner in that regard.

That said, yes, once we begin ranking interactive trail maps against other interactive trail maps, Jay Peak's was not very good.
Ehhh, when its not really useful, I'd rather just rely on a regular trail map. Jay's old interactive trail map might have been slightly more useful than a static PDF of a map, but just barely.