• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Southwest Airlines....Meh

Geoff

Unless you're an elite-level frequent flyer where you have the perks like preferred seating, shortcutting the TSA security line, and early boarding, all domestic airlines suck. I've been US Airways Chairman's Preferred, United Premier Executive, and Southwest A-List Plus. 4 years ago, I was flying to Philly all the time on Southwest. Relatively inexpensive short notice fares. No change fees. A short enough flight that an aisle seat on a full flight didn't suck too bad. Then Southwest canceled all their Philly to New England flights because they were losing money on all the stranded passengers from Philly airport debacles. Southwest now is really expensive on short notice for anywhere I go and it's rare that I know two weeks out that I'm flying somewhere. To comply with my corporate travel policy, I usually get stuck flying US Airways. They are fine if you're on an Embraer commuter jet that has 2 + 2 seating so you're not stuck with a middle seat but all their other equipment blows if you're flying coach with no frequent flyer status.

Fortunately, I haven't been flying much in the last 18 months. I reached the point where I decided it was easier to drive to Philly in a rental car than fly. I've had a few Atlanta trips, a few Denver trips, and a St Louis trip and that's it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh yeah another thing that SW has done is to shrink the size of their seats. I really noticed that on my last trip to MDW.

JDMRoma

I will never fly Southwest again, after the flight home from my first trip to Steamboat......stuck in-between to really Obese women.....mother and daughter and they wouldn't sit together. Made me sit in-between for what 4 freaking hours. they totally sucked.....had their overages on my lap.....i could just puke thinking about it ! Must say they ate well on the way back.....no surprise there. Assigned seats for me from now on.......fucking misery it was !!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will never fly Southwest again, after the flight home from my first trip to Steamboat......stuck in-between to really Obese women.....mother and daughter and they wouldn't sit together. Made me sit in-between for what 4 freaking hours. they totally sucked.....had their overages on my lap.....i could just puke thinking about it ! Must say they ate well on the way back.....no surprise there. Assigned seats for me from now on.......fucking misery it was !!

Wow. Yikes!

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I heard of this series and have been watching it on YouTube. I feel pretty badly for SW based on some of the clientele that they deal with on a regular basis. This episode has one guy who felt it was OK to wear a miniskirt without any underwear...

AdironRider

can't be anymore annoying than a Harley rolling up alongside you with straight pipes ;)

Were you around Seacoast NH back when Pease was operating. Some hot shot dropped down low and hit the afterburners at like 2am. The entire seacoast thought Pease was under attack.

It was pretty amusing and IMO badass, but a bit more than Harley straight pipes.

darent

I have been a big fan...great service, good fares, etc. But in my last couple trips I've been a bit :???: about them based on some changes. First, after some mergers, their fares are not as great as they used to be. I just ran some numbers for a possible trip back to NE this fall and was really :blink: as to how high they were, relatively speaking. I know that the free bags is a nice perk, but the airlines, and my wife, have convinced me to pack lighter. Second, the whole "upgrade to A status for some $" deal really pisses me off since EVERYONE now does it. It's also a hidden price hike. If you don't pay it, you're relegated to some terrible middle seat and if you're a family forget it. This kind of goes against what their philosophy used to be. And last, the clientele I have come across have been overall pretty rude overall. It's almost become the WalMart of airlines it seems. I feel for their flight attendants.

What have been your experiences? Thoughts?

We're pretty lucky in SLC because we have some choice...Delta is quite good and we've got some JetBlue service. I'd personally avoid United or American based on past experiences.

And I've probably got way too much time to think about this and am probably bored because it is summer...but it's something to talk about.
Have to agree on your assessment, really irks me this special person policy that is becoming the norm.you get a free bag but!! I really liked the first come policy. very well put"WalMart Of Airlines"

darent

yea know that drill!! flight from Providence to Midway with some 500LB sweat hog sitting half on me and no relief from flight attendent. open seat by exit that they wouldn't move me or her too.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I freaking love flying. I know that will sound wierd to everyone but I have always loved aviation and when I have a window seat to this day I press my face against the glass and watch the world spin by below and I love it.

Anyway I am flying Southwest next week to my sister's wedding in Colorado and I think it's my first time on Southwest. The rates were better than Jetblue by about $30 from Boston.

My mother in law is a train wreck about the flight because you can't pick seats. She gets extremely nervous about flying and picking her seat lets her feel like she has some sort of control over what is going on, lol.

bvibert

Staff member
My mother in law is a train wreck about the flight because you can't pick seats. She gets extremely nervous about flying and picking her seat lets her feel like she has some sort of control over what is going on, lol.

I'm not at all nervous about flying, but I need to know where I'm sitting. I would not handle no assigned seats very well at all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My last flight was on Alaska Air to Seattle a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't able to select my seats. I'm not sure if this was because the flight was booked for me by a third party or if that's par for the course with them. On the way out I was 4 rows from the back and on the return I was two rows from the back. Sucked. I prefer sitting as close to the front of the plane as possible if only for the deplaning experience. It pisses me off to no end how long it takes people to get their shit together and get off the plane.

bvibert

Staff member
My last flight was on Alaska Air to Seattle a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't able to select my seats. I'm not sure if this was because the flight was booked for me by a third party or if that's par for the course with them. On the way out I was 4 rows from the back and on the return I was two rows from the back. Sucked. I prefer sitting as close to the front of the plane as possible if only for the deplaning experience. It pisses me off to no end how long it takes people to get their shit together and get off the plane.

It's ridiculous how long it takes some people to get moving.

JDMRoma

I freaking love flying. I know that will sound wierd to everyone but I have always loved aviation and when I have a window seat to this day I press my face against the glass and watch the world spin by below and I love it.

Anyway I am flying Southwest next week to my sister's wedding in Colorado and I think it's my first time on Southwest. The rates were better than Jetblue by about $30 from Boston.

Ive done that flight on southwest.......it sucks if you get stuck next to something you dont like. and getting everyone together will be a miracle if you can get that done.....I would have paid the extra to fly jet blue......I Hate Southwest for that very reason.....not sure if you read my previous post.....sandwiched inbetween to heffers Suck the big one !

Funky_Catskills

Since I started working with them at my job a while ago - I use Delta..
I personally have never had any big issues that couldn't be resolved....

I have well over 300k miles stoked up and I'm ready for a good trip... :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is interesting: http://www.southwest-heart.com/

I like the new graphics:

hero_plane.png