• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Southwest Airlines....Meh

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have been a big fan...great service, good fares, etc. But in my last couple trips I've been a bit :???: about them based on some changes. First, after some mergers, their fares are not as great as they used to be. I just ran some numbers for a possible trip back to NE this fall and was really :blink: as to how high they were, relatively speaking. I know that the free bags is a nice perk, but the airlines, and my wife, have convinced me to pack lighter. Second, the whole "upgrade to A status for some $" deal really pisses me off since EVERYONE now does it. It's also a hidden price hike. If you don't pay it, you're relegated to some terrible middle seat and if you're a family forget it. This kind of goes against what their philosophy used to be. And last, the clientele I have come across have been overall pretty rude overall. It's almost become the WalMart of airlines it seems. I feel for their flight attendants.

What have been your experiences? Thoughts?

We're pretty lucky in SLC because we have some choice...Delta is quite good and we've got some JetBlue service. I'd personally avoid United or American based on past experiences.

And I've probably got way too much time to think about this and am probably bored because it is summer...but it's something to talk about.

skiNEwhere

I used to travel to a different city every week for an old job. As far as Airlines in the Americas, I prefer JetBlue. Some of their flights even have free directv. Other than that, all US based airlines suck. Generally speaking, there philosophy is to jam the max limit of people in the fuselage, and charge them for every service provided. If we are talking international airlines, Emirates wins hands down. You pay a little for, but you get a lot more in return. Other than the legroom ,there coach was nicer than first class on american airlines

thetrailboss

Staff member
I used to travel to a different city every week for an old job. As far as Airlines in the Americas, I prefer JetBlue. Some of their flights even have free directv. Other than that, all US based airlines suck. Generally speaking, there philosophy is to jam the max limit of people in the fuselage, and charge them for every service provided.

If we are talking international airlines, Emirates wins hands down. You pay a little for, but you get a lot more in return. Other than the legroom ,there coach was nicer than first class on american airlines

Good observation. It's been a while...hell, more than a decade....since I flew an international carrier. I noticed that too.

There was an interesting BBC documentary that's on YouTube ("A Very British Airline") that was just done on British Airways. I was really impressed by how they pushed "quality" as a selling point.

Edd

If you're doing New England to Denver or Tahoe (Reno), Southwest always seems to be the way to go. We're talking ski trips so bags are a factor.

When I fly other places I just go for the best non-stop deal. I don't have much in the way of brand loyalty. I seem to fly somewhere twice a year, ski trip or not.

I've grown to have so little expectation of decent service, I don't know any better. I just want the flights on time and to have booze when I want it. Pretty sad, I guess.

I've never flown first class in my life. I'd love to try it some day.

skiNEwhere

Gonna keep raving about Emirates....When my co-worker got back from his vacation he wouldn't stop talking about them....to the point where I was thinking (Dude, would you stfu about Emirates already?). He helped get my company to pay for a round trip flight Business class from Dubai to New York since I saved them some money earlier in the year. I believe it was just under $3,000 at the time in 2011.

I'm not gonna post all of the pics, but you can check out the rest here. Normally I don't care where I sit on flights, but a 14 hour flight goes much smoother with lie flat seats and a full service bar. If you DO fly emirates, make sure you ask specifically for the A380 though, the fully double decker plane for Airbus. It's the newest plane they have in their fleet. http://www.emirates.com/us/english/flying/cabin_features/business_class/business_class.aspx

Even their coach has 1200 channels on the tv, and electrical outlets for your laptop.

emirates bar.jpg

I'm kind of scared to fly Emirates again though, since I got a parking ticket in Dubai that I never paid. I'm not quite sure what the repercussions would be.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm sure it's a comfy space, but it's still flying. I hate the whole air travel experience, always have. As much as there are far off places in the world I'd like to visit someday, I have very little desire to spend 14 hours in the air to get there.

I wish technology would advance to the point that the industry could bring back the Concorde jet and have it be economical enough that it could be used domestically. How sweet would it be to get from Boston to SLC in 90 minutes.

ScottySkis

I love Jet Blue. I don't like Delta. The only time I didnt take a jet blue in the last 10 years was for a four day weekend from JFK to SLC maybe 2009? I took Delta because I wanted to get the free half day ticket for Park City resort. Took morning flight in ( Jet blue at time was only allowed late and over nights, I was told this is because Delta controls the flight scheduling)I only had enough money on me for what was going to spend and didnt have extra(part of issue not making much money for my being not rich). When the flight took off we weighted to much with the skis on board, but Delta did not tell us, they could have made an annocement letting us know that all the skis were coming off not stolen and i could call my dad and borrow money for rentals. No they wait so they more time for a claim to be issued for stolen proprerly. All the skiiers and snowboarders go to get our equiment and nothing comes luggage comes for evreyone they still dont make and annocement so we all wait in line to find out that skis are coming on later flight because of wieght. That is fine but now it like 3 hours after i landed in the airport and not going to park city for an hours of free skiing and having to rent. my skis came in at 4 am so they did not have to pay me any money. They had a mass cab service dropped them at my hotel. Stupid on their part overall because I never fly with them agian and will take overnights with jet blue in a second. So for the complaint.

hammer

Flew JetBlue to Orlando out of Worcester last month. No complaints about the service. Really liked going out of Worcester even though it was a bit of a longer drive. Not much in the way of terminal amenities but it was quite laid back, and it was nice to be able to walk from the terminal to the parking lot.

Unfortunately, JetBlue is only offering direct flights from ORH to two airports in Florida.

Not sure if I'd go JetBlue from Logan. Like the airline but don't like flying out of BOS.

xwhaler

I used to fly SW more when they started ramping up their service out of Manchester and prices were good. Now I don;t see the same value proposition anytime I look. I'm headed to Phoenix in November and looked at SW as they used to run a non-stop to PHX out of MHT which would have been ideal. Unfortunately no more.
The only non stop offered was a late afternoon Jet Blue or a few AM options on US Airways out of Logan. We chose US Airways which I've been ok with the last few times I've flown with them.

Now that SW has expanded into Logan I wonder what that does to Manchester long term---they were/are? the biggest carrier flying out of Manchester but the prices are higher than Boston. I wonder if they are strategically trying to phase Manchester out a bit?

Best domestic carrier I ever flew on was Continental----did our honeymoon in Hawaii and non-stopped from Newark...13 hour flight was made much more enjoyable as there was plenty of leg room, service was attentive and they brought a lot more food/snacks than I would have expected. This was in Coach.
I also enjoyed the service Continental had on their regional jets out of Manchester before the merger with United.

I used to carry a United credit card to get the free checked bags/2 club passes/yr and accrue miles with them but the miles became difficult to utilize and only flying ~2x/yr it didn't make sense to have loyalty. Now I just shop on price/convenience.

wa-loaf

I used to fly SW more when they started ramping up their service out of Manchester and prices were good. Now I don;t see the same value proposition anytime I look. I'm headed to Phoenix in November and looked at SW as they used to run a non-stop to PHX out of MHT which would have been ideal. Unfortunately no more.
The only non stop offered was a late afternoon Jet Blue or a few AM options on US Airways out of Logan. We chose US Airways which I've been ok with the last few times I've flown with them.

Now that SW has expanded into Logan I wonder what that does to Manchester long term---they were/are? the biggest carrier flying out of Manchester but the prices are higher than Boston.

Yeah, I used to just go straight to SW and pick whatever flight worked best for me from Manchester or Providence (pretty much an equal drive) now prices are cheaper out of Boston (parking sucks however) so I've started searching around and finding better prices from Jet Blue and others.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm sure it's a comfy space, but it's still flying. I hate the whole air travel experience, always have. As much as there are far off places in the world I'd like to visit someday, I have very little desire to spend 14 hours in the air to get there.

I wish technology would advance to the point that the industry could bring back the Concorde jet and have it be economical enough that it could be used domestically. How sweet would it be to get from Boston to SLC in 90 minutes.

+1

The only part of the experience I like is the actual flying part. Everything else sucks.

hammer

jimk

+1

The only part of the experience I like is the actual flying part. Everything else sucks.

Same here, I enjoy a window seat once cruising, but that's about it. Driven from East Coast to Rockies four out of last six winters to ski. Two years ago I flew to Tahoe only because driving all the way was just too far.
No brand loyalty with airlines, priorities are cost and proximity to home/destination. Don't fly for work and little personal flying = few frequent-flyer miles. Majority of extended family nearby. When I buy airline ticket(s) every few years to ski I'm usually totally committed for family scheduling to trip dates and Southwest's cancelation policy has little value for me. Will probably drive to Rockies again next winter and control my own destiny with familiar vehicle once there. Job provided lots of vacation time and I may soon retire. Will confess to a little fear-of-flying especially in younger days. Probably only taken 15-20 roundtrip flights in lifetime. I'll do it to ski, but easy for me to find reasons not to.
Get back to me when they invent Star Trek transporters.

drjeff

No brand loyalty airline wise for me. To the point where my primary credit cards all have points that I can use on any airline or rental car agency or hotel brand that I want.

Airline wise, my priorities are #1 departure/arrival time #2 ticket cost #3 is a direct flight available? and #4 what other added fees will I be facing? :mad:

If it's a ski trip flight, I do tend to lean Southwest as when me, my wife and kids are traveling for a ski trip with all of our gear, there's no way that we can make 1 bag with a 50lb limit person for free work, so Southwest's 2 bags for free policy typically saves us at least $100, if not $150 each way.

Living in Eastern CT, I tend to fly out of Providence as my primary, Logan as my secondary and occasionally out of Hartford

In the last 6 weeks, I've flown Southwest for 1 trip and Jet blue for 2 trips

4aprice

Went to SF last summer and flew Virgin America. Beautiful plane with TV and good service. Problem is they only seem to fly to a few destinations and I don't believe I saw either DIA or SLC on their board. Skiing wise there are usually several choices from the NY area to those destinations and with 3 airports usually a good range of fares. If I'm lucky it's out of Newark but I don't mind traveling over to JFK for a good priced flight.

When I used to work a lot out west (mostly Phoenix) I flew Southwest quite a few times up to SLC and always had a good experience but have never seen great fares going East to west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiNEwhere

So a few years ago, was either 2007 or 2009, I was flying from Logan airport to Colorado for some skiing and I had 2 bags to check, one was my clothes, and my other was my ski bag. I believe I was still able to check 2 bags for free then, but the guy behind the counter (who wasn't much older than me) said that I would have to pay extra for the ski bag due to the size, and half jokingly I replied "Come on, don't you have the ability to waive the fees for luggage?" To which he responded that he could only do that for mobility equipment. So me being the wise guy I am, said "Well technically this is mobility equipment since I use it to aid and assist in getting me down a mountain. Without it, I'd have no way to get down easily"

He kind of looked at me and paused for a second, and then proceeded to waive the extra baggage fee without saying a word. I was surprised he actually did it, but he looked like he absolutely hated his job and didn't really care.

I want to see if this would still work now.