• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I need a printer what do you guys and gals suggest

ScottySkis

I seen some cheap ones on craigslist for 20$ dont know if they are good. my roommate with a great printer just moved out. what good suggestion for not spending a lot but getting something that not crap. maybe ebay? what type you suggest it fine if used i just more of computer or printer expert . I really appercitae any suggeestions just needed mostly for printing resumes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've found our new HP to be good. We got it at Costco for $120ish. Wifi, printer/scanner/fax, etc. Easy to use and has worked great. Older printers are fine if you have the software and can get the ink for it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've had a Cannon Pixma Ink Jet for about 7 years now. It's not fast, but prints with decent enough quality for both documents and photos. I haven't had any issues with the printer after 7 years.

I saw pretty much the same exact model at Staples the other day for $60. The newer version is updated to be wireless and now offers scanning and copying features.

http://www.staples.com/Canon-PIXMA-MG3520-Wireless-All-in-One-Printer-Black/product_281838

bvibert

Staff member
I'd be wary of buying a used printer. Consumer printers really aren't built to last, not to mention you might have trouble finding the right drivers for your OS or even ink cartridges (which will cost more than the printer).

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Last edited:

skiNEwhere

A lot of printers are loss leaders, that is, in a nutshell the company selling them is not making any profit off of the printers themselves, and may even be losing money, because they know that you'll have to buy their proprietary ink which is the bread and butter of their business. So to echo what others were saying, research the price of ink. If you want to be really frugal, look on the boxes in the stores to see how much ink you are getting and divide that by the price to find the cheapest price per millilitre.

Be wary of HP, they make their inkjet boxes bigger and prices lower so that they standout on the shelf. When I looked at the box to see how much ink was in it, it said "check website for specifications" Shady....So I did, and the HP ink on average had less ink than it's competitors. They do make pretty good printers though. You can probably get a 4500 envy new for like $50 bucks

Epson sucks. The quality of the printers are shit. I used to work at Staples too, Epson was the number one returned printer.

For the money, I think Cannon is a good deal. You aren't gonna get a new one dirt cheap like you'll get an HP, but the the overall quality is good, and the ink is a reasonable price. You can buy ink refill kits as well to save a little money.

ScottySkis

Thanks every one. Great advice, I probably buy the staples one. Just waiting to see my step mom(been with my dad for over 10 years so I call her that even though their not married.) might have a printer for me she seeing if she can find it.

Geoff

Canon All-In-One WiFi printers are sub-$60.00 with free 2-day Amazon Prime shipping. There's really no need to buy anything better than a MSRP $99.00 Canon All-In-One printer unless you're printing photographs to hang on the wall.

There are two on Amazon for $57 and $59. I think the cheaper one might be the previous model year but who cares. I own one in both of my places. They work fine for what I need them for.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX452-W...d=1406928157&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+mx+printer

If you buy a used one, you're still going to have to buy cartridges for it. A black cartridge and a color cartridge will cost almost as much as the whole printer brand new on Amazon.

Quietman

Before you buy any printer, I would make sure that you can get cheap ink cartridges for it. I pay around $4 for my HP on Ebay.