• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How Far Would You Go On a Day Trip?

dlague

Well living where I live almost everything is within 2.5 hours eg. Sunday River. Jay Peak, Magic, Mount Snow draw and arc and that will show my circle of mountain friends. Stowe is with in that range but takes us about 3 hours one way. I think three is my max. We considered Gore last year and the would have been 3.5.

steamboat1

I-80, I-287 and the Thruway are great in the early morning. Set the Cruise Control at 75 (Along with a Bagel and Thermos of hot coffee) and I'm in Albany @ approximately 7.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Taconic, 22 to 7 for me. Don't go as fast (set the cruise at 62) but get there quicker.

gmcunni

I'll drive three hours each way without thinking about it. I'll go four or more if there's a good reason

aveski2000

I do Portland to the Loaf a few times a season. Almost did Portland to Jay last year with a $10 ticket, but it was around 5 degrees and decided not to.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I live in New Jersey and dont enjoy skiing in the Poconos (except for a once or twice per season last minute or miracle "it actually snowed" day), so my most common day trip is:

Plattekill = 2h 45m

Often I'll drive up and crash at free lodging (family) and cut the times

Plattekill - 1h 20m
Gore = 2h 30m

Did Elk Mountain for the first time this year, it was 2 hours. Nice place, but there's rarely ever discounts so that was pretty much a one-time thing as paying walk-up rate is against my religion. I'm an ordained minister in the order of SOTC.

Northampton area county communitty college (Pa.) runs a Warren Miller film festival every year , $12.00 advance tickets , you get a free Elk ticket good before Dec (?) after March 1st or discounted earlier season ticket

ScottySkis

Northampton area county communitty college (Pa.) runs a Warren Miller film festival every year , $12.00 advance tickets , you get a free Elk ticket good before Dec (?) after March 1st or discounted earlier season ticket

Plus just buy a morning ticket and keep going they never checked me the several times I have done this.

x10003q

I have a 2 hour limit. That includes Plattekill, Hunter, Belleayre, and Windham. I never go to the Poconos or Mtn Creek. I really enjoyed Elk but it is 2:30+ and not as good as Plattekill.

BenedictGomez

Well living where I live almost everything is within 2.5 hours eg. Sunday River. Jay Peak, Magic, Mount Snow draw and arc and that will show my circle of mountain friends. Stowe is with in that range but takes us about 3 hours one way. I think three is my max. We considered Gore last year and the would have been 3.5.

If you enjoy tree skiing, do it. Most underrated tree skiing in the east, or your money back. I dont think Gore's tree skiing is materially any worse than the handful of eastern places that people rave about their tree skiing. The only difference is, Gore isnt included in those conversations.

I saw that, but before Dec is IMO worthless in our area, and after March 1 is potentially somewhat dicey for Elk, plus I'm usually hitting Vermont hard March weekends.

timm

I was doing regular day trips from Boston and then, starting last year, the North Shore to Wildcat. I left early enough that I could do it in a bit over 2 hours despite all the local roads involved. This year have the opportunity to get a great deal on a New England pass but Loon is a bit too crowded on weekends...SR isn't exactly quiet but seems like a better bet. But that's probably 7 hours round trip for a day, which seems questionable haha.

ceo

I'll do the 3.5 hours to Sugarbush or MRG and back once or twice a season, but not regularly. Last year I did the 4.5 hours to the Loaf with my son starting at 5am, which was fine for squeezing an extra day out of a 3-night stay but I'd never do that for a day trip. 2 and a bit to Cannon is about right.

Brad J

I am a day tripper North shore to Attitash, Wildcat, every Sat, I do a Sugarloaf run each spring. Longest trip for me was Salt Lake to Sun Valley 5 hours each way, that was a long day

Madroch

3.5 to 4- Stowe is about the outer reaches for me...

dlague

I said Stowe and meant Smuggs that is because the close the direct path (rt 108) that goes right by Stowe.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone