• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying Sight Unseen

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm looking to add a powder type ski this year. This would be used anytime I go out West, and hopefully an additional 2-3 days in the East. Cost is #1, but obviously I want to try and not settle for an inferior or inadequate ski. In addition to soft snow, I'd like something that is versatile enough to ski some bumps or groomers back to the lifts, or if the powder gets tracked out by mid-day, etc. In my trip to CO last year, my favorite demos were the Icelantic Nomad, K2 Shreditor, Rossi Soul7, and Atomic Automatic. I didn't like Armada TST or Blizzard Bonafide. I want something playful and snappy, not skis that will lock in and bomb down the mountain.

I'm having trouble finding anything I like for less than $400. Most of what does pop up doesn't have rocker, which makes me nervous that the skis would be less manueverable than I'd like. Plus, I'm a bigger guy as far as skiers go (6' 230lbs), so I think any extra float that rocker provides is a big deal.

However, today a new ski just went live, Revision Skis. They're running a special until 9/1 and I can get their Subtraction for $249. Obviously it's a great deal, but I'd essentially be buying skis that haven't been third party tested, or even reviewed yet.

What does everybody think?

bigbog

Rossignol has their "NRGY"-series for this coming season...their NRGY90 and 100 are not quite as stiff in the tip & tail as the Bonafide.
All I've read or seen so far. Think I've read a few reviews saying that they hand-flex a little softer than they ski = anything like that is good for the EC.

Might wanna check out some more Indies...one(or two?) in VT...for 13'/14' clearance(have instantly forgotten their names)

Might wanna try to find Atomic's Ritual from 13/14...slightly stiffer Theory, which at 230 should be good.

$.01...

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a gamble with or without being tested. I bought a set of High Society Free Ride's a few years back. They are a small independent ski maker and the skis were very inexpensive, but had many positive reviews. So, I bought them and it turned into a waste of money as they don't excel at anything. At the time, I was looking for something that compared favorably to a Fischer Watea 94, but for less money. In terms of dimensions, turning radius and construction, I thought I found the answer. I should have just paid the extra $200 at the time and gone with the Fischers.

Smellytele

I have a pair of the Black Diamond Amperage which are not full rocker. They are "115 mm waist, full tip and tail rocker and underfoot camber add up to a floaty ski". I can actually ski them on groomers without much of an issue. I even bump ski with them. They are a fun, fun ski.

dlague

I'm looking to add a powder type ski this year. This would be used anytime I go out West, and hopefully an additional 2-3 days in the East. Cost is #1, but obviously I want to try and not settle for an inferior or inadequate ski. In addition to soft snow, I'd like something that is versatile enough to ski some bumps or groomers back to the lifts, or if the powder gets tracked out by mid-day, etc. In my trip to CO last year, my favorite demos were the Icelantic Nomad, K2 Shreditor, Rossi Soul7, and Atomic Automatic. I didn't like Armada TST or Blizzard Bonafide. I want something playful and snappy, not skis that will lock in and bomb down the mountain.

I'm having trouble finding anything I like for less than $400. Most of what does pop up doesn't have rocker, which makes me nervous that the skis would be less manueverable than I'd like. Plus, I'm a bigger guy as far as skiers go (6' 230lbs), so I think any extra float that rocker provides is a big deal.

However, today a new ski just went live, Revision Skis. They're running a special until 9/1 and I can get their Subtraction for $249. Obviously it's a great deal, but I'd essentially be buying skis that haven't been third party tested, or even reviewed yet.

What does everybody think?

Not quite sure what length you are used to but based on your height and weight you are probably skiing something in the 185-193 range.

K2 Shreditor $384 (actually cheaper at Skis.com but Evo price matches anyway)
k2-shreditor

If you like Atomic Automatic have you considered Atomic Blog?

Automic Blog $417
atomic-blog

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I likely won't purchase until Sept, when my wife goes back to work (damn teachers), so I'll be accepting recommendations and obsessing about this for the next few weeks or so.

A wild card is E-Bay. I found a few used skis that piqued my interest. Who knows what will be available when I'm ready the purchase though.

Madroch

Line sick day 95 or 110. I have the 95, it is not a true deep powder ski, but in exchange it does everything except very hard packed very well. Loved it in 12" of fresh, in trees and it rocked in powder and spring bumps. Great on groomers provided they are not too solid. Not sure you can get it for under 400- but maybe.

yeggous

Line sick day 95 or 110. I have the 95, it is not a true deep powder ski, but in exchange it does everything except very hard packed very well. Loved it in 12" of fresh, in trees and it rocked in powder and spring bumps. Great on groomers provided they are not too solid. Not sure you can get it for under 400- but maybe.

I tried the 95 on a frozen granular day at Burke and they were terrible on the hard pack. They did feel like they would be great in the soft 3D surfaces. I really want to try them under more favorable conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Madroch

I tried the 95 on a frozen granular day at Burke and they were terrible on the hard pack. They did feel like they would be great in the soft 3D surfaces. I really want to try them under more favorable conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not surprised- they are really light and I believe soft (at least compared to everything else I have) I've never skied Them in fgr- have plenty of hard snow options better suited. Granted I am a first time mid fat user- (widest prior to these was 84) but the sick days are hands down the most fun ski in my quiver--- quick and playful, with some pop/energy.

Tin

I own the Influences, you can find them for 299 at REI and other spots. I absolutely love them and was unable to pole plant when I rode them last year so I couldn't give them a full workout. They are my everyday skis and I will take them in any conditions, anywhere. Ice, cord, bumps, fresh stuff, doesn't matter. They took a few trips to get used to because I was coming from a full rockered Volkl, if you're not all the way forward you're going on your ass or side.

Terry

I bought a pair of 115 influences last winter and absolutely love them in anything other than ice. I thought I might use them a couple times a year for powder days but ended up using them most everyday.

AdironRider

I think its going to be a bad idea to not try the ski out before buying.

When a deal is not a deal....