• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maine Conservation Corps - Volunteers needed - Fall, 2014

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I spent two days last week volunteering with the MCC. We built bog bridges, built rock steps, cleared corridors, trail rerouting and pulled stumps. Not near as difficult as you might imagine when you're with a team of 6 and a competent leader. We worked on the #4 Mountain trail near Greenville. It will actually become a real, sanctioned trail after spending it's entire life as a fire-warden's trail. I had a great day. Got some hiking in, worked up and down the mountain and met some great college kids. MCC is connected with Americorps. I knew nothing about trail building, and at my age, I was a bit concerned of what I could accomplish. I did feel however, that after all these years of using the work of others at no cost to myself, it was time to give back. Here's a link to their main page.
while only August activities are currently listed, there is a full slate of projects for the fall. Maine is a lovely place to be in the fall. Plus it feels good to give back!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Let's get more people out for just a day! We use these trails all the time at no charge to us. Most are maintained by volunteers. You can't believe how appreciative they are for even just one day of help!

dlague

Let's get more people out for just a day! We use these trails all the time at no charge to us. Most are maintained by volunteers. You can't believe how appreciative they are for even just one day of help!

Nice idea! But I have to say I have never used them.