• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Max distance for 3 day/extended weekend?

skiNEwhere

In the spirit of the "max daytrip thread" I'd like to see what peoples limits are.

I think I'll draw the line at 8 hours. That would get me to Taos, Telluride, Jackson Hole, and SLC.

Back when I was on the east coast, coming from Boston, Whiteface was the furthest distance my family and I were willing to go, and that was pushing it.

ScottySkis

5.5 hours to north VT and I do that once or twice in a season. Maybe in a bad year where i live if I had personal time I would go up to those wonderful hills 6 or 8 times and but I sure I leave on my last day around 2 pm.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say 6-7 hours. That's about what it takes to get to Quebec City for us with a stop for lunch. A few years ago we went up on Wednesday, spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday in the city, then drove back on Sunday. Even at that, I wish I had had another day to hang. It just felt like an awful long time in the car for a short visit.

Cornhead

So far, Sugarloaf has been plenty far for me, 9hrs. I kinda wish I'd gone through the hassle of getting the enhanced NYS driver's license last time I renewed so I'd have Canada as an option, never skied out of the country. Damn terrorist!

Leaving last year's AZ Summit, I left my wallet in the nightstand drawer, I didn't realize it until I tried to buy gas 13 miles down the road. That added another 26 miles to my 9hr trip home, DOH! I was just happy I hadn't gone further before noticing it was missing.

jimk

500 miles!?! Virginia to Killington over Prez Weekend 2001 with a minivan full of kids. Even me, ever the skiing optimist, had a tough time putting a positive spin on that trip: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=551&mode=search (Although intended as a long weekend trip, looking back at that old report it was actually a five night trip although we only skied two days. The other three days were spent largely in the van with four screaming kids and one wife on the brink of losing her sanity.) There was a dang serious wind chill factor working at Killington that weekend too.
:slap:

I have also done three-day trips to the Catskills at about 330 miles/six hours each way with older boys, much more manageable: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1184

timm

I'd say 6-7 hours (which covers most of the Quebec mountains) but it really depends. And even that seems a bit silly considering where you could fly in 6-7 hours.

I wouldn't do the 5.5 hours to Whiteface for example, because I'm not taking a three day weekend that holds zero interest to my wife. If a place (like some of the Quebec resorts) has appeal for non-skiers, I could justify it.

The furthest I have actually done are Sugarloaf and Jay which are both under four hours.

steamboat1

2 days or 3 days makes no difference to me. I still wouldn't drive any further than normal (5-7 hours for me). If I was planning a longer drive I'd break up the drive so it would have to be for more days. For instance the several times I've been up to Quebec City we first stopped in VT. for a couple of days skiing then drove up to QC. Skied 4-5 days around QC then drove back to VT. & skied another day or two before driving back to NYC. Only once did I drive straight home from QC & would never do that again. I think the drive was about 11 hours & I was shaking when I got out of the car..

jimmywilson69

Central PA to Stowe or Jay Peak is it for me. And anywhere compariable in New Hampshire. I haven't been there yet

4aprice

3 day weekends open up a whole slew of options. Heck I've done Colorado for 3 days. (obviously flying). Limit me to the road and I've gone as far as Sunday River. The way I see it NNY (north of Albany) and Vermont are overnighter's, a trip to NH from NNJ requires 2 nights.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Tin

I'd fly out west for a long weekend. As long as my planes left early on the first day and left late on the last day. :lol:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
About 10 times a season I drive 6 hours after work to NH, then spend the next 2 days daytripping to resorts 1-3 hours away. Then usually sleep in Sun and drive the 6 hours home. There's usually 1 trip each year when I chase a storm and drive up, ski the next day and drive home afterwards. I generally wouldn't recommend that.

So far, Sugarloaf has been plenty far for me, 9hrs. I kinda wish I'd gone through the hassle of getting the enhanced NYS driver's license last time I renewed so I'd have Canada as an option, never skied out of the country. Damn terrorist!

Leaving last year's AZ Summit, I left my wallet in the nightstand drawer, I didn't realize it until I tried to buy gas 13 miles down the road. That added another 26 miles to my 9hr trip home, DOH! I was just happy I hadn't gone further before noticing it was missing.

yup...did 9+ hours for the summit this year...don't know if i have that in me again, but it was well worth it...i would have to make it a long weekend and throw in a few other places to make it worthwhile again, methinks

mikestaple

I would say the 5 hours to Sugarloaf or Jay does it for me. I've done both a number of times.

If ur in the NYC area and willing to fly, you should hit the seasonal Newark to Bozeman direct. You're right at Big Sky and Bridger Bowl for a couple of epic days.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

I went out to Portland OR to visit my brother and to ski Mt Hood Meadows about 6 yrs ago over MLK wknd.
Direct flight from Boston to Portland so wasn't that bad.

Smellytele

Lake Placid and Sugarloaf/Saddleback at 4-4.5. Even there I would drive on Thursday early or Wednesday night and make it 4 days to get 3 days of skiing and not ski Sunday. I would have to drive to Canada for anything further which I have not done yet but may in the future. Would take me 5.5 to Tremblant. Not sure I would do just 3 days if I was doing that though

crank

7 - 8 hours will get me to Sugarloaf. I can get anywhere else in New England or ADKS in less. Quebec is a 4 day minimum for me. Tentatively planning a 4 day Jay/Eastern Townships trip in March

dlague

We have not fully vetted this scenario! We have driven about 5 hours to get to Saddleback but we are considering a drive to Tremblant! While the distance is much further than getting to Saddleback, the drive looks to be only 30-40 minutes more (lots of highway).