• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foliage Stoke

Puck it

Time to take this off track again....

That is getting to be the problem here in the rural northern sections of NY, VT, NH, and ME. A wind farm has been constructed on nearly every prominent ridgeline through this area. Starting in the west with the Altoona, NY farm on across to the large farm near Eustis ME. Every ridgeline has a farm on it at some point except for the main Green Mountain spine, the Essex County highlands in VT, and the high peaks of the White Mtns.
The Essex County highlands in VT barely escaped a 40+ turbine development (green group of lines on the map). The reason that project failed is that people around here had enough of being stepped on by the wind development companies. The NIMBY movement finally came to a head with that project since there isn't really that much backyard left.

Global warming or not. The cost/benefit of these huge farms really has yet to be determined and people around here really wanted to slow down the blasting of mountaintops until the benefits can actually be determined.

The bigger wind farm is east of Chateauguay, NY. There is also one outside of Lowville on the Tug Hill near Snow Ridge.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The bigger wind farm is east of Chateauguay, NY. There is also one outside of Lowville on the Tug Hill near Snow Ridge.
Tug Hill is a bit farther away to be part of this argument.
However, those farms in NY are HUGE. A lot of that is due to the fact they aren't constrained to well defined ridgeline. I didn't realize there were two farms so close together in Altona/Chateauguay.

Last edited:

Puck it

Tug Hill is a bit farther away to be part of this argument.
However, those farms in NY are HUGE. A lot of that is due to the fact they aren't constrained to well defined ridgeline. I didn't realize there were two farms so close together in Altoona/Chateauguay.

The one in Altona is may not be in the town limits. It borders that quasi Indian Reservation near Flat Rock State Forest. It is on the west of the Old Military Turnpike(Rt. 190).

jack97

The irony of this statement is that's it made on a message board celebrating our mountains being carved to pieces by trails and lifts and massive amounts of man made development. I would assume that those who find Windmills to be a blight on our landscape would find ski areas to be equally as awful to look at.

I seems to me you are "crowbaring" your pov to my reply. I will re-quote this with the preface statement along with the part you choose to crowbar towards.

I hate seeing the mcmansions on former farm/orchards. I rather see quaint cottages or something that looks rural to that setting.

Windmills across the mountain just don't seem right to me.

If it isn't clear, I understand why some of the old farm lands have turn into housing development, my complaint is that the housing look out of place to the area. As for the windmills, I thought I made it clear they look ugly and don't seem to fit in that setting.

jack97

Time to take this off track again....

The cost/benefit of these huge farms really has yet to be determined and people around here really wanted to slow down the blasting of mountaintops until the benefits can actually be determined.

ok, since this thread derailed as a free for all..... look to Germany and their local press, they spent lots of money on wind over the past decade. They are not convince of the benefits.

Warp Daddy

The Chateaugay , ny wind farm is flat ass FUGLY , too damn close to the road and some of the homes . i am NOT anti wind but THIS particular site is abominable . The Maple Ridge wind farm near lowville is 10 miles off thebeaten path so not as intrusive visually .

The Wolfe Is. Farm in the 1000. island region of. NNY is another visual nitemare ....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I seems to me you are "crowbaring" your pov to my reply. I will re-quote this with the preface statement along with the part you choose to crowbar towards.

Oh really?? :lol:

Did I say I had a problem with ski area aesthetics? no I didn't.

This isn't about me. I'm not the one who has a problem with windmills. Do you have a problem with mountains being carved up into football field wide trails with ski lift tours and buildings all over the place in the same manner you have issues with windmills? That is a question for you. Not a POV of mine.

jack97

I don't have a problem with windmill in the ocean esp near the cape, the people who championed this renewable should get a front row seat from their houses or their sailboats

In terms of mountains carved up to football field width trails, I hate them and that's why I have been going to smaller mountains.

what's the point?

BenedictGomez

Global warming or not. The cost/benefit of these huge farms really has yet to be determined and people around here really wanted to slow down the blasting of mountaintops until the benefits can actually be determined.

look to Germany and their local press, they spent lots of money on wind over the past decade. They are not convince of the benefits.

You're both far too kind. Wind is literally the WORST of the forms of energy from a cost-benefit analysis.

It's even worse than solar for god's sake. Lets set aside the whole, "It's fugly and ruining the landscape" argument for a moment, the fact is Wind power is one gigantically expensive government boondoggle, only surviving via government subsidies directly from our paychecks.

You can heat your house to a nice, toasty 73 degrees by burning $100 bills all winter too, but that doesn't make it intelligent or financially sustainable.

jack97

The Chateaugay , ny wind farm is flat ass FUGLY , too damn close to the road and some of the homes . i am NOT anti wind but THIS particular site is abominable . The Maple Ridge wind farm near lowville is 10 miles off thebeaten path so not as intrusive visually .

The Wolfe Is. Farm in the 1000. island region of. NNY is another visual nitemare ....

The Koch brothers put you up to this..... I'm not going to save you a spot on our next occupy Wall Street event.

jack97

if the AZ summit is at a place with wide lane boulevards count me out. You should know by now I only do moguls.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Different kind of foliage. Blueberry fall foliage! I drove through the Blueberry capital of the world today, which is a town that is oddly called Cherryfield.

2vmf05x.jpg