• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foliage Stoke

bigbog

RE: Leaf Peeping....

Another beautiful day.....was over @Sugarloaf yesterday..decided to head into woods for hike around a few small mountains, Farrar and Female Mtns.
Miscellaneous trees from almost at foot of Farrar Mtn...a bc funspot;-). My one pic of a young bull moose I must've deleted...I tried to chase him away from little road...back ~60' into brush/trees, then he turned around and stared at me between two small trees.. Moose season on..and two pickups, campers within 10mi, were driving around the area.....the young bulls are easy targets, their speed isn't matched by their waryness.
Having seen a lot of moose in my life, they're about as ferocious as your pet cat....hate to see bozos just blowing em' away...in the prestigious state Moose Lottery. Coyotes everywhere and all the state can think up is a Moose Lottery:puke: Got up there in afternoon...most pics at ~3pm or later.
4) Approaching Farrar Mtn from Farrar Brook Rd from the SE.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Moose season on..and two pickups, campers within 10mi, were driving around the area.....the young bulls are easy targets, their speed isn't matched by their waryness. Having seen a lot of moose in my life, they're about as ferocious as your pet cat....hate to see bozos just blowing em' away...in the prestigious state Moose Lottery. Coyotes everywhere and all the state can think up is a Moose Lottery:puke:

You have to trust the state biologists know what they're doing and are managing the moose herd appropriately. As for the coyotes, hunting them is easier said than done given they're nocturnal nature and high intelligence. Northern Vermont right now is particularly bad. You go out on a warm summer night and it sounds like you're in the middle of a spaghetti western.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've never had an issue with the aesthetics of windmills. I remember when I moved to WV years ago and saw a large wind farm for the 1st time. I thought it was much more pleasing than all the mountain top removal.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I think the windmills are beautiful. Knowing that we are getting clean, renewable power and within 50 years, we'll all have wind and solar power with electric cars and we won't have to worry about oil bullshit is awesome.

If birds come too close to wind farms they get killed. Ironically oil rigs actually act as artifical reefs for fish.
There both ugly.

steamboat1

My face literally scrunched up and cringed when I saw this photo. So sad.

Do you get the same reaction when you see an oil rig in the ocean?
Yes.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Siemens-Press-Picture-4.jpg
    Siemens-Press-Picture-4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 102

jack97

I think the windmills are beautiful. Knowing that we are getting clean, renewable power and within 50 years, we'll all have wind and solar power with electric cars and we won't have to worry about oil bullshit is awesome.

you forgot geothermal and going vegan to get our carbon footprint back to pre 1970 emissions. that said, you know the totalitarian federal government will figure out how to tax the wind or sun we will use. Maybe they will find a loophole given the property taxes are state control.

btw.... nice foliage pics (had to get it back to the op)

jack97

btw.... will be interesting to see if the industry have resolved some of the problems seen in older generation models.

deadheadskier

Staff member
shocking

the anti-AGW folks spot a picture of some windmills in a docile thread featuring beautiful foliage pictures and feel compelled to draw their swords.

Puck it

shocking

the anti-AGW folks spot a picture of some windmills in a docile thread featuring beautiful foliage pictures and feel compelled to draw their swords.

I think the loudest opponents from the celebrity for Cape Wind were/are mostly Dem's. Ted Kennedy, Walter Cronkite, John Kerry. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I don't mind the look either, but large wind farms like in NNY near Chateauguay have the look of the War of the Worlds.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Puckit, I don't really care what peoples beliefs are on AGW and different power sources. I've got my beliefs and they've got theirs.

All I'm saying is the anti-agw members of this forum are loud and will take any opportunity to crowbar their beliefs into a conversation. A windmill picture is posted and anti-agw crusader BG acts like he saw a picture of the WTC and then sure as the sun comes up in the east, along comes jack banging his anti-agw drum. It gets old fast

Puck it

Puckit, I don't really care what peoples beliefs are on AGW and different power sources. I've got my beliefs and they've got theirs.

All I'm saying is the anti-agw members of this forum are loud and will take any opportunity to crowbar their beliefs into a conversation. A windmill picture is posted and anti-agw crusader BG acts like he saw a picture of the WTC and then sure as the sun comes up in the east, along comes jack banging his anti-agw drum. It gets old fast

I know, I was just pointing out that it is a two way street. No in my backyard mentality of some people.

jack97

Have to call BS, this reeks of hypocrisy. IMO you started this by bringing the oil rig statement in response to BG's. And as Puck it points out, windmill at least in the cape has a "not in my back yard attitude" regardless of political ideology. Kennedy and his constituent probably hated this project since they go sailing or yachting b/c it was not ecstatically pleasing to see.

So it's tiring or shocking when I bring this up but it not so when you bring this up.....

My face literally scrunched up and cringed when I saw this photo. So sad.

Do you get the same reaction when you see an oil rig in the ocean?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Whatever Jack. You know damn well BG wouldn't have made that comment if someone posted a picture of beautiful WV or PA foliage with a giant coal power plant in the background.

And I most certainly wasn't looking to have a GW, green energy discussion in this thread. I don't participate in such conversations on these forums because it turns into everyone dancing circles around a steaming pile of crap.

That's all I'm saying. Do the two of you have to find a way to crowbar in your anti-agw beliefs in every thread possible? You already do so in all the weather threads, now foliage picture threads are game too. Yawn

jack97

And I most certainly wasn't looking to have a GW, green energy discussion in this thread. I don't participate in such conversations on these forums because it turns into everyone dancing circles around a steaming pile of crap.

For someone trying to stay away from this crap..... you sure put yourself in the middle of it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not here to discuss AGW

Just here to say wtf??? Now the anti-agw zealots are banging their drums in a foliage thread.

Puck it

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of certain people.