• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Karma Cat Is No More

Cornhead

Got a sad call from my Son last night. He had to put his cat down, Spaceman. I delivered Spaceman to my Son in Boulder in May and was rewarded with two feet of fresh snow at A-basin. Turns out, he suffered a bite from a poisonous spider. Spaceman had been an indoor cat. After my Son moved closer to the edge of town, Spaceman escaped for a couple days, and then came home. My Son decided to let him go outdoors after that. He knew Spaceman ran the risk of getting run over, attacked by coyotes, or even mountain lions, but neither of us ever thought he would meet his demise from a spider. Spaceman had been not able to put weight on the leg that was bitten. My Son took him to the vet, but they didn't diagnose the problem. They gave him antibiotics and sent him home. His condition worsened, and my Son was forced to put him down. I wonder if the vet could have saved him if he'd noticed he was bitten by a spider?

I was looking forward to seeing Spaceman when I return to Colorado this Winter. I became attached to him while keeping him for a month before transporting him to my Son. I'm glad he got to enjoy a couple months in Nature, they were probably the happiest months of his short life.

Rambo

So sad and sorry to hear about Dr. Spacemans unfortunate passing. Seems like a spider bite like that on a cat would be quite rare.

Cornhead

Thanks guys, yeah must be a Colorado thing, brown recluse spider perhaps? I think this was a case of curiosity literally killing the cat, he probably provoked it. My Son told me today he still expects to see the cat waiting on the other side of the front door when he opens it in the morning, so sad. I don't think the fact he suffered so much helped either.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

With all the good snow spaceman brought, I hope his loss doesn't trigger a repeat of the winter of 76-77 that I hear locals talk about occasionally

I heard that drought was caused by a cat as well

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Last edited: