• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone Challenge 2014 - Steve Wright of Jay Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlague

Squirrel! The thread fell off the tracks! What I love about forums - ADHD is everywhere!

bobbutts

I think it makes sense to look into how parks are doing at resorts in New Zealand. Just look at this park, it's got financial commitments all over the place.
attachment.php

I've noticed that people who don't go into this park say that they don't like to use it. They say that the whole mountain is a park and they don't need to go off of these particular jumps and other features. At other resorts in New Zealand there are parks that some people use and other people talk about how they don't use them. If it weren't for Mommy and Daddy many of the kids who use the park would be living in foster homes that don't have the money to afford skiing. I think that Mommy and Daddy are really important and worth mentioning. In conclusion, I will tie this in to Burke mountain somehow.

Attachments

• Snowpark-01.jpg
    Snowpark-01.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 341

LONGBOARDR

A map from 2010 titled Jay Peak Resort Concept Master Plan depicts various future development plans across the resort property. One part of this map shows development of moonwalk woods area (bordering trails Interstate-Perry Merrill-Queens Highway) with a bridge or tunnel spanning queens highway for access. Is this still being considered? and what type of structures (condos-cottages-hotel ?) are being pondered.
With the West Bowl development tied to permitting, this would appear to be a potential next step for mountain build out.

BenedictGomez

Is some of the WB holdup directly attributed to environmental concerns, and what specific environmental concerns are being discussed/mediated (h2o usage, Bicknell's Thrush, cutting trees) etc...?

LONGBOARDR

Is some of the WB holdup directly attributed to environmental concerns, and what specific environmental concerns are being discussed/mediated (h2o usage, Bicknell's Thrush, cutting trees) etc...?

I'll try to be succinct. WATER. It kind of starts when contractors were building the golf course 2005? They filled in wetlands and filled the Jay branch with sediment. This violated the clean water act and eventually JPR paid a fine to settle the matter.
Vermont natural resources ANR is very sensitive to pristine headwaters and high elevation habitat where obviously ski areas reside. They and non-government organizations are not keen on developing these lands. Currently JPR is under a 1272 order which manages or controls activities which may be adversely impacting water or wetlands. They monitor sites in the river and likely elsewhere at and near JPR to see what biota and water column chemistry are doing. I don't believe anything would be granted until conditions are returned to what ANR thinks they should be. I've seen them along 242 sampling.

That being said the plans JPR has put out in the past for development (can someone find them and post? 100+ condos, ~50 homes) plus the ski infrastructure. I don't feel that is going to happen IMO. I believe that is why Bill postponed the new bonnie chair until the permitting could be sorted out. It is going to be challenging IMO. Personally, I hope it does not happen. I hike there all the time and it is amazing. IN the winter it is an easy skin to wonderful, abundant snow and easy terrain. It is not steep out there, but it is deep.
I think I got this mostly right, but anyone else feel free to straighten me out.
Cheers

mbedle

It appears that these sediment sources (discussed by Longboardr) need to be remediated within two years. From looking online, the most recent 1272 Order was issued in March of this year. It requires JPR to address and remedy those point source(s). Have you completed the remedial requires under the 1272 Order? Is the hold back in the WB development, in partial, due to not reaching these requirements?

fbrissette

To add to the above:

To what extent is the West Bowl development linked to the real estate development at its base ? IOW, will we ever see the West Bowl if if EB5 money dries up ? Can it be justified solely based on the actual skier base ?

Do you think that skier-day visits has reached the limit that the mountain can handle on week-ends and holidays ?

Will we ever see mountain biking trails (cross-country, not downhill) as well as a decent official hiking trail network to connect to the long trail to the south (through the orchard) and to the North across the West Bowl ? IMO this would significantly boost the summer offering of activities.

I've asked this before but any thoughts on opening the West Bowl as a strict hike-in backcountry offering in the mean time ? A few already ski there, but minimal thinning would make it a lot more enjoyable.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey guys I've been busy finishing up other stuff for the winter but I'm going to shut down this thread and send questions along at the end of this week, so get 'em in if you have anything to ask!

dlague

Not sure if this was brought up but was curious about the rec center that is supposed to go in on stateside. It got approved so when are they planning on building it? Will the put West bowl plans on hold for another year as well as the plans for the powerline chair?

Dave157

With all these awesome improvements to Jay, I'm curious whether the US v CA ratio has changed much.

skiNEwhere

Hey guys I've been busy finishing up other stuff for the winter but I'm going to shut down this thread and send questions along at the end of this week, so get 'em in if you have anything to ask!

Steve sure does like to take his sweet ass time. 363 days and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.