• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback Lodge & Indoor Water Park

4aprice

Great Wolf Lodge must be thrilled. 3 indoor waterparks within a 10 mile radius.(One going in up at Pocono Manor too) Going to be interesting just exactly what 450 slopeside rooms are going to do to crowds. While I will still visit from time to time I'm glad my obligation to the mountain is over. Wonder if hotel guests will get 1st tracks? Pass holders won't be happy about that.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

to discuss the camelback lodge and indoor water park?

haven't been in years, but have meant to go back...this will make me less likely to go back

Yeah, clearly I didnt get it. In my defense, it was a weird thread/start with zero explanation, so I didnt realize this was a new building.

The eight-story, 533,000 square-foot, 453-suite mountain-modern architectural style hotel will feature a nearly 170,000 square-foot indoor entertainment center comprised of an 82-degree, 125,000 square-foot, highly-themed, indoor adventure waterpark -- the largest in the eastern U.S. There will be 30,000 square feet of dry play amusement including an arcade, game center, kids’ club activity center, ropes course, mini-golf, laser tag and more. Guests can enjoy a 10,000 square-foot luxury spa and fitness center, four new restaurants, each with a unique menu and ambiance, including a ski-in ski-out bar and outdoor patio at the base of the mountain; 25,000 square feet of meeting and conference space will be available.

Massive. The problem is it's in the Poconos.

It's less than an hour drive for me, but I wont be skiing there more than once/year. Kudos to Camelback for securing financing based on their successful business model and long-term planning, rather than on "free money" that comes from a nebulous government program. I imagine this could be quite popular with the "once or twice a year" skier or people who just want to give skiing a try. But 453 rooms? Seems kindof huge.

4aprice

to discuss the camelback lodge and indoor water park?

haven't been in years, but have meant to go back...this will make me less likely to go back

There might be an upside to it as well. There has always been talk of expansion to the east on to the area that once was the Big Pocono Ski Run. Assuming they got the proper land and permits, new trails could actually increase the current vertical from 800 to 1000 ft. I still think its a fun mountain when completely open (They have good snowmaking so that is usually the case) and not overrun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There might be an upside to it as well. There has always been talk of expansion to the east on to the area that once was the Big Pocono Ski Run. Assuming they got the proper land and permits, new trails could actually increase the current vertical from 800 to 1000 ft. I still think its a fun mountain when completely open (They have good snowmaking so that is usually the case) and not overrun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

agree, and that's why i've been meaning to get back...they don't have much vertical, but for the pokes they have 'great horizontal'...i just get so few days out that i always go by there on to elk for a quick hitter

Rowsdower

The east side of the mountain won't increase vertical, just "horizontal". The ridge is actually slightly lower over there. However, that's where the steepest terrain on the mountain is, and what Camelback really needs is more advanced terrain.

4aprice

The east side of the mountain won't increase vertical, just "horizontal". The ridge is actually slightly lower over there. However, that's where the steepest terrain on the mountain is, and what Camelback really needs is more advanced terrain.

Yes it would. They would be able to take runs down to the Pocono Creek which is where the old ski area had its base. (near the present base of the tubing hill). The talk is of a fixed grip lift which would actually compliment Stevenson Express which is most prone to wind closures.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Rowsdower

Yes it would. They would be able to take runs down to the Pocono Creek which is where the old ski area had its base. (near the present base of the tubing hill). The talk is of a fixed grip lift which would actually compliment Stevenson Express which is most prone to wind closures.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yup. I forgot about the difference in base elevation.

BenedictGomez

I call that sort of thing, "fake vertical". It's technically vertical, but it's lame.

4aprice

I call that sort of thing, "fake vertical". It's technically vertical, but it's lame.

Why? Its not something that's "dug out". The main base area is up at 1200'. Extending a lift down to the creek is not a bad idea. That base would be at approximately 1000' still a lot higher then most of it's competition (Blue's base is about 600' FWIW). Runs down there would also be longer which is a legitimate gripe of some people. (doesn't bother me, but I'm me) Look I understand that CBK is not everyones cup of tea but its the best mountain (Highest point of elevation) within an hour of my house, they have an incredible snowmaking system and has allowed me to get an incredible amount of "practice" in, something I really appreciate when I go up north or out west (there's something to be said for being in "skiing shape").

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Just want to add that if you are thinking about the plateau area behind the base lodge where the Chateau sits, this is east of that area and is pure vertical from the creek to the summit.

Last edited:

mbedle

The issue with the increase vertical is really related to what resorts report and what is actually their "True Vertical". For example, a place like Killington advertises a 3,050 vertical drop. That equates to the difference between the lowest lift base (Skye Peak base to Killington Peak). Since its not possible, requires multiple disconnected lift rides or a lot of catwalks, their "True Vertical" is really only 1,640 feet, which is the vertical skiers would typical ride using the K-1 lift. Places like Jaypeak are spot on, with their reported vertical and "True Vertical" being the same. What I found interesting is in New England, Sugarbush has the highest true vertical, followed by Sugarloaf and Stowe

With Camelback, even if they did expand east, their lift would most likely travel from the new lower base area to the sub peak located on the eastern side. So in effect, they can state a higher vertical, but most, if not all skier would never ski that larger vertical drop. With all that said, do a google search for True Vertical, there is a website dedicated to documenting this.

mbedle

And another things about Camelback and this water park is Blue Mountain is also planning on doing the same thing. Not sure the Poconos need that many in such a small area. I don't think Blue's was going to be indoors, but they were going to put up a hotel. Last I hear is things are moving slow for them and they did mention a new trail going in for maybe the 2015/2016 season.

4aprice

With Camelback, even if they did expand east, their lift would most likely travel from the new lower base area to the sub peak located on the eastern side. So in effect, they can state a higher vertical, but most, if not all skier would never ski that larger vertical drop. With all that said, do a google search for True Vertical, there is a website dedicated to documenting this.

Where is this sub peak of which you speak? Camelback is pretty much a ridge, Sullivan and Stevenson quads end at virtually the same elevation despite being about a 1/2 mile apart. A new lift coming up from the creek would be ending somewhere in the vicinity of the Stevenson in large part to allow skiing the east side in windy conditions.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Where is this sub peak of which you speak? Camelback is pretty much a ridge, Sullivan and Stevenson quads end at virtually the same elevation despite being about a 1/2 mile apart. A new lift coming up from the creek would be ending somewhere in the vicinity of the Stevenson in large part to allow skiing the east side in windy conditions.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDAi5TzCAw

The only way to break 1000' at CBK is to pick up vertical by going higher , but thats a State park and not likely.
Even if you drop into the valley from the highest lift you end up 900'