• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

skiberg

I don't recall those specifics, but, they are cutting what appears to be beyond original trail width and this has been approved by the state so the idea that they cant cut beyond original width is clearly inaccurate. Keep in mind they are opening up the entire Taft slope way beyond what it was originally.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Clipped from proposal as updated in 2008 on page 1 of this thread:

No new lift, trail, glade development or expansion of terrain will occur above the 2,500 foot elevation beyond the 1989 developed footprint. Existing trail and lift alignments and their widths shall be considered the maximum allowed.

skiberg

Ok, I think that rings a bell as to why the new Taft cut will begin just below the top of the old T-bar line. I think I recall them saying they could not go to the top because of that restriction. So the cuts above on Barons must be to the original footprint because hey are above 2.5K. I also recall a discussion about what "footprint" meant. In other words, original footprint was bit wider than people expected. But the state n mountain knew what was meant by that language.

Puck it

It look like 2500' is below the tree islands that were on Baron's. It looks like they cutting above that. The old t-bar line top maaybe right at that 2500' level.

cannonmtnmapbig-1988-0000a.jpg

skiberg

Thanks for that map. I was looking for one of those. I think you are right, that has to be the explanation.

AdironRider

Yes! I've never understood all the complaining on AZ about this bird. To me all the best terrain is off the cut trails. And all that terrain is kept intact thanks to the thrush. If you are a serious tree-skier you have to love this bird.

You realize most eastern glades do require cutting right. That bird hinders all skiers.

dlague

mittersillmap-2009-0000a.jpg
mittersillmap-1998-1028a.jpg

Two maps showing the endnagered animal area. This is in yellow on the first map. The second map shows the state park and federal land line with the dotted line. Mittersill, the ski area is on state park land.

Yellow - As in beginner skiers and night skiing?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

SkiRaceParent

Can someone in the know explain to me the plan for this new ski area from a race perspective? I'm a little surprised that given the tough downslope wind conditions and also heavy storms that frequent that area on the backside of the notch, coupled with the fact that last I checked Cannon didn't have a viable FIS level ski race team, where the demand would come from? Also, with Waterville, Sugarloaf, Burke and Mt. Ellen (GMVS) in the fairly nearby facility, what is to be gained above and beyond those FIS-sanctioned facilities coupled with viable ski academies?

SIKSKIER

Where do I go with this one.Tough downslope wind conditions?Huh?Heavy storms frequenting the backside of the notch?Where ever that may be.Sugarloaf is fairly nearby?Only 2 1/2 hours down the road.
This is really all about the FSC.

SkiRaceParent

Where do I go with this one.Tough downslope wind conditions?Huh?Heavy storms frequenting the backside of the notch?Where ever that may be.Sugarloaf is fairly nearby?Only 2 1/2 hours down the road.
This is really all about the FSC.

I don't get why the FSC ski club is building a FIS-certified course a) in a place with highly variable weather conditions as compared to other training sites in the northeast and b) without having a FIS program. Are they building a super-G course for 8 and 9 year olds? Are they building this to rent it out to other teams, who already have multiple options to train on similar terrain, including for many at their own mountains? I respect the desire to invest in improvement and the sport of ski racing, just color me a bit confused as to the business model on recouping investment...that's all.

Newpylong

http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersillfaq.html

5. What’s in it for FSC?
The Club and Cannon would renegotiate FSC’s usage contract to include training/race use of the Taft Slope venue on a consistent basis, and training/race use of Baron’s Run on a limited basis. The Club would then be able to better utilize a far safer, yet more challenging terrain area for its athletes, set away from the general public, thus offering a better and safer skiing and snowboarding experience to both Cannon’s guests and its athletes. The T-Bar installation would allow for a quicker turnaround time for both FSC athletes and the general public when accessing the lower portion of the Mittersill terrain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't get why the FSC ski club is building a FIS-certified course a) in a place with highly variable weather conditions as compared to other training sites in the northeast and b) without having a FIS program. Are they building a super-G course for 8 and 9 year olds? Are they building this to rent it out to other teams, who already have multiple options to train on similar terrain, including for many at their own mountains? I respect the desire to invest in improvement and the sport of ski racing, just color me a bit confused as to the business model on recouping investment...that's all.

I think it's clear that FSC wishes to expand. And Mr. Bode Miller is helping with the $$$ for this. FWIW Cannon does have a history of racing...albeit a long time ago. They had a World Cup there back in the 1960's.