• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
A more or less unbiased report on Cannon alleged deficit. http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130505/NEWS06/130509574

A quote from that article:
She (State Treasurer Catherine Provencher) points out that Cannon actually operates at a profit but that revenues from Cannon go to support other parks that do not generate revenue. "Our parks fund was intended to be self-supporting, so I have to say Cannon and the Hampton meters pay for an awful lot of our system of parks that we can all enjoy," she said.

Nice Mittersill lift photo in article:
AR-130509574.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Hence my earlier post of:

Cannon falls under the guise of The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation which is a self funded state entity.

According to this article Cannon (along with Hampton Beach) actually helps fund the rest of the park system.

Smellytele

WIth this being said "
She (State Treasurer Catherine Provencher) points out that Cannon actually operates at a profit but that revenues from Cannon go to support other parks that do not generate revenue. "Our parks fund was intended to be self-supporting, so I have to say Cannon and the Hampton meters pay for an awful lot of our system of parks that we can all enjoy," she said."

Then the other statement was taken out of context for sure saying that Cannon was bleeding. It is really that Cannon is helping pay for the park system. I know a lease would as well but other things could bring that down as well (lawsuits to gain more land to build condo's).

On another note has anyone ever given any thought to buying the Mittersil time share place. Knocking it down and building a modern resort there now that the ski area is back up and running (sort of).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Personally I'm more interested in discussing the actual project and any pictures of work, etc. as opposed to getting mired in the debate about Cannon's revenue and privatizing Cannon, etc.

My understanding was that this work was to be funded largely by the FSC and they were actively fundraising. I also think that it was part of the plans to make Mittersill the base of FSC's racing.

Puck it

Personally I'm more interested in discussing the actual project and any pictures of work, etc. as opposed to getting mired in the debate about Cannon's revenue and privatizing Cannon, etc.

My understanding was that this work was to be funded largely by the FSC and they were actively fundraising. I also think that it was part of the plans to make Mittersill the base of FSC's racing.

That is what I thought also about the funding.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Well while snowmaking has always been part of the plan FSC is also part of the trail expansion so they have an additional place to train their race team and I would imagine run races.

This is on Cannon's site:http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersillfaq.html

2. Who would be funding this project?

Franconia Ski Club (FSC / the Club), a New Hampshire based non-profit (and partner to the State of New Hampshire / Cannon Mountain since 1933), has proposed the project, and would enact a private fundraising campaign to fund it. Upon its completion, FSC would gift the project (and all associated equipment) to the State of New Hampshire / Cannon Mountain. Upon acceptance of the project (and ownership of all associated equipment), Cannon Mountain would incorporate the facilities and equipment into its daily / weekly / monthly / annual operation of Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway & Ski Area (Cannon).

3. Who would handle the planning, fundraising, contracting, liability, and approvals?

FSC and Cannon officials have discussed the project and its planning at length, and have engaged in both field studies of potential environmental, watershed, and habitat impact and project construction planning. FSC officials have begun planning a fundraising campaign. FSC would act as the general contractor, funding the project and assuming any and all associated liability (and indemnifying the State of New Hampshire / Cannon), while ensuring contractors’ adherence to all State and Federal environmental and construction guidelines, under the guidance of Cannon’s mountain operations team. FSC and Cannon are jointly working toward local, State, and Federal approvals, acceptances, and permits; FSC, at its sole cost, has engaged the services of Ted Sutton as project manager, SE Group and Sno-Matic Engineering as trail / snowmaking system designers, and Lobdell Associates as wetlands mitigation / planning engineer.

4. Wouldn’t this project completely change the character and/or visual impact at Mittersill?

No. The vast majority of the balance of the Mittersill terrain area will remain in its current state (all-natural, no snowmaking/grooming) for the foreseeable future. There are some gladed terrain possibilities in some lower and upper sections, and some forested areas may be placed into preserved status to further protect the Bicknell’s Thrush habitat. The trail sections incorporated in this project would not exceed their 1989 footprint (Mittersill Alpine Resort ceased its skiing operations in 1984). The earlier trail network at Mittersill incorporated a far more open “swath” of terrain that encompassed the majority of the lower 1/3 of the mountain. The current trail / glade network at Mittersill (even with completion of this proposed project), incorporates a far greater diversity of terrain.

Newpylong

I don't get how the decision for the T-bar came to be. It would be a nice to have thing, but not necessary. The double sits there unused. They are planning on adding snow making on Skyline/Ridge anyway, why not just use the double to get down to the race slope. One thing to note, Taft used to be as wide open as their plan. Though if I were a Canon regular I can see why people would not like this one bit.

Puck it

I don't get how the decision for the T-bar came to be. It would be a nice to have thing, but not necessary. The double sits there unused. They are planning on adding snow making on Skyline/Ridge anyway, why not just use the double to get down to the race slope. One thing to note, Taft used to be as wide open as their plan. Though if I were a Canon regular I can see why people would not like this one bit.

They are lighting the old Taft slope for night training per the plan. Thus the need for the t bar.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that idea with the T-Bar was night skiing and faster access for racers. Kind of the like the Poma at Burke. And it's relatively cheap.

Edd

Anyone know what the nature of the fundraising will be? Seems like a lot of coin to just fork over to Cannon. I'm guessing a few people have deep pockets?

Newpylong

They are lighting the old Taft slope for night training per the plan. Thus the need for the t bar.

They pulled the lights from the initial plan. But long term that makes sense... thanks. It's probably operationally cheaper to run the T and lights only on Taft at night vs the Double and lights all the way down to Taft + Taft.