• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

Puck it

If they use both trails so be it, it's a State university using a State facility for 2 days. It just does not seem like a big deal to me.
Unless it is a powder day and the Birches and Candyland are calling!!!!!!

skiberg

Not sure how they handle it without any facilities. The Lodge is going to be packed. Ski out of the Tram that day.

I will however say that my experience when skiing at mountains when major events, including FIS events, are ongoing is that its just the opposite. The people who come to watch generally don't ski. The Public skier stays away and even some pass-holders will stay away. Call me crazy but I am willing to bet there will be no lines that weekend. I have done this a number of times and the ski areas are always uncrowded.

Jully

Not sure how they handle it without any facilities. The Lodge is going to be packed. Ski out of the Tram that day.

I will however say that my experience when skiing at mountains when major events, including FIS events, are ongoing is that its just the opposite. The people who come to watch generally don't ski. The Public skier stays away and even some pass-holders will stay away. Call me crazy but I am willing to bet there will be no lines that weekend. I have done this a number of times and the ski areas are always uncrowded.

Interesting. Count me in the category of staying away. I've avoided Sugarloaf whenever there has been a major event, like the US Alpine Champs a few years ago. Same thing at Wildcat whenever they host major races. Maybe I'll reverse that pattern this year. Highly doubt K will be skiable the weekend of the FIS races though...

dlague

I have been at Cannon for during high school and even Jr racing events and when they are not racing they attack the slopes with what feels like total disregard towards others. I can take care of my self but I feel bad for the not so good skiers and riders that get buzzed. During the races the Zoomer Chair and Eagle Cliff Chair get significant lines with spill over onto Peabody and Mittersill. With it being solely on Mittersill maybe things will be different. After one or two of those experiences we generally went elsewhere.

4aprice

I have been at Cannon for during high school and even Jr racing events and when they are not racing they attack the slopes with what feels like total disregard towards others. I can take care of my self but I feel bad for the not so good skiers and riders that get buzzed. During the races the Zoomer Chair and Eagle Cliff Chair get significant lines with spill over onto Peabody and Mittersill. With it being solely on Mittersill maybe things will be different. After one or two of those experiences we generally went elsewhere.

High School's is a huge event with kids from all up and down the east coast. My boy was in it 2013 at Cannon and 2014 at Attitash. Its spring, everyone's outside, I'm not surprised you saw a lot of the racers out playing around.

On the opposite spectrum I was at Dartmouth Skiways a couple of years ago and there was a race going on, the parking lot was full but if you didn't see the course, and have Worden's closed you would have never known it, as we literally had the mountain to ourselves. Oh yeah it was a powder (3-4 inch) day too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

I was at Whiteface 2 years ago when they had the NCAA championship and the place was not bad at all. There were schools from Alaska to Maine there. Most of the racers were blondes from Northern Europe. They had their own separate area in the lodge. The best part was when they all walked in for lunch - It was like a beauty pageant parade. Actually that night in lake placid at the dance club was the best.

Puck it

I was at Whiteface 2 years ago when they had the NCAA championship and the place was not bad at all. There were schools from Alaska to Maine there. Most of the racers were blondes from Northern Europe. They had their own separate area in the lodge. The best part was when they all walked in for lunch - It was like a beauty pageant parade. Actually that night in lake placid at the dance club was the best.
stalker