• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

Puck it

Maybe cheaper but 3 hours of driving for 4 days in a row would suck. I would rather not ski at that point. Driving back and forth to any mountain would be cheaper than owning a house near a mountain to but...

I agree if you are there for consectutive days.

SIKSKIER

I've always had mixed feelings on the Mittersill takeover.Couple things,you can't make an arguement about taking away the character of Barons.Its being restored to its original demensions.If you want to say you would like to stay the way it is I could argue that because it was a lost ski area it very well could have been totally overgrown and not skiable at all.
Secondly,once the genie was out of the bottle with the installation of the new lift, snowmaking was inevitable and no doubt a necessity now.Living right at the base of Mittersill for 20 years I'm very familiar with the snow coverage.Mittersill does get a fair amount of snow but Cannon/Mittersill melts are like nothing I've seen at any other ski area.The unique topography of where it sits at the top of the notch create terrible melts when the south wind blows up the notch.Foir Mittersill to be skied more than an average of 2 months a year it has to have snowmaking.

Cannonball

One clarification regarding taxes. Tax dollars spent on Cannon have an impact that is greater than the income received from the mountain itself. The people who ski at Cannon also pay taxes at hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. So the real question is whether or not the TOTAL revenues generated by Cannon (whether on-site or off-site) are greater than the total expenditure.

As far as off-site revenues are concerned, you would have eliminate tax revenues from money that would have been spent in NH even if Cannon did not exist. For example, if a family would have spent the same amount of money at restaurants and hotels while skiing Loon if Cannon was closed, those tax revenues should be excluded. I'm certainly not smart enough to figure out that calculation.

This is a really interesting point. As others have said, it seems very difficult to quantify but there is definitely a reality here. Take me for example:

I bought a house in Lincoln specifically to ski Cannon. I would not have bought in Lincoln to ski Loon. And may not have bought in NH at all. So ALL of the money that I contribute is specifically attributable to Cannon. That includes property taxes, meals taxes, gas, utilities, etc, etc. Before buying the house we were day-trippers and skied all over New England. Now 90% of our days are at Cannon. This represents another significant increase in our personal expenditures in NH vs other states thanks directly to Cannon. Cannon's terrain is part of the story, but the relatively low cost of passes was equally important in our decision of where to buy. If Cannon's passes cost as much as Loon's we probably would have looked elsewhere. I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it's in the tens-of-thousands of dollars per year that we as a single household are contributing to NH economy specifically because Cannon is a great, low-cost ski area.

Smellytele

This is a really interesting point. As others have said, it seems very difficult to quantify but there is definitely a reality here. Take me for example:

I bought a house in Lincoln specifically to ski Cannon. I would not have bought in Lincoln to ski Loon. And may not have bought in NH at all. So ALL of the money that I contribute is specifically attributable to Cannon. That includes property taxes, meals taxes, gas, utilities, etc, etc. Before buying the house we were day-trippers and skied all over New England. Now 90% of our days are at Cannon. This represents another significant increase in our personal expenditures in NH vs other states thanks directly to Cannon. Cannon's terrain is part of the story, but the relatively low cost of passes was equally important in our decision of where to buy. If Cannon's passes cost as much as Loon's we probably would have looked elsewhere. I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it's in the tens-of-thousands of dollars per year that we as a single household are contributing to NH economy specifically because Cannon is a great, low-cost ski area.

Thanks Cannonball for contributing to our tax system> while we do bitch about massholes they really do help our economy without burdening our schools and other services. yes they do use our roads and some services but far less than those who live here full-time.

Cannonball

Thanks Cannonball for contributing to our tax system> while we do bitch about massholes they really do help our economy without burdening our schools and other services. yes they do use our roads and some services but far less than those who live here full-time.

You're welcome. And I pay the tolls, so no bitching about the road usage either.

dlague

But doesn't certain lower mountain trails become inaccessible when the tram is not in operation? How do you get back to the Zoomer lift without hiking? Killington is a perfect example of a ski area that closes certain lifts during the week. Even with these closures all terrain is not only still accessable but easy to get to a lift from after skiing down.

Everything is accessible from the top! At the base is where you have to skate to - skateway, appropriately named.

I second the statement of resorts closing lifts midweek, it makes business sense. I see the electric bills from these ski areas and they are significant!

VTKilarney

NH roads are plowed much better than VT roads - at least roads in northern VT.

dlague

Not sure about that. But how's this for sending the Cannon debate into a tailspin..... The roads in Chile are in better shape because they are privatized (true). :popcorn:

I guess if some day Cannon gets privatized, which do not think will happen, I will have to return to deal hunting! Who am I kidding, I still am deal hunting even with a pass.

ScottySkis

NH roads are plowed much better than VT roads - at least roads in northern VT.

I remember like 12 years ago North VT was great at getting snow off 89 during snow storms. Not so much any more it sad because I know with my car I cant make it their so I go else where and they louse money at a place in North VT.