• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

Cannonball

Agree. I'm saying there was a point where people just started disagreeing with everything he said due to his agenda and their personal dislike of him. His valid points were lost.

Exactly. And that is what really bothers me about him and his approach. The decision making and financials at Cannon deserve some serious and objective scrutiny. I question a lot of what is going on there. When he brings his clearly biased and seriously devious methods to the conversation it is extremely polarizing. It makes it impossible to have an informed discussion. Nobody likes to feel like they are being manipulated to serve a hidden agenda. So, exactly as you say, his valid points get lumped in with his agenda and essentially rule out the ability to discuss it sensibly.

I'm glad he's not doing here anymore. But as you know, he is still at it elsewhere.

skiberg

It looks to me like a lot of the cutting is the lower part of the trail. However, I know the tree islands are coming out this year, as part of this cut I presume. Snowmaking is NOT going in this year, so it will still be skied on natural snow this season.

MadMadWorld

I just get this sinking feeling they are just trying to rip the band aid slowly off. I think it's downhill from here.

skiberg

Its a limited approval from the state. snowmaking will be on Barons and another trail, skiers left off the top, that will cut back and connect into Barons Snowmaking will also be on the lower part, when they cut to open it up for racing. That's it. No approval for anything else. snowmaking may actually help direct skiers who should not really be there to specific trails and keep them off the side-country stuff. There is still a ton of terrain off the top that is only hike accessible. This will have no effect on these trails. I think Barons,with snowmaking will be the best ripper on the hill; longest continuous vert around.

MadMadWorld

Its a limited approval from the state. snowmaking will be on Barons and another trail, skiers left off the top, that will cut back and connect into Barons Snowmaking will also be on the lower part, when they cut to open it up for racing. That's it. No approval for anything else. snowmaking may actually help direct skiers who should not really be there to specific trails and keep them off the side-country stuff. There is still a ton of terrain off the top that is only hike accessible. This will have no effect on these trails. I think Barons,with snowmaking will be the best ripper on the hill; longest continuous vert around.

I thought someone said the old tbar line was going to go away too. Maybe it's just angry Cannon pass holders blowing smoke :eek:

skiberg

You are right the old T-bar line is set to be cut eventually. However that's such an obvious line now. It's skied out in a couple hours. I loved that line 20 years ago but now it's mundane.

Puck it

I thought someone said the old tbar line was going to go away too. Maybe it's just angry Cannon pass holders blowing smoke :eek:

It is going away. They going to cut the old Taft slope to the original width. This means the T-bar line is gone. The snowmaking from the top will be down Barons all the way and from Skyline to the Taft slope.

Puck it

You are right the old T-bar line is set to be cut eventually. However that's such an obvious line now. It's skied out in a couple hours. I loved that line 20 years ago but now it's mundane.
Agree, but it still hold the snow better than others on the mtn.

The question also is "When odes the bar go in!!!!!!!"

skiberg

Its going to be a bit. They still need to finish fundraising for Barons. Which by the way is now an "Official US Ski team training site". In other words there is some big money behind this. Apparently the old Taft Slope is a very, very good hill to race train on. US ski team as scouted it. They love the slope and that they can train athletes on Eastern man-made hardpack early season. Apparently its closest to Euro race snow. So its probably going to happen sooner rather than late.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Barons,with snowmaking will be the best ripper on the hill; longest continuous vert around.

You watch your mouth buddy. I know change is inevitable, but don't egg this type of operation on. Next thing you know, they'll be throwing snowmaking and grooming in on Hardscrabble.

skiberg

Its funny, I've been lucky enough to poach hardscrabble a few times right after grooming and I must day its an absolute blast.I agree though, I like it nasty.

Puck it

Its funny, I've been lucky enough to poach hardscrabble a few times right after grooming and I must day its an absolute blast.I agree though, I like it nasty.

I think you mean Upper HArd. I have never seen Mid Hard groomed. And I always poach it.

skiberg

Nope, Mid hard groomed. very rare but lots of fun. Ski's a bit like Upper ravine, but on steroids.