• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

skiberg

I think it was 2011-12. It was midweek, right after a warm-up/rain event. I think they groomed it out to dry it out and set it up for the next snow. It was very firm.

skiberg

Attached is a map that I think sets forth the propped cut and snowmaking pretty well.

skiberg

As far as I know this is still the plan. I know lights are out on Taft, but I don't think they narrowed the cut. No way they can narrow Barons and have it homogenized by USSA.

skiberg

If you are asking if this is wider than you expected, as far as I know this is the approved plan. It has something to do with the elevation. Above a certain elevation can only go to orig. width. below that they can be more aggressive, henceforth the Taft cut. I think this is correct.

Puck it

I think it was 2011-12. It was midweek, right after a warm-up/rain event. I think they groomed it out to dry it out and set it up for the next snow. It was very firm.

That was the same yer they groomed over to Mitty I think.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As far as I know this is still the plan. I know lights are out on Taft, but I don't think they narrowed the cut. No way they can narrow Barons and have it homogenized by USSA.

Personally I think it is the lesser of two evils...wider and regularly groomed as opposed to NELSAP. I did ski it back in 2005-2006 before the new lift and it was nice, but I was hoping to see it come back.

Puck it

If you are asking if this is wider than you expected, as far as I know this is the approved plan. It has something to do with the elevation. Above a certain elevation can only go to orig. width. below that they can be more aggressive, henceforth the Taft cut. I think this is correct.

See maps. They are at the original widths
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cannon-mittersill_brochure.jpg
    cannon-mittersill_brochure.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 274
  • mittersill.jpg
    mittersill.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 274

skiberg

Barons isn't even on the B&W map. I think that's a pretty old one.

skiberg

I just really think its going to help skier traffic and free up the sidecountry a bit. Most people r not going to mess around much with the rocs ad tree stumps wen they can ski man made snow under foot. I know its counterintuitive so I am interested to see how I works out.

Smellytele

My issue is when racing is occurring on Baron's getting back and forth to Cannon proper will be an issue. Also if they are practicing on Taft then how do you get back to the lift from skiers left.

skiberg

Races will only be a few days per year. But that is why they are making snow on the cut across trail you can see in the above map. They will station course workers to allow people to ski across the course, to the other side, when it is safe. This happens at a lot of hills.They already do it on middle ravine during races. Should not be a big prob. Training hours will lose the upper part of the trail but no affect access to base area.

bobbutts

Some new wide groomed cruising terrain at the expense of quite a few existing natural runs. skiberg may be right about it taking some heat off of the remaining natural terrain. But since it's a slow, long, double chair I think most people who like that kind of terrain will stick to Peabody.

SIKSKIER

. It has something to do with the elevation. Above a certain elevation can only go to orig. width. below that they can be more aggressive, henceforth the Taft cut. I think this is correct.
I'm pretty sure the agreement with the landswap specified all terrain cannot be cut back further than the former widest clearing.

Puck it

The Bicknell Thrush problem is at a certain elevation. The width of thtrails can only be as wide as the original trails also. See the old maps.

skiberg

I don't think so. I think it is ONLY that portion that deals with the land swap. In other words, State park land or land protected for the birds. That I believe is basically the top 1/4 of Mittersill.

Below that elevation I think is private land and they can basically do whatever they want provided they meet basic environmental codes etc. Don't quote me on this, but actually raised this issue to them and if I recall correctly, that is the response I got.

Puck it

mittersillmap-2009-0000a.jpg
mittersillmap-1998-1028a.jpg

Two maps showing the endnagered animal area. This is in yellow on the first map. The second map shows the state park and federal land line with the dotted line. Mittersill, the ski area is on state park land.