• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

MadMadWorld

Because I said he was the alter ego of 'skitillidie' ?? That was a joke. I hate to have to explain humor.... But it was based on the comedic principles inherent in a paradox. TB is the furthest opposite I could think of from STID. and trust me that's a compliment to TB.

I'm just trolling tough guy!

I know how we can settle this...

witch hobble

During this super g off, will I be able to get back to the main mountain? Do I have to ride a shuttle bus?
:daffy::daffy::daffy:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It will be interesting to see how this works out for racing.

Here are the rough stats of the Mittersill and Burke racing venues.

Stats (roughly figured using Google Earth):

Mittersill:
Barons (Giant Slalom/Super G)-
Vertical: 1180'
Length: 3990'
Average Slope: 29.5%
Trail Intersections: 1.5
Width: 200-220'
Lift: Double chair (easily accessible from bottom and top)
Terrain features: ? I've never skied Barons and the recent bulldozing has likely significantly modified whatever was there before.

TBar Slope (Giant Slalom/Slalom)-
Vertical: 705'
Length: 2000'
Average Slope: 35%
Trail Intersections: less than 5
Width: 250-400'
Lift: Dedicated T-bar (easily accessible from bottom and top)
Terrain Features: ? I've never skied these slopes and the planned bulldozing will likely significantly modify whatever is currently.

Burke:
Upper/Lower Dipper (Super G)
Vertical: 1430'
Length: 5340'
Average Slope: 27%
Trail Intersections: 6-7
Width: 100-175'
Lift: HSQ (easily accessible from bottom and top)
Terrain Features: Kind of a slow flat starting area, that transitions into a steep to low pitch rolling terrain with multiple blind rollovers/jumps.

Warren's Way (Giant Slalom/Slalom)-
Vertical: 1100'
Length: 3110'
Average Slope: 35%
Trail Intersections: 5-6
Width: 100-230'
Lift: Dedicated Poma (easily accessible from bottom and top)
Terrain Features: Steep upper half transitions to a short "flat" into a medium pitch lower half. A few mild rollovers/fall-aways.

The big advantage Mittersill is going to have is Super G training isn't going to hog up one of Cannon mountain's primary Blue trails servicing the summit. Safety netting could likely be left up year round. The trails are super WIDE allowing for many more options for course setting and "safer" crashing.

skiberg

My understanding is that UsSA really likes the terrain at Mittersill. That is the big reason they are behind this. They have compared the terrainto some training spot on a glacier in Europe which I can't remember. All I know is that the USSArep raved about the terrain for training purposes. This does not mean that it will be the best race course in the area it simply means that for training this terrain is going to be perfect for what they're looking for. It has something to do with the pitch, the number of rolls, in the way the terrain flows down the mountain. Keep in mind, this is all contingent upon FSC completing the fundraising. They still need another 2 million or this thing is dead in the water.

SIKSKIER

[h=3]From WCAX website

US Ski Team to train at Cannon's Mittersill area[/h]Posted: Oct 24, 2014 10:00 AM EDT<em class="wnDate">Friday, October 24, 2014 10:00 AM EDT</em>Updated: Oct 24, 2014 10:02 AM EDT<em class="wnDate">Friday, October 24, 2014 10:02 AM EDT</em>[h=6][/h]

FRANCONIA, N.H. (AP) - The U.S. Ski Team will begin training next year at Cannon Mountain's Mittersill ski area in New Hampshire's White Mountains.
The Caledonian Record reports that the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association reached an agreement with Cannon, the Franconia Ski Club and Holderness School to use Mittersill starting next season.
The ski area is currently spending about $3 million dollars on snowmaking and other improvements including widening of trails.
Eric Harlow, USSA Eastern region alpine director, tells the paper the area will become a world-class training center.
Mittersill was closed for more than two decades before reopening in 2009. It offered back-country skiing with limited grooming and, until next year, no snow-making.
Mittersill will be one of four USSA training sites, joining ski areas in Idaho, Colorado and California.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

machski

Been a while for this in the Northeast. WV use to host World Cup slaloms, Sugarloaf had been a sanctioned area and held events and if I remember correctly, Attitash use to be a training venue as well. Glad to see a Northeast area grab this by the horns!

Puck it

I am begiining to wonder a little about this. Will the USSA be paying for the snowmaking and lift operation when it is just the snowmaking trails open and they are closed to the public?

bobbutts

So does the USSA mean it will be used a higher percentage of the time than we were talking about earlier?