• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

skiberg

Yea, seems a bit like that but the people I'm talking to know all about those places. Most of them probably know more than I do.

witch hobble

DHS is playing hindsight 20/20 more than revisionist historian. That would be more like saying "this was the plan all along and you guys just don't know how to read".

I'll play along though. For me personally, selfishly, yes I would go back and reject the notion of the lift. I'm willing to hike a bit, and that way if I miss the pow day itself, there would be more soft, settled snow left to plunder in the following days.

This would let some of the $ be spent elsewhere too.

Cannonball

There's no point in asking "...had a choice of going back to the old ways of Mittersill now would you? ".
1) Which "old ways"? 2 years ago? 10 years ago? 30? 50? There's an evolution there from nothing ->developed -> dissolved -> redeveloped (present) -> future. So your 'end point' will color your answer and it's all subjective.
2) What's done is done. The past doesn't exist, only the present.

If the question is really "Do I like the present configuration and future plans?" A: I don't care that much. I used to like to ski over there....these days I like to ski there less. That doesn't mean I disagree with the business decisions being made. They are what they are. They make sense in a lot of ways. Only time will tell if they are profitable.

The only thing I've mentioned as "beef" (AR's term) with it is the marketing. It is simply a redevelopment of a defunct ski area. There is nothing wrong with that. So why do they pretend it's anything else

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
DHS is playing hindsight 20/20 more than revisionist historian. That would be more like saying "this was the plan all along and you guys just don't know how to read".

The fact is, except for the recent development of race terrain, that a lift and snow making has been part of the plan for revamping Mittersill since 1999. Many people didn't know that. I didn't know that and when I heard that Mittersill would be reopened I too thought that it would be turned into a backcountry park like Jay.

When Cannon first reopened the area nothing had been done yet so it was marketed as a backcountry area. "Cannon Naturally" was only to attract attention. The following summer the access was practically bulldozed. I emailed Devivo and asked naively if the old lift towers would be left and only the loose cables be removed. "Naturally" I got no answer. It was about that time I joined this forum, did some digging myself and found the original proposal online on what was left of Mittersill's old site. The site is gone now but I may still have that PDF somewhere. It showed the plans to restore Mittersill to be fully functional lift serviced area had always been the plan.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

DoublePlanker

That picture is in this thread. The original plan was for HSQ with much wider trails. The lift would have gone much higher. But the federal land swap curtailed that plan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree there is no point. But you could say that of x%? of the conversations here. A lot.

Yes, absolutely no point to my question. It was totally hypothetical. I recognize the chair ain't coming out. We're not going back to the way things were. Yes, embrace the new, because that's the way it's going to be.

And to Cannonball, everyone dates themselves regarding reminiscing about the way things were at all ski areas. It does depend on who you ask as to what they wish Mittersill should be. Some want it like it is now or will soon be, some wish it was like circa 2000, some circa 1990 and so on and so forth.

Many conversations here speak in hypothetical situations. There's been some pretty big screw ups in ski development over time all across the region, which leads to such thoughts. Canyon area at Killington is a hot button with old timers at K. The Front Four at Stowe. Sunday River could have done a much better job with Oz. Sugarloaf certainly over-widened much of their terrain. Burke has a had a few trails wrecked even prior to the Q, that people get upset about.

End of the day, Cannon is still an awesome ski area and will always be great no matter what happens at Mittersill. I just asked that question because to me, I would have rather the current plan been out in the open long ago; truthful development intentions, instead of what appears to be sneaking in the long ago plan over time. And again, my opinion does not matter at all to Cannon. I still have that opinion though.

witch hobble

It's a tough topic to take a nuanced stance on, because of all the Cannon threads that have polarized the internetz.:daffy:

SIKSKIER

Thinking about this more,here is how I see it.If Mittersill was not sitting right next to Cannon it would never be reopened and probably lost forever.Which ever side you stand on,reopening Mittersill has to be a posiive.All the cutting(myself included) that occurred over the years was illegal and if not for that,most of the terrain would be lost.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'll say this ... Cannon blew their chance at having the perfect side country stash. It could have been a winter garden a veritable paradise. And it would have also attracted dirtbags and hippies from everywhere, which is a notoriously cheap crowd.

So in terms of making MONEY it was, regrettably, the right decision. Cannon has always been maligned for being an experts only mountain (SO not true) but by adding Mittersill, the quintessential intermediate area, they can squelch that mentality and attract mega-buck spending families. So I'll say this too ... power to 'em!

bobbutts

I'll say this ... Cannon blew their chance at having the perfect side country stash. It could have been a winter garden a veritable paradise. And it would have also attracted dirtbags and hippies from everywhere, which is a notoriously cheap crowd.

So in terms of making MONEY it was, regrettably, the right decision. Cannon has always been maligned for being an experts only mountain (SO not true) but by adding Mittersill, the quintessential intermediate area, they can squelch that mentality and attract mega-buck spending families. So I'll say this too ... power to 'em!
Totally disagree. Mittersill is never going to compete with Loon and BW and Waterville on cruising especially with that double chair and terrain closed for racing.

AdironRider

Yeah seriously, Mitt can never be Loon or Waterville.

The front five is going to ski better now. Bonus!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Totally disagree. Mittersill is never going to compete with Loon and BW and Waterville on cruising especially with that double chair and terrain closed for racing.

You can disagree all you want but I think that's what they're after. The chair won't close just to serve racers. I can see the racers getting tired of the slow ride to the top so there'll be a t-bar put in and boda-bing it's back to the way it useta be. Herr Von Pants would be very happy. Besides they don't need to compete on the same level as Loon or BW.

machski

Add to it that Waterville will likely see its first expansion in decades soon, Loon had South Peak and will add the beginners Pod and new base at South likely next year and BW's expansion over the last decade and Cannon needed to keep up. Having Mitt turn more often will help attract attention to their size for the average skier in the 93 corridor.

Edd

Loon had South Peak and will add the beginners Pod and new base at South likely next year...

Do you have a source for that? I'm not seeing anything online. It would be great for Loon to disperse the crowds more.

AdironRider

You can disagree all you want but I think that's what they're after. The chair won't close just to serve racers. I can see the racers getting tired of the slow ride to the top so there'll be a t-bar put in and boda-bing it's back to the way it useta be. Herr Von Pants would be very happy. Besides they don't need to compete on the same level as Loon or BW.

You can cook up whatever story you want in your head, but the dead horse has already been beaten that Mitt can never expand past what it originally was. That will never compete with Loon or BW or Waterville, or whoever you want to include as a competitor.

machski

Check Loon's website and do a search for forest service approval. The pod will begin where the bridge crosses the pemi at South peak now (basically, escape route is included in the pod. 2 FGQ with the top one topping out basically at the escape route/cruiser intersection.) This will also be the new base are for south and public access point. No guarente next year, but within the next 2 I would suspect at the least. Not sure it will thin crowds any as this will be beginner/very mellow terrain, but Loon has needed a good, dedicated beginner pod for a long time.
Here's the link http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...i.com/11558/www/nepa/82005_FSPLT3_2325767.pdf
Do you have a source for that? I'm not seeing anything online. It would be great for Loon to disperse the crowds more.

Last edited:

witch hobble

^^^ boy they are really bringing the ski area to town. That's easy walking distance from just about anywhere. Lincoln, NH = Eastern Vail village

machski

Yeah, I know at times some type of Gondola from South Peak base to main street downtown had been discussed, if South Base ever gets built up condowise like envisioned, I suppose that could still happen. Then it would be directly linked.

Puck it

Here is a pic of the new width from distance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• barons.jpg
    barons.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 266