• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River improvements for 2014

dlague

On the map it does not like like there is even 10 acres of glades between Agony and Top Gun.

The new 75 added last year are as follows

T72 is a 15-acre terrain park located between 3D and Dream Maker trails. It was designed with the help of Snow Park Technologies and Olympic hopeful Simon Dumont. Look for a jump line, rail features, and super pipe. It is serviced by two lifts.

Hardball, the double black diamond glade on White Cap Peak between Shockwave and White Heat trails, has been extended from 3.2 acres to 13.4 acres. It was made possible by extensive tree work.

Chutzpah, another double black glade on White Top, has been expanded from 5.7 acres to 29.4 acres. There will also be a second entrance off Obsession trail.

North Woods Glade, also black diamond, is a new glade between 3D and North Exposure Trails. It extends for 6.1 acres.

Super Nova glade is now 4.2 acres of black diamond terrain with a new entry off Airglow Trail and exit into Celestial glade.

Finally, Poppy Fields is a new 15.8 acre double black glade reached by following the Kansas trail and dropping into the glade, exiting back onto the Cyclone trail.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A conveyor would improve the speed of some of their other lifts, like White Cap and White Heat Quads.

darent

A conveyor would improve the speed of some of their other lifts, like White Cap and White Heat Quads.
how does a conveyer help a slow lift ? I see it as organizing the loading, but will they increase the lift speed ? still a fixed lift

Smellytele

how does a conveyer help a slow lift ? I see it as organizing the loading, but will they increase the lift speed ? still a fixed lift

I think they are saying that with more controlled loading the lift will stop less. Not that it goes faster but you can get to the top faster because it doesn't stop.

To be honest when i first saw them I thought they stopped more because people would f up getting onto the belt but they seem to be better setup now

Edd

I'm under the impression that those lifts do run faster, hence the need for a conveyor to get your ass moving and not get mowed down.

thetrailboss

Staff member

They can run fixed grips faster. The issue is loading. So the conveyor belt helps with loading. If you've been on Supreme at Alta or Skyline at Sugarloaf you know what I mean....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SIKSKIER

Spruce Peak Triple Chairlift: New Conveyor Loading System
Sunday River's Spruce Peak Triple chairlift will undergo an upgrade in time for winter ahead. A new conveyor loading system is being added to the base of this fix grip lift, which will improve the loading experience, reduce stoppage time, and increase its speed by 20 percent.
This is why you need the conveyor.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm kind of surprised they went with the conveyor on Spruce over installing it on the Temptest Chair first. The Temptest chair is the lift people seem to complain about being slow the most at SR. Then again, the Spruce lift does access more usable terrain.

SIKSKIER

Tempest for the most part is a lift used to get somewhere else.Most of the condos owners (my business partner being one) in that area use it to get access out of there only.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I had a pass there I used to ride it frequently because of the bumps on Tempest. Jibe is also a trail that is off the radar for most folks and because of that it is great on a powder day. White Cap is also the best place to park as a day tripper to the mountain. Flat parking lot with easiest walk to a lodge.

darent

I think they are saying that with more controlled loading the lift will stop less. Not that it goes faster but you can get to the top faster because it doesn't stop.

To be honest when i first saw them I thought they stopped more because people would f up getting onto the belt but they seem to be better setup now
ask nick about conveyors, they are "tricky"

darent

When I had a pass there I used to ride it frequently because of the bumps on Tempest. Jibe is also a trail that is off the radar for most folks and because of that it is great on a powder day. White Cap is also the best place to park as a day tripper to the mountain. Flat parking lot with easiest walk to a lodge.
that is where I head on a powder day, no one seems to ski that area and it holds the goods the longest IMHO

Vortex

This will also get people out to the Aurora area, as well as Jordan a bit faster with less congestion. I think at some point there will be more terrain availble off Spruce.

I want to keep seeing the money go into snow making. Bottom line is when conditions are good anywhere, we all do well. When mother nature does not help, there is no place in the east I would prefer to be. The snow making and grooming are fantastic. Looking forward to October.

SIKSKIER

When mother nature does not help, there is no place in the east I would prefer to be. The snow making and grooming are fantastic. Looking forward to October.
Your old mountain in Lincoln does an amazing job now recovering.I don't ski there but am a jealous Cannon skier when we are all in recovery mode.