• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your most memorable day of skiing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
If you could pick just one day of all of those you have spent on the slopes, which would be the best and why?

I'm going to give a multi-part answer.

Emotionally, it was March 2005 at Killington skiing down Ram's Head with my father. It was our last time skiing together before his ALS weakened him too much to continue. It was a simple blue groomer, but that one run will be forever in my mind. I can still see the joy in his eyes as he loved skiing so much, even though at that point he was too weak to do anything beyond a blue (and he had always kicked my ass all across the mountain).

My actual best ski day ever was heli-skiing in BC with my dad in 2001 (or 2002??). We had a midweek day where there was fresh snow and we were going through very sparse trees. There were these 4 - 5' drops all over the place and just skiing fresh powder, with regular drops, and a great rythm between the trees, was probably the best ski day I've ever had.

Hopefully even better ones are still in the future :)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Most memorable would be a an 18" powder day at Wildcat back in 2007 or 2008. Not because it was the best skiing, but because it was probably my worst skiing. It was my first season back on skis after more than a dozen years away from the sport. I had no clue how to ski powder, and I was that guy in the lodge during lunch complaining about there being too much snow. It humbled me to get better, because I knew those were the conditions skiing was meant to be done in.

dlague

Skiing Alpspitz and Zugspitz in the same day in Garmisch when I was in the military - actually there were several days like this. Just an experience i was not used to being from the East.

More recent was on Feb 26th 2012 we skied Jay Peak after a 3 day dump of 51 inches. That particular season was anemic with respect to snow fall! We had planned on skiing at Bolton Valley the day before (Feb 25th) and it was snowing like crazy - cars and some SUVs could not make it up that climb to BV. We made it ok, but got there to find that they shut down the mountain except for a lower lift so we decided not to ski. There was a pretty good lift line and visibility was actually very limited. However, we ate there then headed to Jay Peak for the next day. Parents lived up that way. We woke up on the 26th with a boat load of snow! Skiing was absolutely insane with powder blowing over our shoulders. Groomed runs were so quiet and yes we did get stuck a few times on some powder flats. This was one of the last trips with our family that season because my wife broke her shoulder at Burke the very next day and our son was heading to Army Basic Training that summer. Family trips have not been the same since since there are 3 fewer kids home now. Still love skiing in any case, but really enjoyed when everyone was together.

Honestly speaking though, I have many very memorable days of skiing! We often find ourselves reminiscing about different trips and no single day is ever singled out. Our family loves the sport and just being able to get out there is memorable enough for us - Grateful!

Smellytele

If you could pick just one day of all of those you have spent on the slopes, which would be the best and why?

I'm going to give a multi-part answer.

Emotionally, it was March 2005 at Killington skiing down Ram's Head with my father. It was our last time skiing together before his ALS weakened him too much to continue. It was a simple blue groomer, but that one run will be forever in my mind. I can still see the joy in his eyes as he loved skiing so much, even though at that point he was too weak to do anything beyond a blue (and he had always kicked my ass all across the mountain).

My actual best ski day ever was heli-skiing in BC with my dad in 2001 (or 2002??). We had a midweek day where there was fresh snow and we were going through very sparse trees. There were these 4 - 5' drops all over the place and just skiing fresh powder, with regular drops, and a great rythm between the trees, was probably the best ski day I've ever had.

Hopefully even better ones are still in the future :)

After reading this I can type nothing that is worthy.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
When I think about it there so many specific memories that have to do with skiing that it would be impossible to say one is more memorable than another. Such as: When I first tried skiing at 7 and hated it. When I tried again at 8 and loved it. Nearly freezing my toes because of the rubber boots I had and being in so much pain that my Dad had to encourage me all the way down the mountain and then getting real leather boots; or my first buckle boots; my first fiberglass skis with step in bindings. All the places I've skied although not very many I have specific memories for all of them. Like racing with the Meriden Ski Club at Powder Hill and beating my older brother. Throwing a double daffy, catching my tip, spinning around and landing backwards at Southington. Skiing nights at and singing Mississippi Moon on the lift. Watching my Mom getting launched by the T-bar at Berkshire Snow basin, having her wig get knocked off in the process and laughing about it all the way home. (Never saw that wig again. She got a big furry hat that tied on.) Teaching at Powder Ridge and Southington with my younger brother. Skiing at Mt Snow in the rain with another instructor one day in the rain that changed to snow and created a surface that I've never skied before or since. Skiing at Killington in late April in a snow storm. Waking up at ungodly hours, packing into the family station wagon or catching a bus to ski. Skiing my ass off at Cannon, picking up this girl, having one drink, falling asleep with her in my bed and finding out later she just jumped in bed with my roomy and I had no idea. My only trip out west for a week to Jackson Hole with friends. Skiing glades with my older brother at Jay, following a friend of his into the Dip for the first time and having to walk back to the lodge. The last time I skied with my Dad. The last time I skied with my older brother. So many I remember so clearly I can just sit back and picture them in my mind. I can think of more and I keep adding more.

RustyGroomer

Certainly one of the most memorable,......3/1/08 Magic. So much snow,.........complete go anywhere blower all over the mountain. Meatheads filmed the Magic segment in Head for the Hills. One of my favorites from that day. Not the deepest, but I love the solitude in this one. Myself in the trees.
MeDeepWoodsColorChange.jpg

crank

I remember runs or bits of runs or several runs or even a few incredible turns but my most memorable day skiing... Ummm, I forget.

soposkier

One that sticks out to me was not a powder day but a day at Sugarloaf in late April 2009. Temperatures warmed into the 70s (might of even been 80s), but the snow from spillway up held together nicely. Skiing in shorts, t-shirt, red Sox hat and sunglasses. Coverage was amazing. Did a hike to the summit and skiied a prime white nitro ext. I usually have some sort of whisky in my flask, but on that day I did tequila. Ended it with a bag burger. Best spring skiing day I've had for sure, maybe one if the best all around.

MadMadWorld

Valentine's Day 2007. 66" of snow in the Mad River Valley over a 3 day period. I skied things that I would probably never ever do again. Waist deep skiing is the most of the most amazing and exhausting things!

jimk

I remember runs or bits of runs or several runs or even a few incredible turns but my most memorable day skiing... Ummm, I forget.

Aren't they all memorable??

How about that run down Paradise in Mar '13 at MRG:thumbup:
mrg 5.jpg

Last season, most memorable: 3/20/14 freeskiing around Hunter Mtn on the day my son took his PSIA L3 skiing exam and PASSED.
vince at hunter psia.jpg
Runner up, for more selfish reasons: 1/1/14 powder at Loveland, CO.
Nordica Burner powder loveland jim.jpg

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
February in 1985...Went on a group trip to Banff with 4 freinds 20+ others, noticed a brochure from Banff a few months before the trip. Banff Mountain Helisports...$150 for 10K vert or $250 unlimited . Buddies are in ! I send a deposit check.
Guy tells me Meet at a small resteraunt in town of Canmore.
Only 2 other people there , We start joking we've been taken. Guy in a booth behind laughs and intoduces himself as our guide.
Huey will be here soon, After signing a long release form it's beacon 101 training behind the restaruant.

Blue bird and in the 20's ,Pilot takes off and heads for a box canyon ,I see him smile at the guide, Somethings up, He pushes the nose over and drops over the canyon wall, everyone groans, then he mentions due to Chinook winds day may be short.

As we went into the moutains the clouds were broken and a little snow squall in places. Guy lands on a level area on a ridge. we all jump out. Pilot takes off and noses over and dissapears in the clouds below.
I stood up and looked at the horizon of peaks , snow flurries drifting by with the sun glinting of the slowly passing flakes.I did'nt feel like skiing just wanted to take in that sight for hrs.
We started through a gully and the guide pointed to a natural drop off and said air it out if you want, I was the second one to go , we all stopped dead in the powder landing area. Set up LOL
Powder was knee deep and nice , lower down the valley things got dicey , I stopped and started a small slab.
We did 2.5 runs and the clouds lowered, pilot was flying low on the way out. the last ridge was barely VFR.
fun day burned into my memory .

catsup948

Best two west coast memories. 2/1999. 17 years old skiing Taos on 195 skinny skis in 18 inches of fresh. So light and fluffy.
2/2008- Skied some crazy gully in a glade at Cooper. Powder was waist deep. So deep we couldn't find our way out and it took us an hour to get down.

I have so many great memories here in New England.

Late 2/2010- Two epic days at Saddleback after the famous "Snowicane" blizzard which buried the western maine alps in 60 inches over 2 days. Bombing through the woods, launching rocks, cliffs and stumps. It was total hero skiing!

10/30/2011- Single most memorable day of my skiing life. A freak late October storm dropped 30 inches on Berkshire East the night before. Charged my Land Cruiser into the parking lot with snow billowing over the windshield. Skinned to the summit and literally skied straight down Flying Cloud because the snow was so heavy and deep. Definitely my most memorable day on skis!

xwhaler

Late 2/2010- Two epic days at Saddleback after the famous "Snowicane" blizzard which buried the western maine alps in 60 inches over 2 days. Bombing through the woods, launching rocks, cliffs and stumps. It was total hero skiing

What a wknd this was! Saddleback delivered and it was epic. A wknd of skiing and friendship I will hold forever

gmcunni

2 days stand out in my memory -

good - late march day 2007 @ Alpine Meadows, Lake Tahoe. in sacremento for biz and took a vaca day, skied solo.. didn't want the day to end. sunny and warm with tons of snow

bad - pres weekend 2013 @ sugarbush. daughter had horrific crash on first run of the weekend.

4aprice

Lots of options for the best day ever like first time skiing with the future wife, powder days in Utah and Colorado, but I will go back to one very recent one, at of all places Camelback PA. Feb 15, 2014. 2 days after somewhere in the area of 15-20" arrived early that Saturday for 1st tracks. The day turned into a powderfest as 10" of fluff fell during the day freshing up the slopes every run and keeping everybody away. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/128486-Camelback-2-15-2-16-2014

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Lots of options for the best day ever like first time skiing with the future wife, powder days in Utah and Colorado, but I will go back to one very recent one, at of all places Camelback PA. Feb 15, 2014. 2 days after somewhere in the area of 15-20" arrived early that Saturday for 1st tracks. The day turned into a powderfest as 10" of fluff fell during the day freshing up the slopes every run and keeping everybody away. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/128486-Camelback-2-15-2-16-2014

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

A very Awsome Weekend indeed!.....My 2nd best day ever. 4hrs skinning for 15min run ...can't wait to do it again

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/128492-Back-Country-Pa-2-16-14?highlight=lehigh+ravaine