• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Humans be Unecessary? (economics)

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Human's aren't necessary now!

Okay now that I've actually watched the video. I wonder that with all the automation already taking place why did the number of different types of jobs rise from 10 in the 18th century to over a 100 in the 21st. Maybe there'll be 1000 different types of jobs in the future. On the other hand, if no one is employable and no one making any money no one will have the income to even buy these things so they will have to be free. If all the labor is then is free ...
:daffy:

Last edited:

snoseek

Base income will be discussed more in the future IMO as this becomes a reality (already is). Gonna be an ugly dialog I bet.

Edd

The jobs will still exist to maintain these things, of course. I've spent a bunch of years in jobs just fixing things. All of this crap breaks constantly.

Geoff

The jobs will still exist to maintain these things, of course. I've spent a bunch of years in jobs just fixing things. All of this crap breaks constantly.

Nope. Once bots are able to learn, repairing automated equipment also becomes automated.

A positive from this is that automation of medicine is the only way we're going to escape from the economic debacle we're in now where 17%+ of GDP is going to health care. It's going to suck for the people feeding at the Medical Cartel trough but you can at least project out to a time where health care costs will start dropping.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wonder if at some point procreation habits change also. I mean, one of the reasonse we do so good economically (still) is because of population growth. 200M to 300M americans in what, 30 years? There are 100 Million more people in the US today than when I was born.

ctenidae

Increased population does equate to increased consumption which looks like growth, which increases sales, which leads to profits. If populations decrease, we'll all need to consume more to maintain growth.

Geoff

I think we are all very fortunate to be living in the current economic window.

Yes, though the very first baby boomers born in the late-1940's had the best window as long as you didn't get drafted to fight in Vietnam.

jack97

I wonder if at some point procreation habits change also.....

Hear's something I have been hearing about and something to ponder while we are waiting for snow....
There is a high correlation of population stagnation as countries industrialized.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A positive from this is that automation of medicine is the only way we're going to escape from the economic debacle we're in now where 17%+ of GDP is going to health care. It's going to suck for the people feeding at the Medical Cartel trough but you can at least project out to a time where health care costs will start dropping.

Hopefully none of this happens soon. I just got an offer to join the Cartel today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Didn't get the chance to do much. Interview started a bit late and went long. Traffic back into town from Redmond was worse than normal according to some of the employees I spoke with because of the Seahawks game at 7. So, I got into town, received the phone call on the offer from the VP, then had another couple calls with the guy who will be my boss and the recruiter. After all that, all I had time for was to take a quick trip up the Needle and then grab a quick bite at some hipster dive bar around the corner from there before heading off to the airport.

I'll be out there in a few weeks and be able to check out more of what the city has to offer.

AdironRider

Im pretty sure this is an argument that comes about with any advance in technology. Jobs get replaced. Saddle makers and blacksmiths all died off with the advent of the automobile, but just as many new jobs opened.

Who do you think will service, repair, maintain, design, implement, and operate all these robots? Other robots?

Unlike the chicken or the egg, there is an impetus here, and that impetus is a human.

skiNEwhere

It's not a 1:1 ratio of jobs getting replaced. Companies care about the bottom line. If they can spend 1 million on a robot that will save them paying 2 million on salaried employees, they'll do it. Yes, there will be employees that need to fix those robots, but corporations wouldn't be spending money on these machines in the first place if they wouldn't generate an ROI