• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Humans be Unecessary? (economics)

snoseek

Didn't get the chance to do much. Interview started a bit late and went long. Traffic back into town from Redmond was worse than normal according to some of the employees I spoke with because of the Seahawks game at 7. So, I got into town, received the phone call on the offer from the VP, then had another couple calls with the guy who will be my boss and the recruiter. After all that, all I had time for was to take a quick trip up the Needle and then grab a quick bite at some hipster dive bar around the corner from there before heading off to the airport.

I'll be out there in a few weeks and be able to check out more of what the city has to offer.

Congrats dude. Does this mean you may end up in the PNW? If so that would be kinda cool...I think that area has a lot to offer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Congrats dude. Does this mean you may end up in the PNW? If so that would be kinda cool...I think that area has a lot to offer.

Nope. Home based position like my last sales gig slinging sausage. I'll be home a couple of days a week and on the road managing the MA, VT, NH, ME territory for the company.

Have to say though, in the short time I was in Seattle I REALLY liked the area. I hope there's a fair amount of travel in my future to the company HQ where I can extend my stay and check out the area. Always wanted to hit Crystal Mountain and Baker.

Edd

WA is such a big state with so much cool stuff. The islands, the Olympic Peninsula, the Cascades, legitimate wine country, good skiing, Vancouver with Whistler beyond. The place is ridiculous.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What struck me from the air and 12 hours on the ground was how green it was and the amount of water; both salt and fresh water. Prior to my interview I took a drive along the shores of Sammamish Lake, which was just down the street from the company HQ. Completely overdeveloped lake in regards to housing, even more jam packed than Lake Winni here in NH, but still stunning.

My western US exposure is limited to several visits to Colorado and California once and though both places were beautiful, the lack of water and the predominantly brown landscape never really wowed me in the same sense as what I saw in just a short time in Washington. Granted, I was there on a perfect weather day. 75, sunny, very few clouds. Maybe I wouldn't have been so wowed had it been rainy and dismal like you read it often is in Seattle.

damn clean city too; much more so than Boston from what I saw

Geoff

My sister has lived in Vancouver since 1986. Sure, they have 300 overcast days but most days, it just spits a little so you're not out in a downpour. The weather at sea level is downright mild. It's rarely much below freezing in the winter and it's rarely above 80F in midsummer. They typically get a couple of months of perfect bluebird weather in the summer. My sister also has a place on Galiano Island in the rain shadow of Vancouver Island. It's much more sunny there and you typically get 5 or 6 months of pretty good weather.

I put out feelers to move to Seattle when I was unemployed 6 or 7 years ago. I knew a few people at Clearwire (mostly owned by Sprint) and interviewed for a job there. I didn't get an offer and, in retrospect, I'm glad because that company has seen huge turmoil and I'm not sure I would have had steady employment. I like Vancouver way better than Seattle but it's kind of out of the question moving to Canada when you're tied into the US Social Security and IRA/401-K retirement system once you get beyond your mid-30's. You wouldn't get much of a pension from either the US or Canada.