Hiking boots review or knowledge.

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point

Hiking boots review or knowledge.

GoLite XT89 Hiking Boot - Men's

Chcoloate/Grapeleaf, 9.5 - Item GOL000D

I just bought these from steep and cheap for 55$ with shipping I have hiking shoes but not boots wonder if anyone has used this brand. I know once i start wearing them it be to late to return. I love my hiking shoes i got 90 but they do not do well on major and louse rocks. I you dont recomened these what do you recomond? Thanks for all advice.

I'm still using old EMS Gore-text boots that I bought in 1999. They still suit me good for hiking and have good ankle support. I'm sure there are probably much better options nowadays. I think for loose rocks good ankle support is key. Also, not sure about the soles but 15 years ago Vibram was go-to for a good sole with great traction, even when wet. It had a "stickiness" about it that made you feel really solid.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Here's a review at Backcountry:

http://www.backcountry.com/golite-xt...ot-mens#review

And a less than stellar review at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/GoLite-Mens-XT...ustomerReviews

Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Here's a review at Backcountry:

http://www.backcountry.com/golite-xt...ot-mens#review

And a less than stellar review at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/GoLite-Mens-XT...ustomerReviews
    Thanks they were shipped today. I do some more reviews and probably return them.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    Thanks they were shipped today. I do some more reviews and probably return them.
    Don't fret it Scotty..50% of reviews in hiking boots are similar to reviews in skis that come from "experts" who "ski the steeps fast" and ask "what ski is best for me"....(insert :YAWN)..
    SteveD

Ask Highwaystar, he will have some input.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Also, don't forget that reviews typically come from people who have complaints with items, particularly when there aren't a lot of reviews (this one just has one review)

I've ordered several thigns from Amazon before that only had 3 stars that I was incredibly happy with.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Just like ski boots, I think it's best to go to a local shop and try on multiple pairs and find one that works for you. I am fortunate that I have EMS, LL Bean and REI stores close to me. In my opinion REI has the most knowledgeable people in their stores on proper boots, fit, etc. Both LL Bean and REI have very generous return policies - I have returned hiking shoes to both stores for fit or other issues. Just this week I returned a pair of hiking shoes to LL Bean that started ripping at the toes and they were about 8 months old. Without any hesitation they took them back. I got the same shoe in this years model which was $20 more than what I previously paid and LL Bean did not make me pay the difference. For the same model shoe I also went down a half-size for a better fit.

For boots it's whatever fits your feet good.

I've given up on hiking boots since I have weird ankles and end up with heel lift and blisters on the heels after trying a lot of different pairs(Lowa, Zamberlain, Asolo). I now have two pairs of trail runners(Innov-8 Trailroc 255 and Rocklite 315) I use for day hikes and overnight backpacking(30 lb +/- pack) and have had no problems, actually have found I don't roll my ankle much probably from the minimal soles on them and am a lot less fatigued after the hikes.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

I agree, I switched away from boots years ago, and have had less ankle problems. I also gave up on pure trail runners on mountain hikes as I got tired of feeling sharp rocks through the soles. I'm now on 3rd pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. Still a low top, but they have a solid shank that gives great support, and are still light and flexible, and have great grip. Based on the reviews others like them too. I always wait for a sale and haven't paid more than $60 for a pair.

They may not work for you, but just saying that I see a lot less hikers wearing boots these days, except in winter of course.

Thread Information