Hiking boots review or knowledge. - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Those boots were to small. I ordered a 9.5 boot and my foot is a nine but wide so i should have ordered bigger. anyway got size tried on several different pairs yesterday and just fit best. size 11 really good pair of Merrell great boot brand, size 11 at Gardner sports store yesterday that fit like a glove for$ 110.. no pain!!!!! no advil!! today 5 hours hiking. I had low cut boots for the past year and they were ok but pain with big boulders. so glad i got these hiking boots yesterday oh what a difference.

Thanks for the advice all.
    Last edited by ScottySkis; Sep 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM.

I'm another one who doesn't like boots, they just never feel right at the ankles. At the moment i like the Merrell line, plus they often have great sales on select colors of current popular models, not just the duds.
    All Out Blaze strictly for hiking - http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...e?dimensions=0
    Ventura is another one to look at - http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...a?dimensions=0
    If you prefer a boot, both of the above are also available in a mid height.
    All Out Rush are also nice, suitable for both hiking and trail running, i personally like mixing it up, (they happen to be to wide for me, could be good for you), - http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...h?dimensions=0

Those of you who use low top hiking shoes, do you get toe bang when hiking downhill?

I also have ankle issue and PREFER low top. But I got pretty bad toe bang when going down hill. So it's a catch 22 problem for me...

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Those of you who use low top hiking shoes, do you get toe bang when hiking downhill?
    Never happens to me, sounds like the shoes are too short, or not laced tight enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    Never happens to me, sounds like the shoes are too short, or not laced tight enough.
    Well, they're the right length walking on flat ground. But when going downhill, foot slip forward and bang on the front of shoe!

I couldn't laced any tighter without cutting off circulation. Still slips...

I had this problem while hiking the Gunks with Scotty, I ended up with each middle toe black and blue under the nails. My boots are pretty old, 10yrs maybe, they haven't been used for much hiking, but I've worn them as street shoes. I never had issues with them when they were newer. I did wear two pair of socks in an attempt to make them snugger. I think they've stretched over the years, and don't hold my feet snug enough to prevent toe bang on descents. Nice boots though, Vasque Gortex, leather nylon combo. They are definitely not too short.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

I had this problem while hiking the Gunks with Scotty, I ended up with each middle toe black and blue under the nails. My boots are pretty old, 10yrs maybe, they haven't been used for much hiking, but I've worn them as street shoes. I never had issues with them when they were newer. I did wear two pair of socks in an attempt to make them snugger. I think they've stretched over the years, and don't hold my feet snug enough to prevent toe bang on descents. Nice boots though, Vasque Gortex, leather nylon combo. They are definitely not too short.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

If you're getting toe bang it sounds like they don't fit your feet right, try a different brand as each will fit differently or try a different size. I've found New Balance or Innov8 seem to feet my feet perfectly while no matter what style Nike or Addidas I try they just don't feel right for me. Lots of good brands out there, try them on and buy on fit, not price.

2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Thread Information