• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River Help

levy1

Last edited:

levy1

You're going to love SR based on your likes. As to lodging, White Cap Inn is a basic and cheap alternative. Very basic. Jordan is way out of the way albeit trail side.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I see the white cap has a pool and sauna. any reason to pick this hotel instead of the Grand as far as trails or convenience?

levy1

Great info here and I am glad I joined. I have been skiing out west for many years but I see I can do 2 trips east for the price of 1 out west. I am about ready to lock into Sunday River Grand for $550, 2 queen, 5 night stay with lift ticket and 1.5 hours daily lessons. This is the Go 50 promotion which includes breakfast and activities. Just waiting for the answer to staying at white cap. Snow Cap and White cap would be $100 less. I really want a pool in the deal. At 67 I need convenience and do not want to haul any gear anywhere I do not have to. I cannot wait to run Rogue Angel on my new Blizzard GS skis.

Vortex

Grand summit is ski on ski off, lounges, pool, Hot tub, amenities and quietier, nice lockers. Snocap is a shuttle ride, You could walk, but if your are 67 I bet you would ride. No easy walk. $100 savings is worth it and the first Cold day you will appreciate that. Really no comparison. If a bus group happens to hit, you will be glad you are at the summit and not either of the other locations. Most of the people there for the event will be in the Grand Summit too. Summit has all Boyne Beds (very comfortable) nice TV set ups. Can't suggest this over the others strongly enough. Easier to grab a shuttle there too.

Last edited:

Vortex

I see the white cap has a pool and sauna. any reason to pick this hotel instead of the Grand as far as trails or convenience?
They are not remotely similar. White cap is nice and I have freinds there and its ski on ski off. If you need to save money chose this over snow cap. I owned on moutain for 8 years. Just my opinion, but the deal you have is awesome, stay at the summit. The Snow cap dorms are not what you have said you want. Great set up, but not the thing you stated you needed. You are going to lug gear and be out of the social aspect and have to get on a bus everytime you want anything.

SkiFanE

Since it's in January, which seems to 90% of all years has a bad freeze/thaw/rain/ice cycle...SR is well equipped with snowmaking to quickly recover. Personally, January is the worst ski month in ME - either cold/windy/horrible or wet/drizzly and a thaw. And that rain/thaw always seems to occur after a nice snow storm...when we all seem to forget it will wash away. Gotta love new england.

I ski SR not quite as many days as BobR (but if they counted runs I may beat him ;) ) - you'll be happy. Unfortunately for me, lol...they do great in the grooming and snow making department, which is what you want.

We like gapers that spend good $ at SR! You'll be welcomed and like Bob says, good vibe. Head off-mountain to Bethel for nice meals...I never eat on mountain but for lodge lunches...not as good of a value.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Actually I was referred to this forum by a moderator of the other forum and she was correct in telling me I would receive more extensive information on the east at this forum and I have not to mention free stickers!
I appreciate all the help.

There will unfortunately always be some that like to bust balls. AZ is (mostly) a welcoming community.

Glad to have you here :)

levy1

Thank you for the information. We will arrive Sunday evening and ski the week through Friday.

CoolMike

Didn't read the whole thread but wanted to say that Sunday River is perfect for you based on your description.

If I had to book a vacation in the East more than a few weeks in advance I would for sure chose Sunday River. They terrain is good enough, but the real benefit is that they are absolutely committed to taking care of the trails. In very bad natural snow years (2010-2011 for example) the terrain at SR was still great. Attitash, Wildcat, and even Sugarbush were all extremely difficult to ski that year, but over at SR everything was super smooth, groomed out, and fresh in the morning.

I will say that the Grand Summit is better than the Jordan in my opinion, but both are nice. Even better than either of those is the condos near the North Peak base. Staying here is great, especially on weekends because you can hop onto the gondola in just a few minutes and from there navigate easily anywhere you want to go. At night you can easily grab a quick snack at the condo, then run back to the gondola and lap the lighted runs a few times. Last season we skied well into the night at temps of -4F and had a blast. Thank goodness for the gondola ride because it was pretty chilly up top!

Have fun!

Edit to add: If you ever need info about Sunday River - they have a great community forum. The link is on their web page and looks like a small copy of the logo. This will take you to their forums. You should be able to just google it up. The people that frequent that forum are absolutely experts on the mountain and the surrounding area. For example, they run a contest where they have to identify the trail based on photographs taken of the tree lines near the trails and people often get it within minutes of the picture being posted. With as many trails as there are at SR this is pretty impressive to me.

Vortex

Didn't read the whole thread but wanted to say that Sunday River is perfect for you based on your description.

If I had to book a vacation in the East more than a few weeks in advance I would for sure chose Sunday River. They terrain is good enough, but the real benefit is that they are absolutely committed to taking care of the trails. In very bad natural snow years (2010-2011 for example) the terrain at SR was still great. Attitash, Wildcat, and even Sugarbush were all extremely difficult to ski that year, but over at SR everything was super smooth, groomed out, and fresh in the morning.

I will say that the Grand Summit is better than the Jordan in my opinion, but both are nice. Even better than either of those is the condos near the North Peak base. Staying here is great, especially on weekends because you can hop onto the gondola in just a few minutes and from there navigate easily anywhere you want to go. At night you can easily grab a quick snack at the condo, then run back to the gondola and lap the lighted runs a few times. Last season we skied well into the night at temps of -4F and had a blast. Thank goodness for the gondola ride because it was pretty chilly up top!

Have fun!

Edit to add: If you ever need info about Sunday River - they have a great community forum. The link is on their web page and looks like a small copy of the logo. This will take you to their forums. You should be able to just google it up. The people that frequent that forum are absolutely experts on the mountain and the surrounding area. For example, they run a contest where they have to identify the trail based on photographs taken of the tree lines near the trails and people often get it within minutes of the picture being posted. With as many trails as there are at SR this is pretty impressive to me.

Good point. the SR Community board is a pretty tight knit group. There are cross posters here.

Dickc

I would also add that the Grand has a ski check just inside the door. All you need to is bring in your skis and they check them for the night. You pick them up in the morning. Second is that the Grand has a beginning area right next to it. There are some slightly more advanced trails there too. Also, during the over 50 week there is at LEAST one tour of the snow making operations. Look for that on the web site, or ask at the hotel. It is VERY informative and its free. The Grand can usually be skied even during windy weather. Jordan can shut down at the drop of a hat in the wind. If the lifts by the Grand do shut down for wind, the shuttle ride to South Ridge takes only a few minutes. The ride over from Jordan is longer. Lots of the advice here is very good many good trail choices are listed. Hope you have a good time.