• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Gaperific eastern ski mountain?

skiNEwhere

There is a perfectly logical resolution to this. Do I even need to state it?

jimk

Wintergreen in western Virginia. My cousin went skiing there for the fist time and he told me about it. I checked it out online, and that place is it, big time.

Wintergreen is the anti-MRG :thumbup:

I ski there at least once most winters. 1000' VD, among the lifts are two express chairs, one is a six pack. It's on par with a place like Wawa. Just avoid Saturdays. Not far from Charlottesville/UVA where one of my kids goes to school.
Wintergreen stoke:
wintergreen apr 2014.jpg
wintergreen highlands chair.jpg
wintergreen bumps wild turkey.jpg
morgan wintergreen april 14.jpg
Many of above pics from early April 2014. Still open because they have an awesome, fully automated York snowmaking system that even you New Englanders would kill for.
wintergreen snowmaking.jpg

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

It's rain or shine this year. We might need to move it indoors. In that case it will become a jousting match in full ski regalia

mbedle

perfect analogy for blue, and the reason i keep driving another hour to get to elk

An hour? Pushing 90 on the northeast express.... lol. Have to agree with the analogy, and the trash issues drives me nuts at Blue. But in all fairness, if you head up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and only ski for a couple of hours, its not that bad. If you are lucky enough to ski during the week, you will have Blue all to yourself. I will give credit to Elk, its the gem in PA with the least crowds, bed runs and snow.

Highway Star

Still open because they have an awesome, fully automated York snowmaking system that even you New Englanders would kill for.

It's easy to install automated snowmaking when your ski area is smaller than a golf course, and about the same pitch.

mbedle

The vertical potential at this place is beyond me. Wold kick snowshoe's butt if they could get down to Route 751

Wintergreen is the anti-MRG :thumbup:

I ski there at least once most winters. 1000' VD, among the lifts are two express chairs, one is a six pack. It's on par with a place like Wawa. Just avoid Saturdays. Not far from Charlottesville/UVA where one of my kids goes to school.
Wintergreen stoke:
View attachment 13281
View attachment 13280
View attachment 13282
View attachment 13283
Many of above pics from early April 2014. Still open because they have an awesome, fully automated York snowmaking system that even you New Englanders would kill for.
View attachment 13284

skiNEwhere

What's this dumpster that is being spoken of? Is it like the trash barrels that are stuck directly under the lift at big bear?