• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Gaperific eastern ski mountain?

Smellytele

+1

Killington is my vote.
While K does have the most they also have a fair amount of good skiers so the % maybe lower than the feeder mtns people mention. If we narrowed it down to the larger mountains they still may have a lower percentage than say Loon or SR but only because the larger amount of good skiers. Now attitude they win hands down.

skiNEwhere

Wintergreen in western Virginia. My cousin went skiing there for the fist time and he told me about it. I checked it out online, and that place is it, big time.

BeefyBoy50

I agree on the places closest to big cities- in my personal experience I'd say Blue Mountain and Bear Creek are the worst that I've been to. I try to avoid Blue Mountain because it's like the Walmart of ski areas- sure you can get what you want (albeit in a low quality package) but a lot of the clientele makes me despair for humanity. Seriously, is it necessary to have a dumpster sized trashcan under the lift? And people still throw junk all over the mountain anyway. I wonder if the place would be better if they didn't have high speed lifts.

I'm not really sure I knew the term gaper last time I was at Windham but that place gets crowded for sure so i bet you can find a lot of them there.

I agree on the places closest to big cities- in my personal experience I'd say Blue Mountain and Bear Creek are the worst that I've been to. I try to avoid Blue Mountain because it's like the Walmart of ski areas- sure you can get what you want (albeit in a low quality package) but a lot of the clientele makes me despair for humanity. Seriously, is it necessary to have a dumpster sized trashcan under the lift? And people still throw junk all over the mountain anyway. I wonder if the place would be better if they didn't have high speed lifts.

I'm not really sure I knew the term gaper last time I was at Windham but that place gets crowded for sure so i bet you can find a lot of them there.

perfect analogy for blue, and the reason i keep driving another hour to get to elk

dlague

Gaper according to urban dictionary - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gaper

a couple of quotes from it

a term used by dbags to degrade new skiers in an effort to boost their own self esteem.

A fun game to play while skiing or riding behind a gaper is called "Follow the Gaper". The game is played by following the gaper's path and looking as bad as they are.

Came to the conclusion - we were one at one point or still are!

bobbutts

Sunapee IMO. Its for the weekend day trip gapers that think they need a better mountain than Wawa.
Funny, I go there on weekdays and I'd say it's one of the highest concentrations of experts I see because there are usually a bunch of racers free skiing. I went once this year on a Saturday and upon seeing the parking out for miles down the road, decided to hit Whaleback instead.

SkiFanE

Anyone using the word "gaper" is one. Sorry folks. According to my kids, term you should be using is "noob".

Personally, I think anyone that needs more than one ski in a quiver is a "noob". Bunch of sissies needing one for different conditions...what could be more 'gaper-y'? And spending quality ski days demo-ing... c'mon...strap em on and head downhill.

Highway Star

Anyone using the word "gaper" is one. Sorry folks. According to my kids, term you should be using is "noob".

Personally, I think anyone that needs more than one ski in a quiver is a "noob". Bunch of sissies needing one for different conditions...what could be more 'gaper-y'? And spending quality ski days demo-ing... c'mon...strap em on and head downhill.

News flash - your kids are gapers. Or just stupid.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob

trackbiker

Forget gapers. You haven't seen anything until you see the Bubba's in their Carhartt coveralls skiing in the mountains of N.C.

skiNEwhere

Gapers are not all or none. There's a complicated formula used to determine the level of gapness.