• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Revealing Secret Stashes Online - Why YOU are an IDIOT for doing it...

Highway Star

Recently a long time poster who should know better and will remain nameless* because he's an idiot felt the need to post directions here to one of Killington's more interesting (but far from the most interesting) off the map spots. I would not normally take time from my busy day to write such a detailed PSA, but seemingly this part of "bro-code" is not evident to some people.

Why is this a problem? Everything is a secret until people find out about it. It is one thing to be an accomplished skier and to observe the mountain while skiing and find something off trail to ski....it's quite another to post directions online to a spot, so anyone, and possibly those lacking skills, can find it. This is not about exclusivity, the mountain is open to everyone, but they need to be willing to work for it. Simply buying a lift ticket does not entitle you to the best the mountain has to offer.

In this case, the location in question is well known to most locals and regulars, and can be readily found off several trails by anyone looking to ski off trail. It does see less traffic than you would expect; however, it gets skied out with only a moderate level of traffic. In fact it's probably less popular than it used to be because of a reputation of it being badly skied off. It is a narrow, technical trail/glade that requires quick turning. Three snowboarders sideslipping down it would pack down all of it, and rip it down to dirt and rock in many places. While it is not a complete secret, the vast majority of people skiing Killington will pass right by it without knowing it exists......nor do they have any business being on it.

The problem is random hacks using google, reading your post (in a thread about the hardest trails no less), finding the spot, and sideslipping their way down it, wrecking it for everyone. Or even worse, getting hurt or lost, requiring evacuation by ski patrol, which could curb our freedom to ski off trail. Enough people die skiing every year without you helping by getting them in over their head. And what about those hard working people that have hiked up in the summer to trim back that little known glade, so they can make it better and enjoy it more? I'm sure they would be angry if their freely given hard work was offered up to everybody online.

People who want to know the spots will ski with a local friend, or look themselves.

Show, don't tell is the bro-code rule. If you're skiing with someone, show them. Don't tell people at the bar or the internet how to find the awesome spot you were skiing. Nobody is impressed, they just think you're a fool.

Thanks for reading,

HS

*(Puck It)

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

I saw some dude post secret stashes on TGR.....they were NOT happy (not that they ever are), although it was a pretty funny thread to read.

I agree to the "bro-code" though. As soon as a secret stash is made public, it's no longer secret. I've found a few stashes at Copper and Winter Park. Some were awesome, and some sucked really bad due to lots of downed trees that were 2 feet off the ground that I had to step over.

The process of trial and error and the ultimate reward is what makes finding stashes worth it, and they shouldn't be made in public domain.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
As long as is happens at Killington. The unmarked glades at Cannon would be over Highway Star's head and we don't want to risk giving him information on terrain he could get hurt on.

Highway Star

As long as is happens at Killington. The unmarked glades at Cannon would be over Highway Star's head and we don't want to risk giving him information on terrain he could get hurt on.

I've skied about a third (or more) of the off the map terrain at cannon.

MadMadWorld

Oh snap that definitely sounded like a challenge to me. I would tell HS to get even and post Cannon stashes but we know HS ONLY skis Killington dammit!

WWF-VT

Hey HS - can you post the link to "the directions here to one of Killington's more interesting (but far from the most interesting) off the map spots" that is currently under discussion. I missed it the first time it was posted and too lazy to look it up. Thanks!

Puck it

I've skied about a third (or more) of the off the map terrain at cannon.

So you know where saddle sore and gunsight are? Btw. The secret stash is not a secret if you can see it. Should I tell people where the Light?

You you have proved you are a douchebag. Yet again.

skiNEwhere

As much as HS annoys me sometimes, I think these points are valid. Bottom line is, people should keep their mouth shut about stashes. Amen

Puck it

So you know where saddle sore and gunsight are? Btw. The secret stash is not a secret if you can see it. Should I tell people where the Light?

As much as HS annoys me sometimes, I think these points are valid. Bottom line is, people should keep their mouth shut about stashes. Amen

This is is not a stash. It is completely obvious. Just like the trails off the saddle at Cannon. There is nothing secret about this. Get over it. I did let out anything top secret.

MadMadWorld

I know! I know! Could you just give GPS coordinates, detailed directions, and landmarks to remind me.

Highway Star

This is is not a stash. It is completely obvious. Just like the trails off the saddle at Cannon. There is nothing secret about this. Get over it. I did let out anything top secret.

That's not the point. It IS a stash, please delete your posts. I did ask you nicely several times.

Puck it

You can even access it from Big Dipper Glade.