• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

National Geographic lists out Top 25 Ski Towns

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://adventure.nationalgeographic...tos/#/girdwood-alaska-skier_47305_600x450.jpg

With excellent photos, as you'd imagine from NatGeo. In the Northeast, North Conway and Stowe made the list. Not sure if I'm surprised on Stowe, considering it's dedicated to one resort? I've never skied it so I don't know what the town is like.

I'm also sort of surprised not to see any eastern Canadian resorts on the list. You would think Mont Sutton or something might get the nod for the european style ski town.

Anway, here is the rundown:
[h=1]TOP 25 SKI TOWNS IN THE WORLD:[/h]#1 – Girdwood, AK, USA
#2 – Fernie, Canada
#3 – Zermatt, Switzerland
#4 – Bozeman, MT, USA
#5 – Chamonix, France
#6 – Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy
#7 – Whitefish, MT, USA
#8 – Crested Butte, CO, USA
#9 – Aspen, CO, USA
#10 – Niseko, Japan
#11 – Kitzbühel, Austria
#12 – Bend, OR, USA
#13 – Mont Tremblant, Canada
#14 – Taos, NM, USA
#15 – Park City, UT, USA
#16 – Truckee, CA, USA
#17 – Whistler, Canada
#18 – North Conway, NH, USA
#19 – Banff, Canada
#20 – Steamboat Spring, CO, USA
#21 – Telluride, CO, USA
#22 – Jackson, WY, USA
#23 – Wanaka, New Zealand
#24 – Stowe, VT, USA
#25 – Ketchum, ID, USA

Domeskier

East Rutherford, NJ will be topping this list soon. Unfortunately, I think the attention will only spoil my secret stashes.

skiNEwhere

I didn't see a link. What was their criteria on determining what comprises a "ski town"?

skiNEwhere

Not sure if you want to ski fernie with their questionable avalanche response methods

trackbiker

I'm also sort of surprised not to see any eastern Canadian resorts on the list. You would think Mont Sutton or something might get the nod for the european style ski town.

#13 – Mont Tremblant, Canada

As far as I know Mont Tremblant is still in eastern Canada. :wink:

4aprice

How do towns like Taos, NM, Bend Or, and Ketchum ID which (correct me if I'm wrong) are quite a distance from their respective ski areas, beat out Jackson, Telluride, and Steamboat which are right there? Salt Lake City could be on that list IMO. Aspen is the best ski town I've ever been to in large part because the slopes are right there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not sure if you want to ski fernie with their questionable avalanche response methods

I bought the DVD a few years back....hilarious!

As to the list, some good ones there.

Zermatt: it's awesome. Isolated because of the location. You can't drive there.

Jackson: good one as well.

North Conway: ditto.

Park City: three ski areas in one town. Need I say more?

Aspen: went last month. Love the ski areas. Hate the lack of parking downtown. Damn expensive.

I'm surprised that Stowe was not higher. It is dubbed "Ski Capital of the East" for a reason. Pretty idyllic town.

As to "ski cities", I'd nominate SLC. Love living out here...lots going on, awesome access, good career options, and incredible vistas.

salt-lake-city-downtown-2.jpg

BenedictGomez

Lake Placid is my favorite ski town in the east, and it didn't even make the list = yet another crappy ski list.

Savemeasammy

Most of these I am familiar with, so I am surprised that Girdwood, AK is #1. I had never even heard of it until now.

Although it's not very big, I prefer Tahoe City to Truckee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbedle

I'm not really sure I would consider some of these "ski towns". Bend, OR as a ski town is like calling Kingston a ski town for Hunter.... or Rutland a ski town for Pico and Killington. Just doesn't make sense to me.

ScottySkis

I'm not really sure I would consider some of these "ski towns". Bend, OR as a ski town is like calling Kingston a ski town for Hunter.... or Rutland a ski town for Pico and Killington. Just doesn't make sense to me.

That is funny because my dad moved to Kingston in the late 1970s so he could be closer to Hunter. But you are correct it not a all a ski town it nice being a little less then an hour to the Catskills and Catamount from their.