• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski pole impalement injuries

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Does this ever happen? I was watching a wipeout video of madmadworld and while he's rocketing down the hill I see his pole bouncing in the edge of the frame and all I can imagine is how painful it would be to be stabbed by that thing by connecting to it the wrong way.

This ever happened to anyone? I guess at least the basket would prevent it from going in more than 2 or 3" :snow:

Highway Star

Nick, I see that you post lots of interesting new threads. Where do you get all these ideas? You must be very creative.

No, in many, many years of skiing, I've never seen anyone impaled by a pole, except, in the privacy of my own ski house.

MadMadWorld

I think it would take a lot of force to penetrate a jacket and layers. I think blunt trauma is more likely. I've taken hard shots to my ribs that have knocked the wind out of myself a few times while tree skiing. So in a hard fall I think broken ribs are very possible.

skiNEwhere

About 10 years ago I was messing around in the half pipe, and I over rotated or something, and accidentally put my pole in front of me. When I landed the rubber top part of the pole jammed into my stomach.

It did not feel very good, I felt like I was gonna throw up for the next 10 minutes.

Whitey

Ugh, you had to ask this question - be careful what you ask for, you may not like the answer.

A college buddy of mine moved out west after college & was ski bumming it. I forget where, I think it was CO. He was a good skier and hit it pretty hard. He was skiing fast & hard one day and ate it. Full rag doll/cartwheel. With what could only be described as a "one in a million" type scenario, as he cart wheeled one of his poles got below him and as he came over the end of the pole got caught between him and the slope. Not that bad, right? Wrong! Where the working end of the pole caught him was right at/on his a$$hole. The end of the pole tore thru his pants and then, I guess there is no other way to say this - tore him a new A-hole.

Needless to say he ended up in the hospital with many stitches and surgeries. No joke - he survived it but it messed him up pretty good for a couple of weeks afterward as he recovered and had to cr@p thru a tube. . .

skiNEwhere

That is awful....... De he recover to ski again, assuming he even wanted to?

Hawkshot99

Never stabbed...but when hitting a jump my pole came down in front of my body. Tip went In the ground and the handle to my stomach. Bent the pole to a 90 degree angle.

Mapnut

I've almost smashed my face on a planted pole. Does that count?
I actually accomplished this, quite a gaperish move, trying to stop on a steep pitch. The pole stopped abruptly while my face continued downhill, gave myself quite a jolt to the left cheekbone.

SkiFanE

A friend of ours from college went skiing, a little bit on the toasted side, huge wipeout, rammed his pole into his abdomen. Stopped skiing, but stayed at mountain, kept drinking...then later went to ER and found out he injured his spleen. He then had a stroke, dropped out of college and was never the same. Very sad.

Vortex

I was leaving a mountain when I was about 8 and turned around and got a ski pole in the the mouth and cracked a tooth. Have had it capped a couple of times. The ski pole carrying technique would belong in the gapper thread.