• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee latest news on expansion - west bowl

Savemeasammy

I don't ski there much, but I know that additional parking will be a welcome addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good to hear....especially after the long litigation.

Any word on the upgrades to the Sunbowl Quad?

powbmps

Sunbowl quad has already been removed. The HSQ from Okemo is going in shortly. I believe that's it for this summer. The slow quad will replace the slow triple on North Peak and the slow triple will go from the Sunbowl to North Peak. Maybe that will happen next summer.

Don't think you can see anything from the lake. Drive up the access road to the gate and walk down if you want to check it out.

bobbutts

There's another article on WMUR here. They linked up a PDF too with at least part of the most recent plan.
One thing that I hadn't see before was a proposal for lights on North, Spruce, and South Peaks. For me, the last thing I want is another night area with no high speed lifts, Gunstock is such a waste for night because that lift is way too slow and short. Crotched is the place to go.
Another thing I hadn't noticed before was the plan to make the current Sunapee Express Quad into a 6-pack.
I know there's a bunch of grumbling over people blocking these expansions. Not me, I want Sunapee to expand as much as they want.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sunbowl quad has already been removed. The HSQ from Okemo is going in shortly. I believe that's it for this summer. The slow quad will replace the slow triple on North Peak and the slow triple will go from the Sunbowl to North Peak. Maybe that will happen next summer.

Don't think you can see anything from the lake. Drive up the access road to the gate and walk down if you want to check it out.

Are they reusing the towers for the Sunbowl?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
An exerpt from the Master Plan that caught my eye:

...expansion of our lease hold by an additional 178 acres from the current 968 acres to 1,143 acres.

It's nothing new to point out that Eastern and Western ski area acreages are caculated different, but to put some numbers on it is interesting. I would call Sunapee a mid sized area at best, and 1,143 acres would be bigger than A-Basin for example.

Smellytele

An exerpt from the Master Plan that caught my eye:

It's nothing new to point out that Eastern and Western ski area acreages are caculated different, but to put some numbers on it is interesting. I would call Sunapee a mid sized area at best, and 1,143 acres would be bigger than A-Basin for example.

This would be total leased area not the skiable area

Savemeasammy

Now only if they had a boundary-to-boundary policy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powbmps

More like if they had the snowfall to take advantage of a boundary-to-boundary policy.

Yes. This last season wasn't bad towards the end, but the woods were almost unskiable the two season before.

That Tin Cup area would be pretty sweet with a bit of clean up. Anyone up for a workday?

Puck it

Yes. This last season wasn't bad towards the end, but the woods were almost unskiable the two season before.

That Tin Cup area would be pretty sweet with a bit of clean up. Anyone up for a workday?
. Tin Cup is pretty good. They are very conservative in opening their glades. There are ways of going in without ducking ropes.