• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee latest news on expansion - west bowl

While Tin Cup is pretty good, it is kind of a slog to get out of.

Regarding the West Bowl, they're saying that four new trails would be added, but the maps that I have seen in the master plan show many more trails than that.

Savemeasammy

That Tin Cup area would be pretty sweet with a bit of clean up. Anyone up for a workday?

I've always thought this area looked like it would be skiable. I take it that Sunapee is ok with people venturing off-trail? It looks like there might be some good stuff in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powbmps

They are not okay with people venturing off-piste.

True, but I went in there a few years ago and ended up right behind a patroller showing a buddy around. She had a look on her face like I busted her .

skiberg

Unfortunately they are describing the proposed new terrain as basically Sunapee Intermediate. Nothing new or exciting to draw my interest and probably much of the same for the members here.

Puck it

I've always thought this area looked like it would be skiable. I take it that Sunapee is ok with people venturing off-trail? It looks like there might be some good stuff in there.

There a couple drops but the trees or should I saplings do get tight.

Weekdays are much better to go exploring. Less gapers around to worry for the patrollers.

Savemeasammy

There a couple drops but the trees or should I saplings do get tight.

Weekdays are much better to go exploring. Less gapers around to worry for the patrollers.

I used to live in Sutton, not too far from there. Much of our land was nicely spaced hardwood, but it was filled in with a fair amount of striped maple, so I know what you mean...

Gapers? At Mt. Sunapee? Hmmm.... I hardly noticed ;)

Puck it

I used to live in Sutton, not too far from there. Much of our land was nicely spaced hardwood, but it was filled in with a fair amount of striped maple, so I know what you mean...

Gapers? At Mt. Sunapee? Hmmm.... I hardly noticed ;)

Weekday powder at Sunapee is not too bad when there is snow in the woods. They usually leave Sunbowl ungroomed and groom the crap out of the rest. But there are spots to hit when it gets a dump. Like under the HSQ from the base area that is roped off. Also the upper lifeline of the Sunbowl Quad.

bobbutts

My general rule of thumb is to go elsewhere when there's plenty of soft natural snow. Most of the on-map glades are either too flat or have bad double fall lines. Sunapee is great for the significant part of the season when that stuff is bulletproof.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Unfortunately they are describing the proposed new terrain as basically Sunapee Intermediate. Nothing new or exciting to draw my interest and probably much of the same for the members here.

Really depends on how the trails are cut. I don't mind intermediate pitch terrain if it's got curves / flow to it. If a couple of those trails are like say Upper Cannon or Ravine from Cannon or Jester from Sugarbush, I'd love to ski it. If they put in 4 more Blast Offs then well, Sunapee can go screw.

Tin Woodsman

Really depends on how the trails are cut. I don't mind intermediate pitch terrain if it's got curves / flow to it. If a couple of those trails are like say Upper Cannon or Ravine from Cannon or Jester from Sugarbush, I'd love to ski it. If they put in 4 more Blast Offs then well, Sunapee can go screw.

Assuming it's an accurate representation of the planned layout and dmensions, the map on page 45 of the new MDP document indicates that Blast Off will look like a Sel Hannah gem by comparison.

VTKilarney

If it thinks out crowds on other part of the mountain there is at least a side benefit to the expansion.