• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski NY

Warp Daddy

My experience is, even then you are taking a chance. Never been there with good conditions. Wife will never go back. Impressive mountain though and I'm sure a blast under good conditions.

I could go for a AZ/Harvey Road weekend at Magic then Plattekill with an over night in the Albany Area.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Alex : Try Gore !!!! Its is the real deal with beaucoup options for all

4aprice

Alex : Try Gore !!!! Its is the real deal with beaucoup options for all

WD Been to Gore and loved it. Lots of new there that I would love to check out too. (wish discounts were easier to come by) My suggestions of the Catskill areas are solely due to the fact that you've got guys/gals like Nick coming from the Boston area and others coming from the NYC area. As I said WF is the furthest of all but Gore while fairly easy (not as easy as a Catskill run) for me IMO would not be easy for people coming from Eastern New England areas. If they want to travel that far it would be no problem for me to get to Gore. Spend a decent amount of time in the Lake George area as it is.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

In my world Gore or Whiteface would be cool. From Pittsford, VT. Gore is 1 1/2 hours, Whiteface 2 hrs. Very doable for a day trip from where i hang in VT.. On the other hand the Catskills are 3 hours or better no matter whether I leave from Pittsford, VT. or Brooklyn, NY. I understand others have different departure points. Just giving my perspective.

BenedictGomez

I think Gore would make the most sense in terms of: mean travel for most folks + quality of skiing.

The problem with Gore is the lack of lodging, but if people are cool staying 45'ish minutes from the mountain it's not a problem.

mriceyman

Theyre are some motels close if youre not looking for luxury

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

goldsbar

Rent has had a negative stigma in this country for far too long.

Historically speaking, rent HAS been the poorer choice in most markets, to the point where if you ask most people, they'll tell you you're "wasting money" by renting, and that home ownership is always a better choice.

Brought to you by your not-so-local real estate agent and mortgage banker lobbyists! Home ownership is generally a mediocre investment at best in all but boom markets when you consider all of the maintenance and tax costs.

Not sure the Adirondacks are that much better (but still better). The wind at both NYS owned areas can be ferocious, with fresh snow blowing into woods which still often don't have decent coverage. All northeast areas get freeze thaw, but the 'Daks can really freeze. The longer I'm at this sport, the more constrained my choices have become. Belleayre because it's 2 hours and good enough with the friendly bump and woods policy, occasional Pkill if I can hit it right because it's really a special place, Sugarbush because it can be awesome (compared to anywhere, not just NE) and the weekly trip with a plane ticket.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Sorry been completely checked out on one of the best vacations I can remember.

Interesting thread, two of my favorite topics. NY skiing and rent vs buy. (What else did I miss).

IMO renting is probably better if you discount any (non-tangible or emotional) value you might get from "owning" AND you INVEST (vs spend) all that money you are saving.

Regarding the suggestion about an organized NY ski thing... where do AZers live? NYSB peeps are about 70% NY/NJ with a big part of that in Albany and NYC DMAs. Are you guys thinking of a day trip or two days? I've done many two days weekends with Plattekill and Gore. Love the drive up Route 30. Maybe a Friday/Saturday thing and you'd have the option to play Sunday by ear (Hickory! :) ).

Undoubtedly Nick has far better organization skills than I do, so I'm not sure I can be much help there. But I might be able to help with ticket and or lodging deals. Be great to debunk the idea that there is no place to stay in North Creek. (Maybe not easy to do, but great to do it!)

I've never paid for a room to ski. What would you guys consider a good price?

Think about what 50 or 100 additional lift tickets would mean to Plattekill. If I could help get that done it would be worth the effort for sure.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Platty/Gore on a Fri/Sat sounds great.

Maybe have it on one of the weekends that WF does their Super Sunday deal for those of us who would be interested. Flexibility is the king of the East.

BenedictGomez

Be great to debunk the idea that there is no place to stay in North Creek.

I didnt realize that, so put me down for one of the clueless ones. When I've skied Gore the last few years I've stayed in Rhinebeck (about 1/2-way point) at gf's family, woke up early, and drove the last 2h 15m.

Think about what 50 or 100 additional lift tickets would mean to Plattekill. If I could help get that done it would be worth the effort for sure.

I'm game for pretty much anything that can help that place, financially or otherwise. I wish I didnt live so far away.

Platty/Gore on a Fri/Sat sounds great.

I love the Platty/Gore idea, but just for realistically getting the largest headcount possible I think it should be Saturday/Sunday. Plus, zero crowds at Platty on Saturday, then hit Gore with the lesser Sunday crowds.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Thinking out loud again.

If you stay in NC for 2 nights, Fri and Sat then it's Plattekill Friday, and your choice Saturday and/or Sunday at Gore or Whiteface. Not sure how that works with advance tickets, but it might.

For me, after driving to and from Plattekill the night before, I'll want to get up and go to Gore, saving the audible for Sunday.

If Hickory got in there somehow, all the better.

x10003q

If you want to do this right pick Catskills or Adirondacks.

Catskills would be ski Hunter Friday and Plattekill Saturday and Sunday or try Belleayre or Windham on Sunday. Staying in Hunter can be a good time.

Adirondacks would be ski Gore on Friday and stay in Gore. Saturday morning drive the 1:10 up to Whiteface for the day(unless conditions suck or there are wind issues), return to Gore and ski Gore Sunday. There are decent deals to be had for renting townhouses in North Creek (Gore) that throw in the 3rd night for the price of 2 nights. If you are lucky maybe Hickory is open on Sunday and you can ski that on the way home. Hickory is about 30 minutes south of Gore.

Another option for the Adirondacks would be stay in Lake Placid and ski Whiteface Friday and Saturday and ski Gore on Sunday on the way home.